austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Trying to figure out why my 2017 Honda Civic Hatch (EX-L w/ Nav trim) doesn't have TPMS.

I do not have the button to the left of the steering wheel, i do see a TPMS calibration on the radio in the settings though.

Trying to see if i actually have TPMS or no.....Any other way to tell?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You have TPMS. It works automatically. If a tire is low you will get a light on the dash. After filling the tires to the proper psi, go into settings and re-calibrate. That's it.

OP
OP

austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
You have TPMS. It works automatically. If a tire is low you will get a light on the dash. After filling the tires to the proper psi, go into settings and re-calibrate. That's it.

Gotcha, what is the point of even having the button on the left side of the dash then? I know other models have it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the lower trim models use that button to recalibrate because their infotainment system is more basic and doesn't include the calibration settings.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
As mentioned, the system will tell you when a tire is low because it monitors the speed of the tires. But it won't tell you which one is low. The tires do not have sensors that provide individual PSI readouts so you'll never know what the actual pressure is. Some people miss that functionality. But you'll never have to replace TPMS sensors when their batteries die because you don't have the sensors. Or if you buy another set of wheels & snow tires you won't have the added cost of buying another set of sensors. Pros & cons to each system.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
You need to drive 30 mins within 30 to 65 mph after pressing recalibrate.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There is no actual TPMS sensor in the tires, the TPMS system in the Civics are what are considered passive systems. They measure the difference between wheel speed (I think it's hooked into the ABS system) and if anything is off for X miles it'll throw up the light. The system has a very good true positive rate (if it is low, the system will rarely miss it) but a poor false positive rate (if the system says it's low, it may not actually be).

As other stated you recalibrate using either the button on your car or the infotainment. If you have major issues with false positives, it may be useful to completely reset it. To do this, make sure your tire pressures are at factory requirements, then recalibrate it 3 times in a row. The tire pressure light should blink on your dashboard when you do this. Then drive the 30 minutes within 30-65 MPH. The dealership is supposed to do this upon delivery of the vehicle, but they sometimes forget.
Sponsored