New Strut Needed at Less than 30k miles? + Warranty Questions

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Well, after months of hearing a light clunk from the driver's side front suspension, I had it inspected while I had my oil change at the dealer (the horror). After two test drives, the techs suspected that the strut is the issue (I hoped it would have been the strut mount). The total cost would be $630+. An service advisor gave me more bad news, stating that I was out of the factory warranty. Though when I bought the car, I was under the impression that it was CPO. Apparently, it's not and the basic VSC that the dealer swayed me to buy is the only "warranty" I have. What should I do? Seek a second opinion? Contact Honda? And I can post the dash cam footage of the techs driving the car.

And here's how the dealer prepped the car when I bought it:
Honda Civic 10th gen New Strut Needed at Less than 30k miles? + Warranty Questions 20211203_192602

Edit: I should have mentioned that the dealer who serviced the car is not the same dealer I bought the car from.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Well, after months of hearing a light clunk from the driver's side front suspension, I had it inspected while I had my oil change at the dealer (the horror). After two test drives, the techs suspected that the strut is the issue (I hoped it would have been the strut mount). The total cost would be $630+. An service advisor gave me more bad news, stating that I was out of the factory warranty. Though when I bought the car, I was under the impression that it was CPO. Apparently, it's not and the basic VSC that the dealer swayed me to buy is the only "warranty" I have. What should I do? Seek a second opinion? Contact Honda? And I can post the dash cam footage of the techs driving the car.

And here's how the dealer prepped the car:
20211203_192602.jpg
$630 for a strut? You’re better off just buying it yourself and having a mecha swap it.

OP
OP
19CivicSportNH

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
$630 for a strut? You’re better off just buying it yourself and having a mecha swap it.
I meant 630 all in, including labor. My bad.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, I still think that’s way too much. You can get a new front pair of KYB struts for $169 on procivic.com. I don’t install would be too much and then just an alignment.

What I’m trying to say is you should shop around.

OP
OP
19CivicSportNH

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
Yeah, I still think that’s way too much. You can get a new front pair of KYB struts for $169 on procivic.com. I don’t install would be too much and then just an alignment.

What I’m trying to say is you should shop around.
I'll try and see what happens. Though I'm still pissed at the selling dealer. Looking back, apparently I could have "paid" to have it CPO. Whatever that means.

Last edited:

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, that’s some Bs! I would contact Honda corp and see if you can file a corporate complaint. Just get all the details of when you purchased the car.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
This is a wear and tear item and you’re not going to get it warrantied. Sorry to say. Brakes either. Unless there was a part malfunction or defect which is tough to prove. You’re just better off getting oem aftermarket such as kyb or blistein and having a regular shop do it.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Warranty question; read Honda warranty paper, don't truss anyone, worst the dealer

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Previous owner probably hit something or railed speedbumps every day at work or home.

OP
OP
19CivicSportNH

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
This is a wear and tear item and you’re not going to get it warrantied. Sorry to say. Brakes either. Unless there was a part malfunction or defect which is tough to prove. You’re just better off getting oem aftermarket such as kyb or blistein and having a regular shop do it.
Previous owner probably hit something or railed speedbumps every day at work or home.
Yeah, this might be the case. I don't know how the previous owner treated the car for the first 20k miles. I expected the strut to last longer. Though it's not the first time a something wore out sooner than expected. My Escape had its driver's side rear wheel bearing replaced at 56k miles.

Here's the video of the second test drive with the two techs. It's an interesting conversation. Yet another person complains of the NA 2.0...

OP
OP
19CivicSportNH

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
After some digging, I found the window stickers given to me when I bought the car at the end of November.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Strut Needed at Less than 30k miles? + Warranty Questions Point Blur_Aug282022_193747

Honda Civic 10th gen New Strut Needed at Less than 30k miles? + Warranty Questions Point Blur_Aug282022_193718

Though I noticed it says "implied warranties only," the confusing language below says that the manufacturer's original warranty still applies "on some components." Even if the strut is a wear item and I prove unsuccessful claiming it under warranty, the selling dealer was sneaky advertising the car as CPO.
I bought the car in a different state, to boot.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
After some digging, I found the window stickers given to me when I bought the car at the end of November.
Point Blur_Aug282022_193747.jpg

Point Blur_Aug282022_193718.jpg

Though I noticed it says "implied warranties only," the confusing language below says that the manufacturer's original warranty still applies "on some components." Even if the strut is a wear item and I prove unsuccessful claiming it under warranty, the selling dealer was sneaky advertising the car as CPO.
I bought the car in a different state, to boot.
It's not confusing. Look in the Honda care warranty book given when you bought the car or look at the book online. Shocks are wear items and not covered. It's not up the selling dealer to go over the 10,000 individual components on the car and explain what is covered.

OP
OP
19CivicSportNH

19CivicSportNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sport
It's not confusing. Look in the Honda care warranty book given when you bought the car or look at the book online. Shocks are wear items and not covered. It's not up the selling dealer to go over the 10,000 individual components on the car and explain what is covered.
This I understand. I just find it odd that the strut would wear out before 30k. Though what is slightly infuriating is that the dealer advertised the car as CPO, and not having a warranty. It hasn't been a year since I bought the car, too. Though I accept that I'm a bit thick.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
This I understand. I just find it odd that the strut would wear out before 30k. Though what is slightly infuriating is that the dealer advertised the car as CPO, and not having a warranty. It hasn't been a year since I bought the car, too. Though I accept that I'm a bit thick.
It's not the norm but not unheard of at all. All it takes is one pothole and the seals start to seep and the strut starts to fail. During a preowned inspection they won't be able to see it unless it's obviously leaking so it's not anything the dealer would be responsible for.

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 civic hatch ST,
Country flag
I have a 2018 hatch and just took it for an oil change and look at my suspension for a clunking noise. Same story, they're telling me I need a new strut for my passenger side, preferably a pair. Barely over 32K.
Sponsored