First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nothing but respect for Nissan who, despite being in shambles recently, releases a new sports car in 2020 with a manual. Don’t love the styling but it is clean and I appreciate it how it pays homage to Zs of the past without looking retro. Fingers crossed for Toyota responding with a manual Supra.
Yeah... the biggest fear I have about Z cars isn't the Z itself but Nissan itself. The company has been adrift with no one at the helm for awhile... kind of like a late 90s Nissan. Lancia took a big stake in them and they got rolling again... the 350Z came out... Altima/Maxima/Sentra were pretty good early 2000s. VQ motor got thrown in everything. I feel like they've been coasting on that momentum for over a decade and that they're having to pull from their so-so Infiniti line just to pull this off. The GTR has been top dog for a while and kept the Z down for a long time. This is the first Z I've seen that, to me, actually looks more 'halo car' like the 300zx was in it's time. Would love to see the inclusion of things like modern HICAS as well. If the 300zx could get it over 30 years ago and the GTR has some flavor of it now... why not this thing?
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Any price tag guesses? Over 45k or under? Lovin the old tail light look, I like the tear shape headlights and the daytime running lights look ?
Used to have a turbo/nonturbo engine option from the early '80s with the 280ZX until the 300ZX folded state-side in '96. Q50/60s have a 300 and 400 hp variant of the VR30DDTT. My guess is they'll do a little power differentiation with the NISMO with the NISMO being $50k or higher and a base... open diff... barebones 300Z (I refuse to call it a 400Z until it's for real. as that breaks 50 years of tradition) for $34,999-39,999. That is, of course a wild ass guess (WAG). A sport trim with a LSD and some goodies... I bet will be $40-45k. Again... WAGing.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Very sharp design I always like the Datsun/Nissan Z cars
at least it’s a Nissan sports car not a Toyota/ BMW sports car

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I like the retro throwback looks. The only thing I dislike about the design is how rectangular the grille is shaped. I really feel like it should've been rounded off instead of being so boxy.

The interior is top notch, and the fact it can be had with both a manual and traditional E-brake is a callback to the past. Hopefully Nissan actually plans to put this into production.

Side note: I still think 370zs are cool as hell despite being 10 years old at this point.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fun fact on the price front:

A 300zx ended its run in the US in ‘96 with a admittedly weak Yen at $45,579 for a twin turbo. If we get a twin turbo 300z again 25 years later for the same price... I’d say it’s reasonable.

Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z 3AA1AF6E-05AF-457C-8EEA-7B27C890B0D1

I think my ‘94 was around $40k new. Another reason why parts have the “300zx markup”. Adjusted for inflation... they cost what GTRs cost.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like the retro throwback looks. The only thing I dislike about the design is how rectangular the grille is shaped. I really feel like it should've been rounded off instead of being so boxy.

The interior is top notch, and the fact it can be had with both a manual and traditional E-brake is a callback to the past. Hopefully Nissan actually plans to put this into production.

Side note: I still think 370zs are cool as hell despite being 10 years old at this point.
This has 3 square grills and real and fake vents aswell

Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z E64F6BC7-D2EA-4D33-A1D6-B819A036BE46

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And a rant on naming schemes. I know we got the invite to the "400z.com"

A 240Z had a 2.4 liter L engine.
A 260Z had a 2.6 liter L engine
A 280Z had a 2.8 liter L engine
A 280ZX had a 2.8 liter L engine... a turbo option was available
A 300ZX (Z31) had SOHC VG 3.0 (VG30ET) engine with a turbo option available. Fun fact... it was Nissans first V6... and it soldiered on into the 2000s in the 1st gen Xterras.
A 300ZX (Z32) had a DOHC VG 3.0 (VG30DETT) engine. Twin turbos were available. This is the *only* car that had a rated 300 hp number matching the car name... though they dropped VVT the last year. Also... the autos supposedly were downrated to 280 hp.
350zs ranged from a 280-ish DE engine... a 300 hp rev up engine... or a 300+ (god I can't remember) HR engine... the output changed based on the SAE revision. The HP was never "350"... but it had a 3.5 liter VQ engine
The 370Z had a 3.7 liter VQ engine. 332 HP for regular... 350 hp for NISMO.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... A Z POWERED BY A 3.0 LITER ENGINE... TURBOS OR NOT... IS A 300Z.

If we get a 400 hp non-Nismo and a 450 hp Nismo on different variants of the VR30DDTT... are we going to call each a 400Z and a 450Z? Ridiculous.

Add the "X" at the end like they did for the 280ZX through 300ZX if you want to talk luxury and it be more of a grand tourer.

Secure from rant.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Stretch goal after its release: Now that the Z is finally getting more serious power... take the hopped up variant of the 2.5 they already have... make a 4 cylinder RWD competitor starting at $24,999 for to the likes of the MX5/BRZ/86... slap a “250SX” badge on it and sell them like hot cakes.
If only YOU were the shot caller!!! F'in FABULOUS IDEA!!!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If only YOU were the shot caller!!! F'in FABULOUS IDEA!!!
They brought the 350Z back in '03 for right at $25000 for it's initial MSRP. It's been awhile. Inflation... this Z's obviously going to cost more than the old 350Z based on tech alone. They should absolutely do a smaller stripped down, smaller engine car. Cut the FM platform down as much as you can and make a sexy, modern 240SX on it. The 240s made something like 155. If they can aim for 200... they'd be right there w/a 86 and a MX5. They do have a flavor of 2.5 that was supercharged... so they've dabbled in forced induction on that engine. If they can make a base car around $25k and a turbo variant make 300 hp in a 3000 lb-ish car for $30-35k... they'd be swinging for the fences.

The problem w/the GTR is it's almost too "halo" at this point and unattainable. Like the NSX on the Acura side. Most people will never spend 6 figures on a car. Having good brand language which Nissan has been hurting for lately and a range of products at different price points.

I don't know why the Altima and the Maxima both exist. I don't know why the Maxima isn't rebranded an Infiniti at this point either... though it's still rolling with that VQ motor. It has some convenience options that even the Q50 lacks. I don't think it holds a candle to an Avalon... if that's what's left for it to compete with. Hell... Infiniti didn't get on the ball with Car Play/Android auto until *this* model year. They've massaged the Altima and the Sentra a bit though the Altima isn't reviewing too favorably compared to some of the competition and not having a AWD drivetrain that'll take the variable compression 2.0T they have now is a big loss. Their CVTs need some TLC or they need to dump them for a geared unit people will like and will still give them as wide of ratios for their needs.

I love the Z... but I cannot understand WTF Nissan is doing most of the time. It's like they do well... get ahead... then sit back and let people not only catch up but lap them.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
Yeah... the biggest fear I have about Z cars isn't the Z itself but Nissan itself. The company has been adrift with no one at the helm for awhile... kind of like a late 90s Nissan. Lancia took a big stake in them and they got rolling again... the 350Z came out... Altima/Maxima/Sentra were pretty good early 2000s. VQ motor got thrown in everything. I feel like they've been coasting on that momentum for over a decade and that they're having to pull from their so-so Infiniti line just to pull this off. The GTR has been top dog for a while and kept the Z down for a long time. This is the first Z I've seen that, to me, actually looks more 'halo car' like the 300zx was in it's time. Would love to see the inclusion of things like modern HICAS as well. If the 300zx could get it over 30 years ago and the GTR has some flavor of it now... why not this thing?
I think Nissan is in a better space going forward. They restructured their alliance with Renault so that they can stop chasing volume, downsize and focus on making ambitious cars again. Ngl, I had to look up HICAS Lol, but I believe the modern equivalent would be some sort of electrification, perhaps e motors at the front axles. That would make a pretty cool Nismo.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
It has potential. I have owned a '71 240Z, '78 280Z and Nismo 350Z so I do like Z cars. I agree the front end needs some tweaking and the tail needs some type of wing. Car is not aggressive enough but I suspect it can be revised a little before production.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Nissan would be smart to embrace the drift culture which is basically a GLOBAL NISSAN MARKETING MACHINE in itself.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
but I cannot understand WTF Nissan is doing most of the time.
true it’s Definitely not like 1987 when they had this cheap but bullitt proof Sentra my brother In law bought one new in 1987 and the car had over 200k when he got rid of it in 1999 and had very little problems with it unfortunately when my sister bought a 2014 Sentra it had quite a few problems which made her trade it in for a Jeep ( which is probably as bad)

Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z E0530EBB-C8BF-47BB-BBB2-B7596845451B

This was not his car got pic off internet