First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks pretty OK to me. Had a pearl yellow ‘90 twin turbo nearly 20 years ago. It tugs at my heart strings. Needs a spoiler. Hope they talk powertrain details. We assume it’s a Q50/Q60s too 400 hp variant of the VR 3.0... but I’m wondering if there’s any (good) surprises.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My thoughts

Criticisms on the design:
The radiator slot seems a little overly rectangular... kind of reminds me of the 350z... sort of had that shape of the S30 but seemed a little too much by my eye. FMIC over radiator? (cringe)

There was almost a Viper look to the bottom and rear lines to the car that were artificial. You could see the rear wasn’t actually pinched the the bottom panel in the door was filled in by some black trim. I’m not sure if that’s going to hold up as well in person. I wish they had just gone for it.

I’m not 100% on the headlights.

In desperate need of a spoiler.

Hood cowl was mentioned but is slight... you could barely notice it. All the S30s had it as I recall... the S130... pretty sure my Z31s had it slightly. I loved how they brought it back on the ‘07-‘08 Z33 with the HR engine. I want more... or have a bigger cowl on a Nismo for trim differentiation.

Probably just a proto thing but yellow calipers on a yellow car just looks wonky to me.

I know the questions would be all prescreened and we all kind of know they’re using a VR30DDTT or whatever motor... but some discussion of the powertrain beyond “twin turbo V6” would have been nice. I mean... c’mon guys...

Based on the front end design, I guess no pair of SMICs? I always thought they looked great on a Z32... the 3rd turbo Z made but the only one that ever had stock intercoolers

Good:Manual

That interior... so much S30 there. The steering wheel. The dash looked better than the Q Infiniti’s I’ve glanced at. It might really be a knock out if the park.

Manual

They didn’t give me enough time to take in the ass end of the car, but I always thought 370zs looked *awful* from the rear with a “muffin top” look from the way the fender flares pinched down. It looked cured.

Manual

——————————————

I’m pretty hopeful. At 98% done it should be close and I like it enough to have one as it sits. It could go further my way or less... either way I still think it’d be solid.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I mean... to me... if you have one of these...
Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z E8E16D07-0614-4F02-86A1-066E67613F04

...without one of these...
Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z A3B2B9A4-A17A-4E69-A0B0-6DDB7C214BDC

...you ruined the car.

The fact Nissan kept a manual has already given the car a 50% grade to me. That’s still a failing grade without anything else. But it’s also halfway to a 100% without doing a damn thing else. The VR30DDTT engine has gotten good reviews on otherwise lukewarm reviews I’ve seen on the Q50/60. The car looks great. It was yellow like my pearl yellow 300zx twin turbo. I’ll be honest... I’m excited.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
To me - its like I was telling the guys over at the 370z forum - I LOVE the side looks - it's money - reminds me of the Jag. The front grill and the rear lights are 'meh' - and I couldn't AGREE MORE - I'm like 'where can we put a spoiler and is a spoiler being offered (which I'm sure it is)' . The fact that they are offering a twin turbo 6 along with a manual - that is already a WIN - it's putting to the enthusiasts that they are listening. Like a lot of the guys on the Z forum - just updating the current look and offering a manual and twin turbo setup - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

I can get used to the front grill I THINK - but I wish that bottom of the front bumper protruded out more like the 280z but if they keep the digital looking dash - and center console - there is A LOT of win there. I'm excited overall bc it's a NEW Z - but I kinda wish it was MORE aggressive. The rear like you mentioned has really been shown to see if we like it etc.

I am surprised they didn't mention specs - it's a little disappointing to be honest. I guess time will tell but just having another option out on the market is a WIN for car enthusiasts - even if you aren't a Nissan fan. :)

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To me - its like I was telling the guys over at the 370z forum - I LOVE the side looks - it's money - reminds me of the Jag. The front grill and the rear lights are 'meh' - and I couldn't AGREE MORE - I'm like 'where can we put a spoiler and is a spoiler being offered (which I'm sure it is)' . The fact that they are offering a twin turbo 6 along with a manual - that is already a WIN - it's putting to the enthusiasts that they are listening. Like a lot of the guys on the Z forum - just updating the current look and offering a manual and twin turbo setup - WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

I can get used to the front grill I THINK - but I wish that bottom of the front bumper protruded out more like the 280z but if they keep the digital looking dash - and center console - there is A LOT of win there. I'm excited overall bc it's a NEW Z - but I kinda wish it was MORE aggressive. The rear like you mentioned has really been shown to see if we like it etc.

I am surprised they didn't mention specs - it's a little disappointing to be honest. I guess time will tell but just having another option out on the market is a WIN for car enthusiasts - even if you aren't a Nissan fan. :)
Even if the Supra is a faster car... and I don’t doubt it could well be, if Nissan offers a 400 hp turbo car that’s sure to have some tuning headroom with a manual for just a little less money... they’ll hit a home run.

Stretch goal after its release: Now that the Z is finally getting more serious power... take the hopped up variant of the 2.5 they already have... make a 4 cylinder RWD competitor starting at $24,999 for to the likes of the MX5/BRZ/86... slap a “250SX” badge on it and sell them like hot cakes.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Wow they did a great job of emulating the look and feel of the original Z, which was a car I lusted after in the 70's.

Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z Eh_0kbQXYAIPPrl

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Even if the Supra is a faster car... and I don’t doubt it could well be, if Nissan offers a 400 hp turbo car that’s sure to have some tuning headroom with a manual for just a little less money... they’ll hit a home run.

Stretch goal after its release: Now that the Z is finally getting more serious power... take the hopped up variant of the 2.5 they already have... make a 4 cylinder RWD competitor starting at $24,999 for to the likes of the MX5/BRZ/86... slap a “250SX” badge on it and sell them like hot cakes.
More than anything, my takeaway is that this is truly a Z car at its core. The Supra, while a fun car, has almost zero Toyota DNA. During my short time in one, everything in it screamed BMW (which is great for some, but not my cup of tea).

I just hope that Nissan does some tuning on the exhaust note. The Q60 Red Sport suffers from the same issue as the Type R - the factory exhaust note is weak and pathetic.

FK7DEMON

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I love how it looks! It reminds me of the 300zx in the rear and 240z in the front.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Is this where I sign up for the group buy lol

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i like it. the front grille needs fixing but nothing that a fmic and a lip kit cant fix imo.

interior looks great to me. The climate control could have been done better and make it digital but i like everything else about it. the digital display looks super sick.

a manual transmission is a big plus.
and my god ..... A MANUAL HAND BRAKE! MT+manual hand brake ... SIGN ME UP.
Can't wait to see what the nismo version looks like.

this rendering looks sweet. I don't care for the GT wing but some kind of spoiler would make it look great.
Honda Civic 10th gen Nissan Z 13JyY2X

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yesterday when I saw it I was like meh, thought design was ok, now I'm looking at it and I'm like "wow that looks pretty good". I have no doubt that this design will grow on me everyday.

Twin turbo v6??? Manual??? MANUAL E BRAKE?? SHEEESH

Like @charleswrivers said, it desperately does need a wing. The rear is nice but it's too smooth and as exciting as it looks, it's also un-exciting. If they added a small little lip at the end I think it would really complete the look. I'm really excited to see moer of this car

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Love the specs we know so far at least. As far as appearances, this is still just the "proto"-type, right? I doubt (or at least hope) that rectangle maw will be changed before production. Definitely agree it needs some flair on top of the rear.

staylurkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Coupe, 14' Accord Coupe v6 (RIP)
Country flag
Nothing but respect for Nissan who, despite being in shambles recently, releases a new sports car in 2020 with a manual. Don’t love the styling but it is clean and I appreciate it how it pays homage to Zs of the past without looking retro. Fingers crossed for Toyota responding with a manual Supra.

Blood_TypeR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R SGP
Country flag
Any price tag guesses? Over 45k or under? Lovin the old tail light look, I like the tear shape headlights and the daytime running lights look ?
Sponsored