New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars

diskreet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 BMW M2, 550 Spyder replica, 19 R6, 23 KLX300SM
Country flag
Hi everyone, looking forward to coming full circle back to a Civic. I haven't had one since I sold my 01 LX sedan in 2009 for an Audi TT. Feels a bit like a homecoming.

Looking forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully helping out.

TL;DR - I had a good run but kids make the car hobby difficult.

The new car
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars PSP2mnU

I traded in my 2016 Audi S6 for the Type R. It was extremely fast, especially with the APR Stage 1 tune, but just devoid of driving excitement. I'll certainly miss the quality and comfort, but not as much as I missed a lighter car with a manual.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars 5Nsj1Ts

When we were expecting our first kid (second on the way now) I traded in the sports car for the Audi. I needed a family car and the agreement was something bigger, and less than 600 horsepower. I wasn't driving the sports car nearly as much as I should for the cost, and it was too expensive to keep to only drive a couple times a month.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars HKZxmvb

Shortly after delivery I got off those awful wheels, and later on dipped the whole car a matte pearl purple. Loved it, even though my wife hated the color.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars jPkuYJO

Driving the Aston was always an occasion. With a manual transmission, and sport cats making it extremely loud, it was fun. If only insurance wasn't so limiting - no commuting allowed - and the real world actually encouraged driving cars like this more.

Before the Aston I had a wonderful Lotus Elise. Vision Function stage 2 supercharger was added so it put down 330 hp to the hubs, but it didn't feel as fast as the power-to-weight ratio suggests. Was very quick, though, and pure fun when you could tolerate how it beat you up. It was even better when I got to go out on group drives with the local community!
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars dS29ds5

Before the Lotus was the TT. APR stage 1 tune and turbo back AWE exhaust made it fun, and it had glorious seats, but I couldn't pass up a killer deal on the Lotus. Fun fact, AWE used this car to engineer the exhaust for it.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars RqHeEjJ

Bonus: If you like motorcycles, this is what I ride. Once I got this I realized I have hypercar speed and more driving involvement than any car I've experienced. Kinda made the expensive cars lose even more luster. I don't get to ride much with a kid and PA weather being terrible, but it's phenomenal when I do.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Type R owner - intro with some interesting past cars Nnm4bAi

Last edited:

Will Solo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR Type R #1124
Country flag
Welcome to the club! Cool list of cars, but you definitely made the right choice to get the Race Red Type R! Enjoy!

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I have to admire anyone willing to dip their Aston Martin!

Great collection! Obviously, way below your league, but your collection is making wish I’d kept hold of my Dad’s MGB GT...

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Nice cars and clean garage! I know what you mean with fast but boring I've owned a lot of different cars as well and the loud engaging ones are what I remember. 600whp CTSV is boring compared to a 300whp FD RX-7.

I don't think you'll get bored of the CTR

OP
OP
diskreet

diskreet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks everyone!

@Mature Banana I get why you'd think that but I don't agree - I clearly would much rather a fun car over a very fast or expensive one. If it's not obvious, I don't care much for exotics now that I've experienced the pain of owning a few. Mind you, the S6 was significantly more than anything else I've owned, so I'm not the guy who has true supercars in reach (yet, I hope.) @.grimace is right that power isn't everything. It's fun right until you're used to it and/or you're always holding back.

The Type R feels a lot like my Lotus did, without being so rough and uncomfortable. So excited to get some of that feel every day!

ChampwhiteFK8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW Type R
Country flag
Welcome to the club!

Out of curiosity, did insurance companies really limit the amount of time you could drive the AM? Also, what's a ball park figure you were paying for the insurance on that AM?

OP
OP
diskreet

diskreet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@ChampwhiteFK8 the specialty insurance I had did come with stipulations; no commuting, and no running regular errands. Kept it cheaper, and I didn't have many options since I was relatively young. It was just over $1900 per year, and I paid monthly. 28, no tickets/accidents in past 7+ years, and great credit, etc. All in all it wasn't terrible. It was an agreed value policy so it was worth more totaled, and of course was huge limits with OEM parts only.
Sponsored