No sound after windshield replacement

Strykr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Touring 1.5T, 18 F150 (480whp), 07 Impreza
Country flag
Hey everyone, just had my windshield replaced and now I have no sound from my head unit. I checked the two fuses in the engine bay and fuse 20 (I believe that was the number under the dash), manually rebooted the stereo, and made sure it wasn't muted lol

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue? Seems odd that would have happened and the shop isn't even helping out yet it worked before it went in and stopped after it came out.

It's a 2016 Touring so it has the factory amp, and Im hoping it's not blown!
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Respectfully...

Double check the amp fuse under the hood. Grab a flashlight and shine it through the back of the thing. Or test it with a meter. Or replace it with a known 'good' fuse of the same value. You wouldn't be the first person to eyeball a blown fuse and declare it 'good'.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey everyone, just had my windshield replaced and now I have no sound from my head unit. I checked the two fuses in the engine bay and fuse 20 (I believe that was the number under the dash), manually rebooted the stereo, and made sure it wasn't muted lol

Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue? Seems odd that would have happened and the shop isn't even helping out yet it worked before it went in and stopped after it came out.

It's a 2016 Touring so it has the factory amp, and Im hoping it's not blown!
Check #19 also.

OP
OP

Strykr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I've checked every fuse visually and with my multimeter, they're all good.

One thing I did forget to mention is I have signal and start up beeps, does that have its own speaker or do those sounds go through the HU/Amp?

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I believe that the center speaker handles notifications as well as music. But the signal for the non-music may have its own amp.

I suppose it's possible that the windshield folks (somehow) caused the cables to be disconnected from or killed the power amp in some other way. IIRC... it's located on the passenger side footwell behind a plastic panel.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
The keyless beeps go to the in-dash buzzer. HU key press beeps go thru the amplifier. Navigation voices also go thru the center speaker. Try enable HU key press beeps and do you hear key press beeps or nav (try both internal and AA) voices? How about hands free call? Don't forget to turn the volume up. If no voice at all, then here're some possible causes in no particular order
  • Blown fuse. Check under hood 19 (15A) and 20 (30A). 20 is solely for the amplifier
  • Loose connection. A loose connection in amplifier Connector A or C will shut down the amp.
  • There's a short in one your speakers. A short in any speaker will shut down the amplifier. Maybe center or the front tweeters since they're close to the windshield?

Last edited:

sleightahand

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Was this ever resolved? I just had a windshield replaced, and my audio stopped working immediately after the repair.

OP
OP

Strykr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was this ever resolved? I just had a windshield replaced, and my audio stopped working immediately after the repair.
Well I brought it into Honda after running am audio system diagnostic which showed the amp was not working. After going in they told me my head unit was dead along with the amp and both were $6k also on backorder. So because I was moving o decided to wait, after a few days the f*$&ing thing just randomly started working.

I've heard from a few techs that the original amp in the 16s were garbage and they released an upgraded model that didn't have the issues with overheating and audio cutting randomly. Either way it works right now, but if I have another issue the car is going to be thrown off a cliff... Lol I wish.. I'll probably replace the HU and Amp with better quality equipment.

Honestly I did LOTS of reading on this and it's usually the amp, a wire grounding out or it randomly fixes itself after a few days (not sure how that's a thing.. but it is and no a full power drain doesn't speed that process up it's been tried by a few of us with no difference)

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honestly I did LOTS of reading on this and it's usually the amp, a wire grounding out or it randomly fixes itself after a few days (not sure how that's a thing.. but it is and no a full power drain doesn't speed that process up it's been tried by a few of us with no difference)
I vaguely remember someone saying that they had to tighten a ground wire. If I have time I will try to search for it.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Last edited: