No auxiliary jack!?

Heimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HR-V
Darn it, the HR-V we bought last year came with a good old auxiliary jack, which I put to good use installing a cradle for my nicely portable satellite radio head unit. I hope to replicate that setup in a new Civic (eyeing the LX hatch or the EX-T sedan), but now that Honda has done away with the auxiliary jack I fear I may be out of luck. Can a USB audio interface be compatible with my old satellite radio gear? Am I worried about nothing? I checked with the installer who worked on the HR-V, and he was optimistic they could do it, but wasn't sure.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Yeah, one of the main reasons I got a higher trim level was because it was the only decent way to get satellite radio. Although I've now added an aux jack anyway (for passengers) so I could've gotten by with a lower trim after all.

If you don't mind giving up the Bluetooth connection to your phone, you can get an aux-to-Bluetooth box that will let you listen to your satellite unit over BT.

Aux-to-USB isn't available as far as I know. Not enough demand for it.

OP
OP

Heimer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 HR-V
(double-post)
I'd rather not give up the phone's bluetooth, but I was not aware that it's readily feasible to install an auxiliary jack, thanks!

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I'd rather not give up the phone's bluetooth, but I was not aware that it's readily feasible to install an auxiliary jack, thanks!
Well, it's not easy, but it is doable :) Check the DSP link in my sig for an example

Last edited:

Rayven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan
What about an aux to fm transmitter? They are easy and inexpensive - $8 on ebay.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
That's a good idea. Satellite radio isn't the greatest quality anyway, so the loss going to FM probably wouldn't be too bad.

Still, it's too bad no one makes one that translates to HD radio instead of regular FM.

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX Manual
I'm dealing with the same issue.
Except it's an absolute pain to use bluetooth with my particular phone (the problem is my phone I think).

Starting the pairing fresh, it will pair up fine. However, when the car is off... if I turn on the car BEFORE turning on bluetooth on my phone, it won't connect correctly... although it will say connected, and I have access to my contact list, I won't get any audio. I have to remember to turn on my phone's bluetooth first and then start the car.

I bought a bluetooth transmitter... hoping that will work... won't connect correctly to car either, sigh.
Another annoying thing is all the aux to FM transmitters I've looked through... they're powered through the 12V, not USB... my 12V is already in use.

This wouldn't be a problem if they included an aux jack!

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Apple CarPlay or android auto. Give it a try.

RaiseTheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX Manual
How's the transmitter?
It works...
No battery, so it needs to be plugged in constantly.
Where I live and with my daily work commute, the clearest FM frequency changes mid way through, so that's annoying.

I'm definitely not 100% satisfied, but this is currently my solution. I will continue to try to explore other options like installing a new rom on my phone see if that fixes my bluetooth problem.

LX16CVT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic lx coupe
I know right? I wish mine had an aux jack too, my other cars did. I keep all my music on my iPod. Now I gotta get an extra thumb drive.
Sponsored