New Si Videos: Driving, Sound, Interior, Track

Tonezorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Series.Yellow BRZ, 2014 Legacy, 2015 Crosstrek. Previous: 2011 Miata GT PRHT 2009 Forester XT, 2007 Cobalt
The proving grounds, based on my last few days at work, were a nasty windy place, with a pretty high elevation. Definitely not ideal. (So apply that knowledge to just about any video from that track)

GSquared

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R (SGP), 2017 Civic Type-R (PMM - SOLD), 2015 Civic Si (Sold), 2013 Si Turbo (Sold)
Country flag
I think he got embarrassed. There are other 0 - 60 videos out there already. They were going hard on him in the comments lol
Can't seem to find any, can you please link?

96A80

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '99 Civic Si EBP, '07 S2000, '12 Silverado Z71. Past: '96 Supra Turbo (sold), '08 Mugen Si (sold), '04 S2000 (sold)
Can't seem to find any, can you please link?
I have the video, I can send it on Instagram if you have one. 96A80 is my IG username, feel free to just message me and I can send it!

drakenc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Matrix XRS
7.2 seconds eh? That's pretty good considering the circumstances involved. Perhaps it may be quicker than I expected, though I'm more interested in 1/4 mile times and trap speed over 0-60 times.

Seeing all these videos kind of makes me wonder if most of them had even bothered to break in their motors yet. I'd be concerned about causing blowby before the piston rings get a chance to properly wear in the sleeves.

Just a friendly reminder for a all new Si owners out there, please read your manuals or consult your techs over proper break in procedures before hammering on your rides. This will help achieve best possible performance and maximum longevity as your internal components wear in.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
7.2 seconds eh? That's pretty good considering the circumstances involved. Perhaps it may be quicker than I expected, though I'm more interested in 1/4 mile times and trap speed over 0-60 times.

Seeing all these videos kind of makes me wonder if most of them had even bothered to break in their motors yet.

Just a friendly reminder for a all new Si owners out there, please read your manuals or consult your techs over proper break in procedures before hammering on your rides. This will help achieve best possible performance and maximum longevity as your internal components wear in.
The one HPJ (and probably every other driver) bounced the rev limiter on had 289.8 miles on the clock in the video. Those vehicles never make it into the hands of the public, though. They get dissected and analyzed, crushed, or crash tested.

Like most other vehicles, the Civic recommends no "sudden" or "full-throttle" acceleration for 600 miles or hard braking for 200 miles. Hopefully, there's an exception for HR-V owners who live off a busy highway. ;)

SkyeHack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The one HPJ (and probably every other driver) bounced the rev limiter on had 289.8 miles on the clock in the video. Those vehicles never make it into the hands of the public, though. They get dissected and analyzed, crushed, or crash tested.

Like most other vehicles, the Civic recommends no "sudden" or "full-throttle" acceleration for 600 miles or hard braking for 200 miles. Hopefully, there's an exception for HR-V owners who live off a busy highway. ;)
I remember when I got my 2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe, I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on it. This was my first Honda and I never experienced VTEC so as soon as I merged onto the highway I redlined it all the way to the top of 3rd gear and fell in love. Did I break it in properly? It's debatable. Nonetheless, I had zero problems with the car in the 60,000 miles that I had it before I sold it. Although, I was replacing everything with aftermarket parts in the time that I had it. Will I redline my 10thgen when I get it? Probably. Should you guys? You decide.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I remember when I got my 2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe, I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on it. This was my first Honda and I never experienced VTEC so as soon as I merged onto the highway I redlined it all the way to the top of 3rd gear and fell in love. Did I break it in properly? It's debatable. Nonetheless, I had zero problems with the car in the 60,000 miles that I had it before I sold it. Although, I was replacing everything with aftermarket parts in the time that I had it. Will I redline my 10thgen when I get it? Probably. Should you guys? You decide.
I'm also reading that modern cars are broken in before being transported to dealers

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
The 9th gen pulls low to mid 6s. This has to be driver error all the way. How could honda make this Si slower than the 9th gen and Ex? Doesn't make sense

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm also reading that modern cars are broken in before being transported to dealers
Engines are built with much more precision now than they used to be. Tolerances are tighter which improves performance, durability, and efficiency. Engines don't wear nearly as much during their initial hours of operation as they used to. In short, they're "more broken in" right off the assembly line than they used to be.

However, they only have minutes of operation on them and should not be abused right out of the factory. The 600-mile guideline has been around for a long time. Nothing magical happens precisely at that mileage. In fact, mileage isn't what's important - it's the run time of the engine that's important. At an average speed of 30 MPH, 600 miles is sufficient for 20 hours of engine operation. At an average speed of 15 MPH, that's 40 hours. 60 MPH, that's 10 hours.

The engine needs to accumulate approximately 24 hours of operation under varying speeds and loads for a proper break-in (but NOT full load and NOT sustained high RPM). However, most of the initial wear occurs during the first minutes and hours of operation with less occurring over time until the point where wear slows dramatically.

The effects of an improper break-in usually become apparent sooner rather than later in the form of increased oil consumption. Things like pistons, the crankshaft, and rods don't get any stronger over time - they're as strong as they'll ever be when brand new. So, if the engine remains intact, doesn't make abnormal noises, doesn't smoke, and doesn't burn oil following some premature abuse, chances are you'll never know the difference.

With that said, you should still follow the proper break-in procedures when possible even if it's less important now than it was 30 years ago.

The Acura NSX is one exception:

"Each NSX engine is machine balanced, bench tested and broken-in to the equivalent of 150 miles of service to ensure that every NSX engine is track-ready upon customer delivery." - http://www.acura.com/news-and-press/press-release-detail?article=9031-en&year=2016

AP2SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Daily). 2006 NFR S2000 (Weekend Racer). 1992 Integra (SOLD). 2005 RSX Type-S (SOLD). 2002 Civic (SOLD)
We are getting ours from out of state so we plan on driving them around the city as much as possible the day we get them, before we drive them back at highway speeds for 5 hours the following day.

skycrapper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Si
Ah the old school vtev

Only hope this car brings the same joy

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm very suspicious of those "exhaust sounds" due to:

1) A couple of automatic/DCT-type shifts
2) Sounds that don't match acceleration
3) Lack of Doppler effect
4) Overlapping engine sounds
5) Broken continuity
6) Sounds change when nothing else does
7) Lack of microphone wind buffeting sound
Hmmm - must be the 4-wheel drive version with CVT that they are testing.
:p
Sponsored