New vs Used

fk8ski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' CBP FK8
Country flag
The 1 dealership close to me has a 2021 cbp for 10k over msrp. Am I stupid if I end up paying 46k after taxes or would I be lucky to even get a deal like that? Are people still paying over msrp? I dont know the underground market for these.
Sponsored

Mr. X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R #45600
Country flag
The 1 dealership close to me has a 2021 cbp for 10k over msrp. Am I stupid if I end up paying 46k after taxes or would I be lucky to even get a deal like that? Are people still paying over msrp? I dont know the underground market for these.
Its your money do whatever you wanna do with it. If you want the car I say buy it. A lot of ppl have paid a little more over MSRP thats just how the market is for these cars. ?ā€ā™‚

Edit: also I personally would never buy this car used and IF I did the miles on it would have to be well under a thousand.

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
You are pretty much paying for the peace of mind of a new vehicle verses a used one with who knows what was done with it. Think of all the people on this board here who mod their Type Rs and you can get a good picture on what could have happened to it.

It is entirely possible the previous owner babied it or they could have pushed it beyond its capabilities. Itā€™s a gamble so itā€™s hit or miss but of course the dealer is supposed to check it before selling. If you canā€™t justify spending 10k over Msrp for new you can try the used market but be wary is all. For me I wouldn't spend 10k over Msrp for any car as thereā€™s always other options.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Like others, I would never pay $10k over MSRP for any car. The thing is - i believe most dealers are adding the $10k to get rid of the 'maybe in the market for the CTR'; if you are serious about it - you should go in and see if that can't be dropped down to $5k at least. The market for ANY car right now is crazy bc of the chip shortage.

If you are looking for rationalization to get the car - one would say the trade-in value of your vehicle is also inflated; so if you take what you are getting in excess bc of the current climate and subtract that from the ADM being added - it might be a wash. Personally - if you are serious - it would be best to reach out to the dealer and have a convo - but $10k over MSRP is just too much to me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's a horrible market for car buyers right now. Most used cars are up for more than you paid for them new. It's always been hard to find a dealer that will sell you an R for MSRP or close to it. Wouldn't pay more than a couple thousand over, and that would have to be accessories, for one.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
You can find much better deals up north - increase your search radius. New is generally better from used as you can get a better rate if you carry a note and you know the car is un modified. Good luck with your search but you should be able to find 2-4k over in your area esp with winter coming. Hit up the 10k over guy with a realistic 3k over and hard stop there see if he folds. He just might.

Good luck with your search!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
My neighbor buys new Stingrays, races the hell out of them, has them constantly worked on under warranty, then, when the time is right, he trades them in with low miles. Hell Miles but low.
I would hate to be the poor bastard that bought one of his trade-ins.
My point is, buy new and like the other guy said, you're paying for peace of mind.
Sports cars can be safely assumed to have been hooned and then traded.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Type R currently has issues and would def buy new one, who knows if the used R had been money shifted too many times lol. My car is currently collecting dust at the dealership for over a week now with 12 different codes. Good thing they got me a loaner with no return date for now

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
theres no reason to buy a used one if the prices are close to what it costs new (which is how it is in current market basically). if its significantly cheaper though, i wouldn't mind.

ive bought plenty of "used" sports cars in my life before and they were fine.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Type R currently has issues and would def buy new one, who knows if the used R had been money shifted too many times lol. My car is currently collecting dust at the dealership for over a week now with 12 different codes. Good thing they got me a loaner with no return date for now
This is a disingenuous post to suggest 'Type R's have issues' just because you are having an issue. By and large this car has proven to be quite dependable without a lot of major issues to report.

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
This is a disingenuous post to suggest 'Type R's have issues' just because you are having an issue. By and large this car has proven to be quite dependable without a lot of major issues to report.

Maybe you should scroll over to issues/warranty section and let me know if I'm the only one with problems

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 CW
Country flag
Maybe you should scroll over to issues/warranty section and let me know if I'm the only one with problems
Again that's not a fair judgement on the platform itself. The only thing of note is the A/C issue, which Honda has decide to stand behind on all of the 10th Gen civics. Everything else is subjective, like me saying i've never had any issues with my 2020...

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
to be fair there have been lots of the Type Rs built since its inception and I don't think all of the owners are in the forums with problems....other than 2nd gear grind at w.o.t. and the stupid radio CarPlay / Android auto issues.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been here for a few years now, and this is my second Type R - both problem free. There is not some 'known list of issues' with the Type R. Some - at best - have had a sketchy transmission but even those has invariably been due to not fully depressing the clutch in most instances, or a poorly adjusted CMC from the factory.

Disparaging a car just because YOU'RE having an issue does not mean everyone is.

Hope your issue gets resolved and sorry for the pain but getting all negative and throwing things around without merit in a forum about said car isn't going to get your car fixed faster.

If this car was a lemon - or had major continual or known issues - I certainly wouldn't be on my second one.

Gabbman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2017 Range Rover HSE
Country flag
I personally had to decide the same. The new one basically ended up costing me 2k more so it was a no brainer. Personally everytime I bought a used car I found something I didnā€™t like that made the savings buying used ā€œmentally worthlessā€. My last cpo car had a list of small annoyances that made me get rid of it. Nothing major just annoyances. So for me itā€™s new car almost everytime. It an issue with a type r because they donā€™t have different levels. But the used car never had the option I later realize I wanted. Lol.
Sponsored