No manual reverse lockout

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
I'm surprised that there is no manual lockout for reverse in the transmission. Haven't driven too many 6 speeds but my wife's Tiburon has a 6spd with the same sthift pattern and it has a ring on the shifter that has to be pulled up to shift into reverse.

Is the Honda way the normal way and I'm just not used to it? It isn't an issue. I was just curious.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I never had a manual car with a reverse lockout and actually never heard about such devices.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
I'm surprised that there is no manual lockout for reverse in the transmission. Haven't driven too many 6 speeds but my wife's Tiburon has a 6spd with the same sthift pattern and it has a ring on the shifter that has to be pulled up to shift into reverse.

Is the Honda way the normal way and I'm just not used to it? It isn't an issue. I was just curious.
Some cars have a lockout ring or whatever that is called like the tiburon example, but Honda doesn’t use one. Most european cars have one (especially when the reverse is near the first gear). And older manual Nissans also didn’t, at least the ones we had in my family.
Months after I started driving my 6 speed 9th gen civic I drove my fater’s nissan and I accidentally tried to shift into (the non-existing) 6th gear at about 90 km/h... of course it made a terrible grinding noise, but nothing broke. In that car the reverse was directly below the 5th gear without any kind of electromechanical or mechanical lockout.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I never had a manual car with a reverse lockout and actually never heard about such devices.
Old school. Most of the 60 & 70 Chevy 4-speeds had them. 64 Impala SS, early Sting Rays had a T handle on the floor shifter - because you could engage reverse going forward with it pulled up - not pretty.

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe, 2007 Nissan Xterra SE, 2008 Hyundai Tiburon SE, 1996 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Country flag
Honda 6 speeds have a lockout incorporated into the transmission, you can't easily engage reverse if you're more than creeping forward.
gotcha

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Some cars have a lockout ring or whatever that is called like the tiburon example, but Honda doesn’t use one. Most european cars have one (especially when the reverse is near the first gear). And older manual Nissans also didn’t, at least the ones we had in my family.
Months after I started driving my 6 speed 9th gen civic I drove my fater’s nissan and I accidentally tried to shift into (the non-existing) 6th gear at about 90 km/h... of course it made a terrible grinding noise, but nothing broke. In that car the reverse was directly below the 5th gear without any kind of electromechanical or mechanical lockout.
that is most 5speeds. Most of them you have to go into neutral then into reverse. they won't let you go directly from 5th to reverse. also going from 5th to 4th in a 5spd isn't as big of an issue as going from 5th to 6th

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
There is indeed a lock out in the manual to prevent reverse gear from a forward great while moving.

Honda Civic 10th gen No manual reverse lockout Screenshot_20201024-215651

OP
OP

scottgas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is indeed a lock out in the manual to prevent reverse gear from a forward great while moving.

Screenshot_20201024-215651.jpg
I'm not having any issues. Trans shifts beautifully. I was just a lil surprised that there wasn't a more blatant mechanism like I originally mentioned that's all.

Type_R_Luke

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R FK8
Country flag
Hello Guys,

yesterday i got my CTR back from Workshop and now I have issues with my reverse lock.

Normally I cant shift into reverse over 14 mph or 20kph but now it wont lock anymore. Theoretically I can shift into reverse any time and any speed....
Did somebody had issues like this on his CTR?
Does somebody know how the locking of the reverse shift is working?

happycamper515

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus
Country flag
The older MT cars I had before Civic used to have push down reverse gears so I was a little surprised when I didn't have to push down get to reverse the first time. VWs have reverse to the left of 1st gear which would seem to be a much more problematic place for reverse rather than to the right of 6th gear.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I drive few car in Europe with reverse lockout.
We don't need that.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
The older MT cars I had before Civic used to have push down reverse gears so I was a little surprised when I didn't have to push down get to reverse the first time. VWs have reverse to the left of 1st gear which would seem to be a much more problematic place for reverse rather than to the right of 6th gear.
If memory serves, VW is to the left of 1st *and* you have to push down to get to it. So it's not a problematic design.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Hello Guys,

yesterday i got my CTR back from Workshop and now I have issues with my reverse lock.

Normally I cant shift into reverse over 14 mph or 20kph but now it wont lock anymore. Theoretically I can shift into reverse any time and any speed....
Did somebody had issues like this on his CTR?
Does somebody know how the locking of the reverse shift is working?
The lock out is engaged over 9-10mph. With that said, were you just moving your shifter all the way to the right or were you actually engaging reverse. I hope I’m just taking your words literal lol

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
The lock out is engaged over 9-10mph. With that said, were you just moving your shifter all the way to the right or were you actually engaging reverse. I hope I’m just taking your words literal lol
A couple of times I was reversing against an uphill, I power uphill a bit, stopped, let the car roll forward a bit in neutral, stopped, tried to shift out of R but it wouldn't come out of R. Stuck in R. I had to either power thru R or shut the car off then back on to free it. So this is probably a quirk or it locks before 9 MPH.
Sponsored