Chr0meSplAt

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
First a little run down -> 2019 Type R, 18k miles, stock suspension, Koenig Ampliforms 18x9.5 +35

So just a few days ago, I replaced my Michelin PS4S 255/40, with a new set of Falken r615k+ 265/35. I had them mounted and balanced, with no issues on fender clearance. On my first drive around town, I experienced this humming/whirling noise at 45mph, continuing through 60mph. The noise does not occur at any other speeds, and seems to only happen on certain types of pavement.

I went back to my tire shop today and had them remount/balance again, but the noise is still persisting. Im fairly positive that it’s not a wheel bearing (no noise from my previous tires+ the noise only occurs when driving straight+ wheel bearing shouldn’t go bad at 18k.)

I know this may be a simple fix, and I’m probably missing something, but has anyone experienced this before? Do the tires have to broken in? Any insight would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5BW
Country flag

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
This ^^^

More than likely a tread characteristic.

If the balance was good you could also check the alignment and see if that helps.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
It’s normal. I have the same tires. Seems to have gotten quieter with miles on them though.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Having the same issue with my RT615K+. 265/35 on 18x9.5 +38. Loudest from 40-50mph. I can hear the noise while turning. A lot quieter at 70+ but maybe the general drive noise is covering it up. Feel little to no vibration.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Happy to report that @BoostedDreams was right, the noise has subsided. Guess the tread had to break-in or like mold release agents needed to shed. Was regretting purchasing these tires for a bit but am pretty happy now, especially with how affordable these tires are and how they can take track abuse. Will see how they handle a GA winter. Hoping they don't flat spot or at least if they do, will go back to round after a few miles. Car is parked in my garage.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Happy to report that @BoostedDreams was right, the noise has subsided. Guess the tread had to break-in or like mold release agents needed to shed. Was regretting purchasing these tires for a bit but am pretty happy now, especially with how affordable these tires are and how they can take track abuse. Will see how they handle a GA winter. Hoping they don't flat spot or at least if they do, will go back to round after a few miles. Car is parked in my garage.
Only down side I’m having now is they are a magnet for picking up screws and nails! I had 3 holes in 6 months!

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Only down side I’m having now is they are a magnet for picking up screws and nails! I had 3 holes in 6 months!
Wow that's wild. Haven't had that issue so far but now I'm extra glad I got the insurance through Discount Tire. Guess that's the price for sticky tires.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Perhaps its better to have a dd set of wheels with a/s tires and a set of summer/track wheels with sticky rubber not driven daily. Next spring im getting some fancy summer only wheels with sticky rubber.
my 2 pennies.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m​
Perhaps its better to have a dd set of wheels with a/s tires and a set of summer/track wheels with sticky rubber not driven daily. Next spring im getting some fancy summer only wheels with sticky rubber.
my 2 pennies.
I’m in Florida so it’s summer every day lol.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag