Next-Gen Honda Civic Type R Gets 395 Horsepower From Electric Rear Axle: Report

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
*Next gen 86 is going to have a 2.4l turbo flat 4 pumping 250hp/200ftlbs, will be based on the TGNA platform, and will be even lighter.*

People eat this shit up.
I totaly agree! Remember the SI? It has the same HP as the 9th gen and people freak out!

Honda is a conservative company thus I don't think it will have more than 330hp (EU spec) at best, no AWD, and No electric motors.
Sponsored

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I totaly agree! Remember the SI? It has the same HP as the 9th gen and people freak out!

Honda is a conservative company thus I don't think it will have more than 330hp (EU spec) at best, no AWD, and No electric motors.
True, I agree. Honda likes to stick to the basics of what works. But then again people years ago may not have envisioned a Type R with a turbo or a whole fleet of Honda cars with a turbo.

I guess I’m hopeful of what potential this car can have. Tossing on awd with electric motors may not be the end product that Honda even may want the Type R to be as you were inferring. It may make the car heavier, negatively effect handling for the sake of more grip. Other hot hatches have AWD but the CTR is more nimble than many of those cars.

But, I do see potential for a hybrid. There was a company at SEMA I think called Orbitz or something of the sort and they had a wheel mounted electric motor. Was in its infancy as far as development but thought it was an innovative idea. A youtuber took an in-depth look at the way the rear suspension/chassis was set up and was saying that the rear knuckle had clearance behind it like enough for a driveshaft to mount to it. Also there was a spot on the rear cross member that had a flat spot where it looked possible to mount a rear differential. Thought it was interesting.

But yes, given that Honda already has production vehicles with rear electric motors driving the wheels that would be the easiest route IF they were going to do an awd Hybrid of sorts. If other companies opt for this “step up” of performance then Honda may throw their hat in the game or else they will be left behind.

But who knows. Talk happens all the time. Mitsubishi had a concept car like maybe 15-20 years ago that had a similar layout that was pushing a combined 400hp but it never made it to production.

The suspense is part of the fun. Grabbing the popcorn and will be excited to see what happens. :popcorn:

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
look how long it too us to get turbos? as @ElpacoSV stated, Honda is a super conservative. i dont think it would have much more than current gen CTR and will deff not have AWD

ElpacoSV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6 ; Civic FK7G4
Country flag
True, I agree. Honda likes to stick to the basics of what works. But then again people years ago may not have envisioned a Type R with a turbo or a whole fleet of Honda cars with a turbo.

I guess I’m hopeful of what potential this car can have. Tossing on awd with electric motors may not be the end product that Honda even may want the Type R to be as you were inferring. It may make the car heavier, negatively effect handling for the sake of more grip. Other hot hatches have AWD but the CTR is more nimble than many of those cars.

But, I do see potential for a hybrid. There was a company at SEMA I think called Orbitz or something of the sort and they had a wheel mounted electric motor. Was in its infancy as far as development but thought it was an innovative idea. A youtuber took an in-depth look at the way the rear suspension/chassis was set up and was saying that the rear knuckle had clearance behind it like enough for a driveshaft to mount to it. Also there was a spot on the rear cross member that had a flat spot where it looked possible to mount a rear differential. Thought it was interesting.

But yes, given that Honda already has production vehicles with rear electric motors driving the wheels that would be the easiest route IF they were going to do an awd Hybrid of sorts. If other companies opt for this “step up” of performance then Honda may throw their hat in the game or else they will be left behind.

But who knows. Talk happens all the time. Mitsubishi had a concept car like maybe 15-20 years ago that had a similar layout that was pushing a combined 400hp but it never made it to production.

The suspense is part of the fun. Grabbing the popcorn and will be excited to see what happens. :popcorn:
I know man and is fun to speculate! But I'm sticking with +10hp and no AWD. Type R is very special for Honda. It must be a halo car in the markets were is sold. I'm sure an electric version of the Type R will see the light of day but not within the next 10 years (2 generations).

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Here’s a couple links about the rear electric motors I mentioned. It’s by a company called Orbis. Freaky looking but inovative thinking.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Here’s a couple links about the rear electric motors I mentioned. It’s by a company called Orbis. Freaky looking but inovative thinking.

thats the first thing that came to mind when i saw the Honda article. i think the Orbis wheels were something like 15k, but that was a few years ago when they came out. maybe cheaper now? would be cool if you wanted AWD

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

That’s a really neat setup. I don’t think it’s in production yet; can’t find a way to purchase or any third-party installed video.

It’ll be awesome to install them on a used Type R when the prices fall to around 20-25k. Putting them on a newish CTR is like $53k after taxes. I’d rather have a Model 3 Performance for that kinda money.

FLRib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8 2021
Country flag
Why the 11th generation of the CTR need to be hybrid? The 520hp four-cylinder Link & Co 03 Cyan Concept FWD for the road lapped the Nurburgring Nordschleif in 7 min and 20.143 seconds. Lynk & Co 03 has broken the front-wheel drive Nurburgring lap record held by Renault RS Trophy R

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That car will never be available on the scale of the Type R. They will sell a few to "VIP customers" and probably offer a neutered version for the masses, if at all. Just like the Subaru Type RA isn't even close to the one they used to set a 4 door record on the Ring. It's also running a sequential DCT gearbox. That's going to give it a leg up on the Type R's standard 6 speed manual.

The theories about a hybrid CTR are for emissions standards in Europe. As they tighten, you need more hybrid power entering the lineup.

Last edited:

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree with Shred. Limited production vehicles are hard to compare to production vehicles.

The Lynk & Co is a cool car but it’s a concept car, not a production car. When I first heard about it I was really excited. Read the second then the last paragraph in this write up.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/29532...mashes-4-door-fwd-nurburgring-records-sort-of

Even the Renault Megane RS Trophy R that has the title is like a full race car with carbon fiber brake discs And also no rear seat. They only made 500 I believe so even finding one is super hard and on a Top Gear article they stated only 30 were made with carbon wheels and brakes. Plus they cost between $70,000-$90,000. Hard to compare the two cars but the Renault definitely is a great car.

It’s like I tell my friends, the CTR is not the fastest or best cars in the world. But for $36k, it’s an awesome drivers car that does many things well without punishing you in ride or comfort and can be used as a daily driver.

Shred made a good point that the hybrid cars are for emissions. We hear so much now about certain car companies by such a year will be all electric or what ever. Hybrid and electric cars are the future. Today I read about BMW’s possible new electric M5 with 1,000hp. Eventually I think the Type R will be a hybrid. Maybe not the 11th gen CTR, but eventually.
Sponsored