Newbie question about included tunes

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Brand New to tuning and KTuner. I see on the website that it lists a Stage 2 and Stage 2 Dual, but I only see a Stage 2 in my software. I do see a starter dual 21 psi, though. Would that be the same as the Stage 2 Dual? Also, at 21 psi, would that be like +5 or +6 from stock? I have the CVT and don't want to push it too hard.
Sponsored

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Brand New to tuning and KTuner. I see on the website that it lists a Stage 2 and Stage 2 Dual, but I only see a Stage 2 in my software. I do see a starter dual 21 psi, though. Would that be the same as the Stage 2 Dual? Also, at 21 psi, would that be like +5 or +6 from stock? I have the CVT and don't want to push it too hard.
Stage and Starter give the same levels, but Starters allow you to make changes. The Dual only comes in a starter map.

Since most owners didn't hit the factory targets on the stock tune it's not really truthful to say +5 or +6 from stock. All included tunes have been tested and publicly used for over a year. They're safe. If you don't want to use the highest level basemap choose a PSI target under that. The info on the web and in the tune description within the software tells you the level.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
One quick question about the stage maps versus the starter maps. Are they identical except for the fact you can tweak the starter maps or are the stage maps already tweaked a bit?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
One quick question about the stage maps versus the starter maps. Are they identical except for the fact you can tweak the starter maps or are the stage maps already tweaked a bit?
Stage are a bit tweaked. You can closely match and exceed the staged maps with the settings available in starter. Since these settings are meant to allow you to adjust drivability to your liking, adjust as you see fit!

OP
OP
cruisencode

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
So, I started with the Stage 0 and I can feel some improvement in driveability already. I'm still running 87 in it, so I haven't moved up to the Stage 1 or 2 yet. This is also my daily driver, so I'm not looking for anything too crazy. ;)

I did want to ask, though, if 91+ is necessary for the Stage 1 and 2, or just recommended. Around here we have 87/89/93, and 93 is like $0.60 more per gallon. I'm OK paying for it, but wanted to know what the difference would be with the three octanes.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
So, I started with the Stage 0 and I can feel some improvement in driveability already. I'm still running 87 in it, so I haven't moved up to the Stage 1 or 2 yet. This is also my daily driver, so I'm not looking for anything too crazy. ;)

I did want to ask, though, if 91+ is necessary for the Stage 1 and 2, or just recommended. Around here we have 87/89/93, and 93 is like $0.60 more per gallon. I'm OK paying for it, but wanted to know what the difference would be with the three octanes.
Glad you're liking the results so far.

While the ECU will try to compensate for the lower grade fuels by pulling timing and even reducing boost you should really use 91+ for the increased boost levels and power output offered in the higher stages.

OP
OP
cruisencode

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
OK, so I finally filled up with 93 and loaded the Stage 1 tune. WOW, what a difference. :thumbsup:

I do have a couple more questions. First, with these Stage tunes (non "dual"), what happens if I press the ECON button? Second, do these Stage tunes disable traction control or VSA? I ask because my wheels seem to spin quite easily now. I guess it may just be all the new power.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
OK, so I finally filled up with 93 and loaded the Stage 1 tune. WOW, what a difference. :thumbsup:

I do have a couple more questions. First, with these Stage tunes (non "dual"), what happens if I press the ECON button? Second, do these Stage tunes disable traction control or VSA? I ask because my wheels seem to spin quite easily now. I guess it may just be all the new power.
If it's not set up for dual targets, it will simply have the same targets off or on. You can adjust both sets of targets on any starter map within the software.

There are VSA disables in the disables section which should aid with that.

OP
OP
cruisencode

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
If it's not set up for dual targets, it will simply have the same targets off or on. You can adjust both sets of targets on any starter map within the software.

There are VSA disables in the disables section which should aid with that.
Thanks again. I finally had a chance to look at this, but I'm still a bit unsure. Are you saying that VSA and/or traction control are disabled in the stage tunes? The checkboxes in the disables section are a bit confusing. I see two that mention VSA and I'm not sure if checking them will disable VSA or disable the VSA disable (meaning it will enable VSA). :confused:

I hate to have to ask all these questions. I didn't really find any useful information in the online help for this. I had my wheels spinning again the other morning and VSA/traction didn't seem to kick in.

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Thanks again. I finally had a chance to look at this, but I'm still a bit unsure. Are you saying that VSA and/or traction control are disabled in the stage tunes? The checkboxes in the disables section are a bit confusing. I see two that mention VSA and I'm not sure if checking them will disable VSA or disable the VSA disable (meaning it will enable VSA). :confused:

I hate to have to ask all these questions. I didn't really find any useful information in the online help for this. I had my wheels spinning again the other morning and VSA/traction didn't seem to kick in.
We do not disable VSA for you. It says (Check to disable) at the top of the disables list. Traction control will kick in if it's on and you're spinning.

OP
OP
cruisencode

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Awesome, thanks again. Not sure why I couldn't wrap my head around that one. ;)

DniedAcess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic LX Sedan, 2003 Acura RSX

Wait...side topic but relevant...I have been pumping 92 when I could have been pumping 87 all this time? :/

DniedAcess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic LX Sedan, 2003 Acura RSX
Wait...side topic but relevant...I have been pumping 92 when I could have been pumping 87 all this time? :/
Noob question. If I get intake/intercooler/downpipe/exhaust...can I get away with just using Stage 2 or do I have to to a dyno and get "tuned"?

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Depending on the intake, you may want to get it custom tuned. Some throw off fueling pretty badly. All of those other mods have been tested with the tunes and are fine to use.
Sponsored