No more Coupe!

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
I don't know why the coupe is made exclusively for the US? I am very very sure a lot of us here in SE Asia would love the coupe.
Because people wouldn't buy it? :dunno:

Companies (especially a big company like Honda) do a lot of research on what will sell in a given market. This can sometimes leave the consumers scratching their heads as to why they made a choice, but it's usually for a good reason based on factual data. Companies need to make money on their products if they want to remain in business.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Yes the 88 Prelude was definitely a nice upgrade over the 87. I never got to drive the 88 style, but it was beautiful. Back in the day, the Preludes were priced like the CTR is now (maybe not that high, but they were expensive). Back in those days I had to settle for an 81 Nissan 200sx hatchback. I still wish I could have gotten one of the last Preludes in a Pearl white with the black and tan interior. but oh that steering wheel is huge compared to the current generation of cars. Unless its just my imagination. Oh well I do really like my SI coupe. : )
Yeah it's funny how my taste changes over the years. If you ask me to pick between this Si and the 2000 Prelude, I would pick this Si every time. The price for the 2000 Prelude was about the same or maybe even slightly more than a 2000 Accord V6 and the Prelude probably performed slightly better as I had beaten many V6 Accords of that time on the street. And funny enough, I paid about the same for both the 2000 Prelude and the 2020 Si. So I'd agree with you that the cost for the Prelude was equivalent to the CTR price adjusted. The S2K back then was about $33K and way way out of my price range, bummer!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Yeah it's funny how my taste changes over the years. If you ask me to pick between this Si and the 2000 Prelude, I would pick this Si every time. The price for the 2000 Prelude was about the same or maybe even slightly more than a 2000 Accord V6 and the Prelude probably performed slightly better as I had beaten many V6 Accords of that time on the street. And funny enough, I paid about the same for both the 2000 Prelude and the 2020 Si. So I'd agree with you that the cost for the Prelude was equivalent to the CTR price adjusted. The S2K back then was about $33K and way way out of my price range, bummer!
Yes, cars are relatively cheap nowadays. In 1996 the average new engineer salary was like $35k. My Integra GSR was $23k. Now the new engineer salary is like $70k, and an Si is $26k. Lot of wages haven't improved that much but it's just an example.

pdrumns

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe and 2019 Nissan Kicks
Country flag
Hmm yeah the combustion engines need to go, there needs to be new technology.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
This is a car forum, and you're the one trying to make it political.
What kind of car you can drive now and in the future is to a large extent a political issue, whether you like it or not. Honda Civic is what it is in large part for political reasons.
It should not be the job of politicians or governments to "eliminate an engine." But unfortunately, it might be so in the future.

mar6o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 5D Elegance Navi MT 1.0
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My previous car was a previous gen Renault Megane Coupe and Renault discontinued the coupe for the current gen Megane. The car I had before that was a 3-door Toyota Yaris and they killed that off as well.

We've seen the Golf, Focus, Astra, Leon, 1-class and A-class 3-doors vanish at one time or another...

We haven't seen an Accord-sized reasonably priced coupe in Europe for a long time. Arguably, the Renault Laguna Coupe was the last of those.

It's just the way things are. Every car is an SUV now, cause that's what the marketing has done- convinced people that they need an SUV rather than a hatchback.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag