gee-dubR32

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GOLF R, 2019 AEGEAN BLUE CIVIC TYPE R
Country flag
[F]ollowed the initial startup instruction by Hondata and car started fine.
Good to know things appeared to work after your initial install.

Question 1-- since car started up fine after your first install, during your work to add the battery tray, did you remove or unlock any harnesses to the ECU? Maybe bad prong or harness not fully connected?

Question 2-- have you tried exiting the car, locking and unlocking + trying the start button again? Maybe immobilizer?
Sponsored

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not sure if it's the same thing that happened to me 1.5 years ago when we were first able to unlock our ECUs. I did the same thing, reinstalled ECU, did the procedure, and started the car. Let it run for about 10/15 minutes and shut the car off, put away all my tools and went to plug in my Ktuner and move the car out of the garage and as soon as I plugged the Ktuner in I heard a "Click" (might not have been related as the Ktuner units don't have their own power source) and the car would not start. Got the same touchscreen asking for the passcode and errors, and ultimately my ECU blew a resistor somehow and required me to buy a new one and jailbreak it again. I don't have any idea how this was caused, especially because the car started perfectly fine, but I hope the same didn't happen to you. I'm not too sure about Hondata, but Ktuner took care of me and honestly to this day I don't think they had to. I don't see how the unit could pop a resistor in the ECU when it doesn't have any power. But I also am not an electrical engineer. I hope everything gets sorted out for you two.

OP
OP

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
:confused1::confused1: Really hope the ECU isn’t bricked but it’s sounding like it may be.
Not sure if it's the same thing that happened to me 1.5 years ago when we were first able to unlock our ECUs. I did the same thing, reinstalled ECU, did the procedure, and started the car. Let it run for about 10/15 minutes and shut the car off, put away all my tools and went to plug in my Ktuner and move the car out of the garage and as soon as I plugged the Ktuner in I heard a "Click" (might not have been related as the Ktuner units don't have their own power source) and the car would not start. Got the same touchscreen asking for the passcode and errors, and ultimately my ECU blew a resistor somehow and required me to buy a new one and jailbreak it again. I don't have any idea how this was caused, especially because the car started perfectly fine, but I hope the same didn't happen to you. I'm not too sure about Hondata, but Ktuner took care of me and honestly to this day I don't think they had to. I don't see how the unit could pop a resistor in the ECU when it doesn't have any power. But I also am not an electrical engineer. I hope everything gets sorted out for you two.

jimalan1989

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1986 Dodge Conquest Tsi
Country flag
I guess are case is slightly different, my car never started even once. I have the exact same issues you have though other wise

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Hope you get it resolved.

Sure doesn't give me the warm-fuzzies about fooling around with the ECU...

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Very unlikely the ECU is bricked. I had a similar issue. Jailbroken car would start only once. Backup-flashed it again with the jailbroken software and the same happened - would start only once. Turned out that checksums were not recalculated during the jailbreak. Once my tuner recalculated checksums on the jailbroken software car is running fine.

The jailbreak is literally 2 bytes (yes, two bytes) in the software changed, btw.

OP
OP

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
Don’t think it’s a software issue as we Haven’t even flashed the ECU due to there being no connectivity with ECU.
Very unlikely the ECU is bricked. I had a similar issue. Jailbroken car would start only once. Backup-flashed it again with the jailbroken software and the same happened - would start only once. Turned out that checksums were not recalculated during the jailbreak. Once my tuner recalculated checksums on the jailbroken software car is running fine.

The jailbreak is literally 2 bytes (yes, two bytes) in the software changed, btw.

OP
OP

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
Hondata sent an RMA with prepaid shipping label, from a brief phone convo they said it’s not hardware related and will have it back to me before thanksgiving :thumbsup:

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Don’t think it’s a software issue as we Haven’t even flashed the ECU due to there being no connectivity with ECU.
What do you mean by „we have not flashed the ECU”? How was the jailbreak even performed then if not by a backup flash (programming interface plugged straight into ECU pins)?

jdm_94

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type R & 14 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Please keep us informed what was the problem!! That's exactly why I considering wait until a Hondata's jailbroken tour near me to avoid all this kind sh@#!! Hope you get your R running before thanksgiving!

jimalan1989

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1986 Dodge Conquest Tsi
Country flag
I wasn’t able to ship mine today as I was about two hours from the house for work. So I will be shipping mine out tomorrow morning so I may not get mine back before the holiday but luckily I don’t exactly have to depend on the car as I typically drive my company vehicle and we have the wife’s van for non work day activities. Don’t be afraid of using Hondata, I think me and the OP are two of those few rare cases as they do hundreds of them

njd2007

First Name
njd2007
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Sorry I have nothing to aid in a solution. But I do have a question. Do you have to jailbreak the ECU when adding a KTuner or Hondata device? If the day comes for me to go with such an upgrade, and use one of their preprogrammed tunes does the ECU have to be broken first? Why are we jailbreaking and ECU in the first place?

OP
OP

Japsw20

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR
Country flag
Yea, ECU is locked from factory and needs to be jailbroken..

And an update, Hondata sent me a prepaid overnight shipping label yesterday, dropped it off at FedEx last night at 7pm, it was at hondata this morning and on its way back to me by 1pm eastern time. Should be receiving it tomorrow!
Sorry I have nothing to aid in a solution. But I do have a question. Do you have to jailbreak the ECU when adding a KTuner or Hondata device? If the day comes for me to go with such an upgrade, and use one of their preprogrammed tunes does the ECU have to be broken first? Why are we jailbreaking and ECU in the first place?

njd2007

First Name
njd2007
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Geez I had no idea. I've watched dozens of vids and so far I haven't heard that was something that needed to be done. Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored