First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just got an email with a survey about the 11th Gen Type R, they're asking things like alcantara vs leather steering wheel preferences. Looks like they want community feedback before pushing through a design to show off.

EDIT: Despite some questions about shifter, acceleration, and seats, the questions centered on alcantara vs leather and $500 vs $350 for a price point for a Honda accessory wheel as a dealer add on. Also totally round vs flat bottom. Surprised they didn't ask about metal vs other materials for the shift knob or about seat bolstering.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Amazon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Cobalt SS
Country flag
Leather steering wheel hands down. Alcantara is nice, but not to upkeep, and with the amount of lotioning I have to do to my hands, that steering wheel is going to get crusty very quickly. Alcantara has its place, but unless its some sort of weekend toy that you only throw a few thousands miles on a year, leather is better.

I'd like alcantara on the door panels, dash, and center console though.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
No Alcantara on the steering wheel please, human residue like oil and such makes it go pear-shaped quickly... Leather is fine.
I agree with them asking questions about interface, because everything a driver touches has the most impact like seat, wheel, knob, even window buttons and AC control... That's where you'll find the most bang-for-buck when it comes to car impact...
And then for the rest of us, performance like G-meter ratings, skid-pad holding, 0-60mph, braking distances, body roll, are what others look into, less about trunk space and front clearance...

OP
OP
Shred

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I answered in favor of leather, for the same upkeep reasons. The way it was worded to specify they had already made the change for 20 and 21 MY Type Rs, they may have run into negative customer feedback or a design team argument or something to prompt them to reconsider for the 11th gen.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Odd.... I did not get the email... yet some other Type R owners down here did.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I didn't get the email either :p Not too worried though.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I got the email too. But I was confused. Don’t we already have a “D” shaped wheel that’s flat on the bottom? The survey says the current one is round?

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I got the email too. But I was confused. Don’t we already have a “D” shaped wheel that’s flat on the bottom? The survey says the current one is round?
I got the email too and this was my reaction to that question. I do think the picture they had in the survey had a slightly longer (more flat area) flat bottom than my 2019 stock steering wheel, but it still caught me off guard with the question.

I also found it funny how one question was something around "Would you be interested in an Alcantara steering wheel as a Honda accessory for about $500?" I answered "No" to that one and the next question was "What if we sold it for $350?" lol, almost like they knew the answer was going to be a no to the first one.

BostonCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
I took the survey also, I clicked on "extremely satisfied" when asked about the leather steering wheel. I also clicked on "not satisfied at all" when asked about acceleration, I'm hoping to get a bump in power next gen.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Honda really doesn't call our wheel a D. Most reviewers called it a somewhat D shaped, but never an actual D shape since the flat bottom isn't that large.

I got the email too and this was my reaction to that question. I do think the picture they had in the survey had a slightly longer (more flat area) flat bottom than my 2019 stock steering wheel, but it still caught me off guard with the question.

I also found it funny how one question was something around "Would you be interested in an Alcantara steering wheel as a Honda accessory for about $500?" I answered "No" to that one and the next question was "What if we sold it for $350?" lol, almost like they knew the answer was going to be a no to the first one.
If I read one of the screenshots of the survey correctly, it said that it included the controls on it already (and possibly the airbag). If the controls come with it, I'd easily do 350-400 for the wheel. If the controls don't come with it, then I could get a CF wheel for 500 and there are many 3rd party ones for 350. Hell, I could get a custom wrapped one for like 500 from SWEIDIT (buy core separately).

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the factory alacantara replacement wheel being so cheap I plan to just replace it once a year. There is no way to keep it nice with the car being a DD..

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
With the factory alacantara replacement wheel being so cheap I plan to just replace it once a year. There is no way to keep it nice with the car being a DD..
I always drive using glove for example. I have the leather wheel still.
Thing is, I hate leaving my secretions all over the car.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Realistically, that’s Alcantera in general. Try using Sonax like once a month or every two weeks or something. It will help upkeep it for longer.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Agreed. Was suprised to see the full replacement for only like $200. It's cheaper than getting it rewrapped from a good shop. Although I think changing it every year is excessive lol maybe like every 3-5 (or more) if you properly clean/coat it and make sure you have clean hands before grabbing it.

Would definitely have chosen leather on the steering wheel from the factory if given the option. But since it came with the alcantara, I'll deal with it. It's really nice now that it's new.

Thing is, I hate leaving my secretions all over the car.
I know what you meant but this made me laugh ?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Agreed. Was suprised to see the full replacement for only like $200. It's cheaper than getting it rewrapped from a good shop. Although I think changing it every year is excessive lol maybe like every 3-5 (or more) if you properly clean/coat it and make sure you have clean hands before grabbing it.

Would definitely have chosen leather on the steering wheel from the factory if given the option. But since it came with the alcantara, I'll deal with it. It's really nice now that it's new.

I know what you meant but this made me laugh ?
Leather one, if you can find it goes for like 150-200 depending on where you get it. I really don’t recommend Honda’s leather, mine tore apart pretty quickly with use.
Sponsored