BDowning

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Hi, very new to tuning and just want to make sure my car is okay.

First off, car has about 25k miles on it, always run Shell 91 octane 93 not available here.

My k.con running 19.5/23 dual starter when driving normally is usually around .52-.56, if I WOT in sport mode a couple times it jumps as high as .63, drops pretty fast back down to .59 and sits around there for a while. As far as I know that's totally fine on 91 octane just want to make sure.

My k.count which I've read to pretty much ignore, I've driven for about 2 hours today split between 5 drives and had about 6 k.count which I also think is fine but want to make sure.

What else should I be watching on my ktuner? My display is
1. MAP 2. K. Con 3. K. Count
4. IAT 5. IAT2 6. K. Ret
7. STFT1 8. LTFT1 9. Gear(idk what else to put)

Would really like to know if my car seems okay before trying Phearable or TSP stage 1.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

BDowning

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
All those numbers are fine.

I just concentrate on IAT's, knock control, and short/long term fuel trims. Those are good basic items to monitor. Also it's a very good idea to do a datalog from time to time, especially if you make tune changes.

Don't forget to add your car to our community tuning survey:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ence-reliability-survey-for-all-models.42361/
That's great to hear. At what k.con value should I be worried I read about .85 if running 91?
And will definitely post in that thread, read so much on it before getting my ktuner, thanks for all you do

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You have to understand how K. Control works. It's actually a good thing, not a bad thing that it elevates from time to time. Let me explain.

On something like 91 octane (in normal driving) mid 5's is a decent number. With 93 the goal in normal driving is that magic .49 number. But when you push the engine by doing some WOT pulls or the IAT's go high or there are high loads etc.... knock control is designed to elevate. And yes, from a power standpoint this lowers timing which reduces power. But it's a good thing because it's protecting the engine from potential damage.

For example, you see a high number like .85 after some hard runs. As long as that number goes down after a time, you have no worries, everything is working as intended. On the other hand, if you're just cruising on the highway and you're getting a constant .85 reading on 91, I'd suspect it's a bad batch of gas. In some ways knock control is a measure of gas quality.

OP
OP

BDowning

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
You have to understand how K. Control works. It's actually a good thing, not a bad thing that it elevates from time to time. Let me explain.

On something like 91 octane (in normal driving) mid 5's is a decent number. With 93 the goal in normal driving is that magic .49 number. But when you push the engine by doing some WOT pulls or the IAT's go high or there are high loads etc.... knock control is designed to elevate. And yes, from a power standpoint this lowers timing which reduces power. But it's a good thing because it's protecting the engine from potential damage.

For example, you see a high number like .85 after some hard runs. As long as that number goes down after a time, you have no worries, everything is working as intended. On the other hand, if you're just cruising on the highway and you're getting a constant .85 reading on 91, I'd suspect it's a bad batch of gas. In some ways knock control is a measure of gas quality.
Okay that makes sense. Thank you so much
Sponsored