NO Frills for Me !

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
I went through a 1000cc street bike phase awhile ago and got so many tickets in the first year that i was done with going fast. I got the stripped down LX 6 speed because I knew I was going to modify the entire car and didnt see the logic on paying a premium for a higher trim level that included parts i was going to replace anyway.
Sponsored

Touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2013 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw the thread title and thought "why would someone bump this?" and realized it was posted a few days ago. My favorite part about your multiple clones of this thread is how you question the reliability of the 1.5 engine yet you bought a car with a CVT transmission. A CVT will fail long before any Honda motor.

I bet you walk up to people with Teslas and Audis in the Applebee's parking lot and brag about your "no frills" base model Civic and how it doesn't have all the "problems" that their expensive cars have.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I went with the basic '16 LX, 2L NA engine, and CVT. I have a real volume KNOB. No rain sensing but an intermittent setting that I use a lot. No turbo worries. No infotainment; yes a smaller screen, but it works great all the time. No parking brake issues; it always sets or releases when I tell it; engine on or off at any time. None of the special sensing stuff, that I didn't want anyway. VERRY HAPPY WITH MY CHOICES ...

You sound like you are justifying. OMG a volume knob!! Yet you really end up just using the one on the steering wheel anyways. Whats a turbo worry?

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I remember when SteveGG said that his car would going to outlive him so I made a joke about his age and he replied with "I will end you" :D

OP
OP
andromeda

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
I remember when SteveGG said that his car would going to outlive him so I made a joke about his age and he replied with "I will end you" :D
I was quoting Niki K., half in jest, "We will bury you."

You sound like you are justifying. OMG a volume knob!! Yet you really end up just using the one on the steering wheel anyways. Whats a turbo worry?
I only mentioned the KNOB because a lot of people made a big deal out of there being none in the "higher" trims. I honestly wouldn't take any of the other crap if you paid me.

I answered the turbo worry thing in another post. Look for it.

I only mentioned the KNOB because a lot of people made a big deal out of there being none in the "higher" trims. I honestly wouldn't take any of the other crap if you paid me.

I answered the turbo worry thing in another post. Look for it.
PS - Reaching for a knob is a natural thing to adjust the volume. A passenger who wants to use a cell for example. Or other reason. Instead of asking the driver to do it. Capice ?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PS - Reaching for a knob is a natural thing to adjust the volume. A passenger who wants to use a cell for example. Or other reason. Instead of asking the driver to do it. Capice ?!
I don't reach for my knob while I'm driving. Ew.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Billy that's good to know but maybe TMI.;)

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Considering that steve only drives 1800 miles per year (avg 5 miles per day) i guess it doesn't make sense for him to buy anything more than basic transportation. I can see that argument being valid from him. But i dont think any argument about reliability has merit with such little driving.

OP
OP
andromeda

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
Considering that steve only drives 1800 miles per year (avg 5 miles per day) i guess it doesn't make sense for him to buy anything more than basic transportation. I can see that argument being valid from him. But i dont think any argument about reliability has merit with such little driving.
I don't drive a lot, but I do drive. I don't see how this has much to do with these issues. I feel that anyone is better off without any of the mentioned frills. And a lot cheaper.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Steve.. Look man I get it. You like the no frills car. You feel like it may have less problems. It costs less to buy. I have no problem with that. Glad you're happy. It's just that this has been your theme since the first day you joined. Don't you have anything else to post about?

Anyway, I think it's time for me to go polish my knob.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I don't drive a lot, but I do drive. I don't see how this has much to do with these issues. I feel that anyone is better off without any of the mentioned frills. And a lot cheaper.
Sorry if my post came off negatively. It wasn't my intention. I meant that since you only drive 1800 miles a year, i understand how features are not important to you. Since you only owned 9 cars in 55 years of driving and drive so few miles, it would be wrong of me to expect you to have the same outlook as me. I do drive a lot, so i see the value in technology and amenities. As i said before, I am glad you like your car.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
There's some merit about not wanting the Android head units though.

The software is already several years old by the time the cars first hit the lot.

Five years from now, will it really feel any different than owning an 8 year old cell phone? Honda will certainly never upgrade the software, so you're stuck with aftermarket if you want to replace it. Then you have to worry about this or that not working or fitting properly, etc.

That's about the only real knock I can see against the higher trims. Honda doesn't have a history of unreliable engines and these aren't their first turbo'd cars either.