Noise from behind the dash, rattle at specific rpm

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX HS, 2015 Jetta Trendline+
Country flag
I was driving across a 10 lane fast bridge when I heard a noise from something getting hit underneath. I figured the car should easily take that kind of hit, I did not worry.

Then I noticed that at a certain RPM, I would get this cheap rattle sound behind the dash. Being a new car, I was at the dealer, like as soon as I could replicate it.

They took the dash out, had a look, checked everything out, nothing. I took the tech for a drive, replicated it and he found it.

That thin aluminum plate under the engine deformed and at a certain speed set up some kind of resonance that came up through the firewall, sounding like it was from the dash.

They bent it back the best they could, but it still made the rattle, so I used some Gorrilla Tape, and it is as it was new. I bought the new bits, will get them on when the weather is pleasant.
Sponsored

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
I get something similar around 2700 rpm, havent found the scource, maybe ill look under the car

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was driving across a 10 lane fast bridge when I heard a noise from something getting hit underneath. I figured the car should easily take that kind of hit, I did not worry.

Then I noticed that at a certain RPM, I would get this cheap rattle sound behind the dash. Being a new car, I was at the dealer, like as soon as I could replicate it.

They took the dash out, had a look, checked everything out, nothing. I took the tech for a drive, replicated it and he found it.

That thin aluminum plate under the engine deformed and at a certain speed set up some kind of resonance that came up through the firewall, sounding like it was from the dash.

They bent it back the best they could, but it still made the rattle, so I used some Gorrilla Tape, and it is as it was new. I bought the new bits, will get them on when the weather is pleasant.
I get something similar around 2700 rpm, havent found the scource, maybe ill look under the car

Hope it works..

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
What RPM? I get a resonance from what sounds like the front right of the engine bay at 2100-2200 RPM. I didn't think to check the underbody trays.

NMRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Thats about the rpm mine is at and only when accelerating or clutching around there

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am getting an oil change this morning and I will ask them to put back a new cover I bought a while ago. I get the sound more reliably from wind underneath the car about 70km/hr. I will take a test drive after and follow up, hopefully with some pictures..

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am getting an oil change this morning and I will ask them to put back a new cover I bought a while ago. I get the sound more reliably from wind underneath the car about 70km/hr. I will take a test drive after and follow up, hopefully with some pictures..
Honda Civic 10th gen Noise from behind the dash, rattle at specific rpm splash shield.JPG

The weird noise is now gone... I am going to straighten this one out as best I can on a flat surface. Gonna take my time to get it perfect, because the air gets underneath it at rattles it like the skin on a drum. Almost thinking some weather stripping would take this repair up to 11...

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
splash shield.JPG

The weird noise is now gone... I am going to straighten this one out as best I can on a flat surface. Gonna take my time to get it perfect, because the air gets underneath it at rattles it like the skin on a drum. Almost thinking some weather stripping would take this repair up to 11...

The part is called Engine Cover Lower... It is a really cheap part less then $16... My dealership sold me the entire bottom plastic surround as well for over $115... Geez, that stings.. Just buy one of these puppies and swap it out next oil change and see if the miracle occurs...

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~plate~fr~engine~cover~lower~74114-tr0-a00.html

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you guys go to the dealer for oil changes, check this thing every time. The dealer put mine on half assed and caused it to bend all up as they put it over the clips instead of sliding it onto them.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
I've got a slight buzzing occasionally around the 2-2.5k rpm range. Sounds like it's directly behind the head unit. I'm guessing it's a resonance issue since it only started happening after I installed my aftermarket intake. Could probably just be the one plastic clip I lost in the engine compartment abyss. Not enough to really bother me ultimately, but being attuned to every little detail it does drive me a little batty sometimes when I'm driving in quiet mode (no tunes, at night on a long calm strip of highway).

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've got a slight buzzing occasionally around the 2-2.5k rpm range. Sounds like it's directly behind the head unit. I'm guessing it's a resonance issue since it only started happening after I installed my aftermarket intake. Could probably just be the one plastic clip I lost in the engine compartment abyss. Not enough to really bother me ultimately, but being attuned to every little detail it does drive me a little batty sometimes when I'm driving in quiet mode (no tunes, at night on a long calm strip of highway).
I am thinking of using some durable weather stripping to reduce vibration. Hope you find the clip... happy hunting!

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The part is called Engine Cover Lower... It is a really cheap part less then $16... My dealership sold me the entire bottom plastic surround as well for over $115... Geez, that stings.. Just buy one of these puppies and swap it out next oil change and see if the miracle occurs...

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~plate~fr~engine~cover~lower~74114-tr0-a00.html
That part says it only fits up to a 2015 civic, mine is a 2017 and you have to buy more than just the metal piece and its 106.00 part # 9 ...
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2017-honda-civic-2dr-ex-turbo-cvt-ka-cvt/under-cover.html

OP
OP

BestCarEver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Crazy... I paid $115 for the whole thing, what a waste. Maybe in a while it will be available. This part is removed when the oil is changed, as such I see no reason to bundle it. Anyhow... The part number on the stamping is 74114 TBA. I would take it off, straighten it out, put some weather stripping on it to compensate for irregular shape... and back she goes...

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic 2.0L Coupe
Country flag
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, did the rattling sound like this? I recently purchased a certified used 2019 Civic Coupe Sport 2.0L and I've been having this noise occur around 2k-3k rpm. It's been to two different dealerships who ruled out anything engine related, but they can't seem to pinpoint where this metal rattle is coming from. I looked under the car and saw that my engine cover looked a bit similar to OP's. Anybody know what this noise could be? It's driving me insane. Any suggestions are appreciated!! (You can hear it clearly around the 15-18 second mark...)

Last edited: