No sound after speaker install

goosala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I replaced all four lower door speakers in my 2020 Sport Hatchback with Infinity Reference 6532EX 6.5 inch speakers. No there is no audio from the head unit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

goosala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Did you use the proper speaker adapters to install them or did you just screw them to the panel?

If you just screwed them down it's possible that the terminals are grounding out and kicking the radio/amp into a protect mode.
I used mounting brackets and wiring harnesses from Red Wolf.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
In that case it's possible the Infinity 2 Ω speakers are too low of a load for the factory radio to drive.

A lot of modern factory radios have a built in protect mode that will disable the outputs on a channel if the load is too low. I know Chryslers, some Fords, and some euro cars do this. I'm not sure if the new Honda systems do too since I don't get a lot of hands on with Hondas in my shop and I've only had mine for less than a week.

I know I've swapped in Infinity components in a premium equipped Civic and they worked great. I'm still not an expert in these car's audio systems yet.

The best way to check is plug the factory speaker back in and see if the signal comes back. If it does the radio needs a 4 Ω load and you need to swap your speakers with a 4 Ω impedance.

If it doesn't then you have much bigger problems.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
Without getting too into the nuts and bolts of how speakers work the number in front of the Ω on the box is called "nominal impedance." It's the measure of impedance when the speaker is at rest with no power applied. When the speaker is playing the impedance will change drastically. A 4 Ω speaker will normally read at 3.5-3.7 Ω so a 3 Ω speaker can read as low as 2.5 Ω and still be considered a 3 Ω speaker. Each individual speaker is different from even others of the same model number.

Lower impedance speakers will play louder with the same input voltage as the lower impedance will draw more amperage leading to a higher wattage if measured at the speaker. That's how Ohm's law works.

It's more likely than not that the newer Honda head units (and by extension all the others) are seeing the increased amperage applied the the lower impedance speaker as a short to ground and shutting off the output.

The only way to know for sure is to plug in the factory speakers and see if they still work.

You can also buy some load generators and install a 4ch amp if you really wanna keep those speakers.

OP
OP

goosala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
THanks. I read that my speakers are 4 ohms afterall. They were recommended by a retailer on line so they should have been a simple plug and play. I will take my care to the dealer for a reflash / reset to see if this clears up the issue. Otherwise I might have to buy some new speakers.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
this happened to me once when i installed new speakers on my civic, it was because of a loose connection on one of the speakers, sometimes hitting the speaker area would get the speaker going again but i just rechecked the connections and it worked

OP
OP

goosala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Yep, after taking it to the dealer they found that two of the speakers were grounded by the positive wires. They checked all connections and secured them now the system works.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, after taking it to the dealer they found that two of the speakers were grounded by the positive wires. They checked all connections and secured them now the system works.
reviving this old thread, but i'm having issues with one of my speakers going out. Initially I thought the speaker blew but I replacer it with a new speaker and still no audio. I checked all my wiring and noticed whenever I plugged the speaker in, the speaker will kinda buzz and if I turned the car on the speaker will pop and no audio.

Before I completely had no audio, my audio would cut out if I hit a bump and sometimes it'll come back by itself, sometimes it comes back after hitting another bump.

I was wondering if Honda honored warranty with aftermarket speakers?

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
reviving this old thread, but i'm having issues with one of my speakers going out. Initially I thought the speaker blew but I replacer it with a new speaker and still no audio. I checked all my wiring and noticed whenever I plugged the speaker in, the speaker will kinda buzz and if I turned the car on the speaker will pop and no audio.

Before I completely had no audio, my audio would cut out if I hit a bump and sometimes it'll come back by itself, sometimes it comes back after hitting another bump.

I was wondering if Honda honored warranty with aftermarket speakers?
Yours sounds like some loose connections. Have you tried opening the door back up and reseating the connections?

Mine keeps cutting the speakers out when i get above a certain volume so idk whats going on...

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yours sounds like some loose connections. Have you tried opening the door back up and reseating the connections?

Mine keeps cutting the speakers out when i get above a certain volume so idk whats going on...
I thought so too but after fiddling with it many times and even trying the stock speakers, it ended up being a faulty head unit that I got replaced under warranty

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah i didn't even think about that. Wondering if mine could be related.
Sponsored