First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Si Coupe, 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm moving to the Baltimore Area from Los Angeles this June and could definitely use some friends (after the quarantine) and some insight!

I drive a '17 Si Coupe in sunny SoCal and although I've driven it in snowy conditions the roads have generally been plowed. LSD + low clearance = no snow chains. What do you guys do to cope with driving in the winter (anything from Oil Weights to Tires)? Stock all-seasons enough or do you have a separate set of wheels with winters slapped on?

As a bonus, food and beer recommendations are always welcome! Thanks in advance CivicX Fam!

Honda Civic 10th gen New To MD & Looking For Wisdom California Dreaming (Front)
Sponsored

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I have a set of winter wheels with A/S Michelin PS3's on them. They did fine this past winter but I think it only snowed in Baltimore one time.

I run summer tires this time of year so I chose to invest in two sets of wheels. If you want to run nice all-seasons year round then you will be fine in the winter

I got my winter wheels from a company in your neck of the woods, Kansei

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I am just a tad south in the DC area. I ran dedicated winters on my last car, but am going to give the eagle sports a shot with my Si. I think a lot of it comes down to your work situation. If you absolutely have to get to work no matter the weather, dedicated winters may be worth it for the handful of significant snow events per year. If you have some flexibility and can wait until roads are plowed, dedicated winters may go underutilized, and then they are less ideal than all seasons on cold/wet pavement (without snow/ice).

Full disclosure I haven't tested the Eagles in the snow yet (no snow to speak of in the region this past year--other years have definitely been heavier, though), but I fall in to the latter work category and plan to try out the eagles as my winter setup.

These two resources may be helpful as you make your decision:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=173

Good luck with the move!

Last edited:

supaaacharge98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
Hey good luck with the move! I am nearby DC, and if you need a friend into cars after the quarantine shoot me a message. If you are lucky and your job lets you work remote when the weather gets bad here it really does depend as the above poster said. Buy a decent set of winter tires if they will force you into work despite the weather. DMV winters can be pretty up and down.

OP
OP
rwnl2012

rwnl2012

HDMI Butt
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am just a tad south in the DC area. I ran dedicated winters on my last car, but am going to give the eagle sports a shot with my Si. I think a lot of it comes down to your work situation. If you absolutely have to get to work no matter the weather, dedicated winters may be worth it for the handful of significant snow events per year. If you have some flexibility and can wait until roads are plowed, dedicated winters may go underutilized, and then they are less ideal than all seasons on cold/wet pavement (without snow/ice).

Full disclosure I haven't tested the Eagles in the snow yet (no snow to speak of in the region this past year--other years have definitely been heavier, though), but I fall in to the latter work category and plan to try out the eagles as my winter setup.

These two resources may be helpful as you make your decision:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=173

Good luck with the move!
That's a good point. I probably can be flexible with my time and winter tries would be underutilized. I'm actually a pretty big fan of the stock A/S Eagle sports. They're grippy enough for canyon carving here but they still held up will on plowed roads in a Flagstaff Winter Storm.

OP
OP
rwnl2012

rwnl2012

HDMI Butt
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey good luck with the move! I am nearby DC, and if you need a friend into cars after the quarantine shoot me a message. If you are lucky and your job lets you work remote when the weather gets bad here it really does depend as the above poster said. Buy a decent set of winter tires if they will force you into work despite the weather. DMV winters can be pretty up and down.
Thanks, Brother! I definitely will need some friends after this fiasco! I think I'll opt for a good set of A/S since I'll have the privilege of working from home when I need to.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Thanks, Brother! I definitely will need some friends after this fiasco! I think I'll opt for a good set of A/S since I'll have the privilege of working from home when I need to.
Work from home - that is the best.

Depending on where you are in md - the roads can be ok or really bad. We have a lot of "bridges" that dont even look like a bridge as you travel on various roads like 496/695 etc. Those bridges will freeze up before the roads do. Then you have people either doing 20MPH or 80 MPH in a snow storm. There is not in between. Honesty- i stay off the roads as much as possible. Conditions can go from dry pavement to this slushy snow that is really poor for traction.

Last year, we hardly had any snow and an overall warm winter that barely killed off the bugs. I think it was because i was prepared with a snow blower and generator ;)

Some years the snow is bad. I have actually not driven my Si in snow, and honestly dont want to. They brine the roads here to pretreat them and that brine does a number on the undercarriage of cars.

I have a honda ridgeline that was my previous DD before the SI. if needed, i will take the ridgeline out in bad weather. Otherwise, like you - i can telework generally when the weather is bad and thankfully i am teleworking now during the COVID business.

If the SI is your only car - i would suggest getting a second set of rims with winter tires and get something that will have more rubber to it. The potholes in the area will eat your car alive.

I am planning on getting a winter tire package from tirerack on the si just to help counteract any issues with potholes and stuff even if the weather is not exactly frightful this winter.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/winter_snow/packages.html

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depending on how much of a rural area you live in, you may not need dedicated snow tires. I run a set of decent all seasons DWS06 most of the time and then have a dedicated summer track tire set. I live in a decent suburban area near the Rockville area though.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
A new, better set of All-seasons should be the answer. The Eagle sports will get you killed in the snow/slush, but dedicated winter tires are overkill for MD.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a set of snow tires and ditched them...just got some all season wheel tire set...it doesn't snow enough here

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I live in Wisconsin I have the stock Eagle Sports on. The lack of grip that come from these "all season" tires blew me away. It's do able, but it was a bit rough.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in Wisconsin I have the stock Eagle Sports on. The lack of grip that come from these "all season" tires blew me away. It's do able, but it was a bit rough.
yeah, it gets scary at high speeds...and when you stop, you feel the car move around more than it usually would on stiff summer tires

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Those new DW Plus are supposedly better than the Michelins....for All seasons.
Sponsored