OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX HS, 2008 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
How many quarts of oil do these engines contain? Is the skid plate really able to hold that much oil? There weren't any warnings on the dash - warning light, low oil pressure, etc., anytime before this happened? No oil under the car or anywhere after being parked? I tend to check my oil level weekly and am glad that I do.
No engine lights prior to today and no oil stains on my driveway that I noticed. There was a big long stain today though which happened as I was driving out of the driveway so obviously I didn't notice it until I got back into the driveway. My guess is that yesterday the drain screw loosened up enough to actually start leaking or leaking more.

I'm really surprised they are working with you at all given the amount of time that has elapsed. How do they know that someone else hadn't touched the oil plug, etc. If they do help you, I think you should go buy a lottery ticket.
Why would I touch the oil plug? I do all of my maintenance for both of my Hondas at this dealership. Plus, the tow truck driver saw me taking of the skid plate and he spoke with them too.

OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm skeptical. I don't believe your story. Over 600 miles since the change. Oil must have been leaking for quite some time. It took quite a while for the drain bolt to back out that far. There is no pressure on the oil there. It must have been dripping since the washer lost contact with the oil pan.

Can't believe over 4 quarts of oil could be captured with no leaks by the sheet metal cover below. There are two holes in the cover near the oil drain bolt.

The low oil pressure light must have been on prior to this episode.
Maybe it was collecting slowly in the skid plate and was blown away as I was driving (like Design said above)? Maybe, only last night it finally started to leak more? The service manager insisted there was still oil in the engine as they had drained it all the way. I guess the dip stick being dry does not mean that there is no oil in the engine.

Anyway, the service manager wanted to deliver the car to me today since they didn't find anything wrong in the cylinders by using the endoscope but I refused to take it till I talk to the general manager about least an extended warranty.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They put new oil in, cleared the codes and said it is good to go :doh:. I said no way, left the car there and I'm waiting for the manager who starts in 2 hours. I will be asking for the extended engine warranty at the least.

This is Orangeville Honda (Ontario) by the way. The same guys that sold me this civic two days after Stop Sale because of the piston ring recall. Shady stuff, I wasn't going to go back to them after the recall issue but the location was too convenient for me, I'm done with them after this though.
Write a registered letters to the dealer and Honda Canada with photo of the drain plug and your story. Plus copy of the bill of your oil change. Tell them they are responsible for any future damage to the engine.
Store copy of the letter in your file.

Good luck

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I'm skeptical. I don't believe your story. Over 600 miles since the change. Oil must have been leaking for quite some time. It took quite a while for the drain bolt to back out that far. There is no pressure on the oil there. It must have been dripping since the washer lost contact with the oil pan.

Can't believe over 4 quarts of oil could be captured with no leaks by the sheet metal cover below. There are two holes in the cover near the oil drain bolt.

The low oil pressure light must have been on prior to this episode.
We simply don't know how or when the bolt began to back itself out. But it goes without mentioning that we should be checking fluids at every fill-up. :cool:

For the record, there is definitely crankcase pressure there during operation.

Last edited:

OP
OP

Krispy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We simply don't know how or when the bolt began to back itself out. But it goes without mentioning that we should be checking fluids at every fill-up. :cool:

For the record, there is definitely crankcase pressure there during operation.
Yeah and I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, I simply want to find out probability of damage to the engine.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's unbelievable that they will not take responsibility for their screw up.

I know not everyone can DIY but horror stories like this is why I do it myself.

If they're certain there's no damage why not extend the warranty as a sign of an apology.

I'm guessing they didn't even refund the oil change?

Sorry to hear, good luck.

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
I would say the engine is most definitely damaged. Knocking in engines with low oil is almost always bad news. I agree about the registered letter to dealer and Honda Canada with all the documentation. Get a sworn statement from tow driver if possible and include in letter. This will be the benchmark for any later lawsuit if you so choose.

Yeah and I'm not here to convince anyone of anything, I simply want to find out probability of damage to the engine.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I would definitely call Honda Canada. This dealer sucks ass. You should hint about putting this story on social media. Look what it did for the guy on the United flight. Also, the bolt was probably hand tightned and the dipshit forgot to torque it. Until the bolt backs out enough, you won't lose much oil. A few threads out and the oil will just drip, after it backed out enough, it leaked a lot.

MrVvrroomm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L sedan (sold), 2018 Volvo S90 T6
Country flag
How many times has the oil been changed on this car? I zoomed in on your oil plug and it looks like someone used either a Crescent wrench or Vice-Grips on it.

Jiffy-Lube-type places are notorious for NOT using the correct sized 6 point socket. They use adjustable (Crescent) wrenches.

Just remember: no one cares about YOUR car more than YOU do. I do my own oil changes, as well as ALL maintenance on every internal combustion engine that I own.

I stopped changing my own oil in my cars when I started leasing them.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Good luck OP, let us know what ends up happening. Hopefully he gets at least a warranty, but I have a feeling the dealer is really going to try very hard to push him out the door and say SOL. Horrible situation on a brand new car that I'm sure he worked hard for to buy.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How can Honda or any other company for that matter cannot step in. This is clearly the dealers fault and this is their name.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
No engine lights prior to today and no oil stains on my driveway that I noticed. There was a big long stain today though which happened as I was driving out of the driveway so obviously I didn't notice it until I got back into the driveway. My guess is that yesterday the drain screw loosened up enough to actually start leaking or leaking more.

Why would I touch the oil plug? I do all of my maintenance for both of my Hondas at this dealership. Plus, the tow truck driver saw me taking of the skid plate and he spoke with them too.
This literally just happened to me. On Easter all the oil leaked out of my car while I was visiting my parents and that's the first time the check engine light came on. My car was serviced 2-3 wks prior and I had no indication that nothing was wrong.

The drain oil plug was loose in my situation. The manager at the Honda that messed up was upset and took care of me.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I would definitely call Honda Canada. This dealer sucks ass. You should hint about putting this story on social media. Look what it did for the guy on the United flight. Also, the bolt was probably hand tightned and the dipshit forgot to torque it. Until the bolt backs out enough, you won't lose much oil. A few threads out and the oil will just drip, after it backed out enough, it leaked a lot.
Not only a call a registered letter is a must. You should have a proof you advise Honda Canada and the dealer

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How can Honda or any other company for that matter cannot step in. This is clearly the dealers fault and this is their name.
We can return everything at Walmart or at most stores, for a car there is no way
Sponsored