No Power to Head Unit

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
So I got in my car today and when I turned it on there was no power delivered to the head unit. The buttons along the left side of the dash screen are not illuminated and do not respond to touch. Because of this there is no audio, no navigation, no lanewatch camera, no backup camera, no voice control, no bluetooth connectivity, no Android Auto connectivity, no manual climate control. Basically anything that relies on the Android system in the car has stopped working. Surprisingly the Auto climate control works, and seems responsive to changes in temperature. All other electronics in the car seem to work. I am able to toggle Honda Sensing features, brake hold, parking brake, econ mode, everything else seems to work. It even seems to be updating MPG information on the instrument cluster.

When I attempt to use the steering wheel buttons to navigate the cluster info to Navigation or Audio, I get a constant loading icon.

I was able to bring it to the service department immediately after this happened so I could show them the problem. I will be dropping the car off tomorrow.

Anyone heard of this happening before? Between trying to reboot the system myself, and showing the service tech receptionist, the car was restarted probably 10 or so times within a 30 minute period and nothing helped the issue.
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A loose connection or something? That really seems odd.

E39_EmFive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I literally just had this happen to me just now, left the car off for a good 10 minutes and it started right back up.

OP
OP

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
So when I turned on my car this morning, the head unit powered up and took a long time to boot. When it finally did I had a message "ANTI Theft Sytstem: this system has lost power. Push and hold the power button for more than two seconds to enable the system."

So I just dropped it off at the dealership. The receptionist took my picture of the anti theft message and showed it to a guy out back. She came back trying to tell me to keep an eye on it and that it could be a good thing that it went into a disabled mode if someone was trying to steal my head unit or something. Yeah, wow. I am having them do the most recent audio update today, and I told them to take another look at the subwoofer rattling.

At this point I feel like I'm getting nowhere with my dealership. Every time I have a problem with this car, they tell me it's either a good thing or that it's something Honda doesn't have the capability to fix.

ravensword21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T WOP
Yeah this happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Same situation. I had an appointment with the dealership but eventually cancelled because the power was restored after getting off work. I haven't had any problems since then.

OP
OP

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Yeah this happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Same situation. I had an appointment with the dealership but eventually cancelled because the power was restored after getting off work. I haven't had any problems since then.
Very interesting.

I had the audio TSB 16-022 scheduled for next Wendesday. I asked them to do the update today since I had my car there. I also asked them to take a look at to what could have caused the screen to lose power, as well as asked them to again take a look at the subwoofer rattling issue.

They just called back saying they were able to complete the audio software update. But i'm getting nowhere regarding the subwoofer rattle and the touchscreen losing power. Going to have to contact corporate and start causing a stink.

OP
OP

madroxinide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Picked my car up. Audio update was completed. System seems a bit snappier now, better refresh rate on the lanewatch camera. I"m not entirely sure it fixed my bluetooth skipping/stuttering upon connect, but I haven't had a chance to put it through the ringer yet.

They didn't even attempt to look into my touchscreen loss of power that I experienced last night. They told me to keep an eye on it and that because it was working again when I brought it in today, there was nothing for them to check into.

What are the magic words I need to say to get the level of service I should expect for these nonsensical issues on a brand new car? It's obvious my dealership wants to do the bare minimum. They have pretty much told me that if there isn't a TSB that I can point to, all I can do is record my issues with them.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
What are the magic words I need to say to get the level of service I should expect for these nonsensical issues on a brand new car? It's obvious my dealership wants to do the bare minimum. They have pretty much told me that if there isn't a TSB that I can point to, all I can do is record my issues with them.
The dealers can only fix broken stuff--hardware--or things Honda has told them how to fix or given them updated code to fix. In particular, they have zero ability to debug/fix software issues. The reason they want to do the bare minimum is they don't want to do stuff they know or suspect Honda won't pay them to do.
Sponsored