New Toyobaru Reveal April 5th

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey ya'll there's gonna be a new Toyobaru unveil in a couple days, per the article below:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/03/toyota-gazoo-and-subaru-to-unveil-new-car-on-the-5th-of-april/

My speculation is it's going to be a re-imagined Celica hatchback and perhaps the next-gen WRX/STI platform.

Because of Gazoo's involvement, my hope is that it incorporates the AWD platform from the GR Yaris and the turbocharged FA24 2.4 power plant Subaru's been teasing us about.

Articles such as the ones below are where I'm pulling the Celica (name) and hot hatch (body style) speculations from:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35458840/subaru-and-toyota-awd-hot-hatch-rumor/
https://www.caradvice.com.au/917628/toyota-trademarks-celica-name-hinting-at-new-sports-car/

Granted this is all speculation and rumor. The one hiccup I see in all of this is I doubt Subaru would share it's mighty WRX/STI platform with another manufacturer, or perhaps even more doubtful substituting another manufacturer's AWD system into their platform.

However times are a changin and the current WRX/STI platform hasn't really changed much in the last 15 or even 20 years.

Either way, I can't wait to see what's unveiled on the 5th. What are ya'll's thoughts?
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I assumed it would be the first look at Toyota's version of the 86/BRZ/FRS

OP
OP
inertiadrifto86

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah that is a definite possibility. However as Subaru has already unveiled their new BRZ, reports of Toyota holding off the 86 reveal until later in the year to differentiate the 86 from the BRZ, and finally because the 5th will be a joint reveal from both Toyota and Subaru, I'm thinking this is a brand new car.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Interested to see what they're cooking up. From what I can tell the BRZ/FRS was a popular product. Hoping for more good things targeting a different segment in the market.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be honest I dig the new styling.. Sucks that it's n/a though I thought that they would be throwing a small turbo in here

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I think it looks pretty cool. Speaks volume about how good our motors are though. 232hp at the crank with a 2.4L flat 4 vs 248 at the wheels with a turbo 1.5 reflash.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
I'm excited to see a new rocket bunny kit on these LOL

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If all else is equal, I think I'd personally prefer having a Subaru badge than Toyota's on mine.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I don't like the subi vibe ... ie ... We have a special wave we give each other. Gag blurp gac. Glad I can hide the boxer engine behind a Toyota badge and diva muffler delete. I believe I am in. I will certainly test drive. Light weight 2800 lbs .... Rear wheel drive. Linear NA engine up to 7400 red line. The problem with the civic is the chrunchy shifter and non linear power band. It's time to move on. If it had an 8000 redline I would really move forward fast. I may want to hold off until production year 2.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I like the looks of the GR 86 a lot. It’s definitely my preferred of the twins. But that interior still looks very dated. That stated, if the 400z really does come in at ~$35k to start, I would never be able to justify buying an 86/BRZ.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really like the red one. They've basically fixed most (all?) of the gripes from the last gen and kept the weight at about the same. More power/torque, removed the notorious torque dip, and improved handling (hopefully). Hope it starts at $29k for the base trim.

I'm sure Shiv will release a flash tune on the OpenFlash Tablet (OFT) when he gets a hold of this car. The current gen gets up to 20hp with a simple flash.

NA + Lightweight + RWD + Stickshift is a dying art and this is probably the last hurrah. Sad but true.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If it was turbo and around 300hp at just under $30k I'd be more interested.
Sponsored