New si making ticking sound

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I thought all four cylinder Hondas sounded clicky LOL I feel like almost all of mine have over the years
Sponsored

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
Not all civics are DI. Historically, not all Si's have been DI either. For instance, the 2015 Si (2.4L VTEC) was port injected. Most non-turbo, non-Si Civics are port injected as well, if I'm consuming my research correctly. DI was mostly for the performance line.
I was referring to other 10th gens

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The DI shuts off when the RPMs are in decline. You can test this by driving close to the wall of a building.

1. Roll down your window and have the building close to your driver's side.
2. Start accelerating.
3. Shift to 2nd gear and let off the gas. (you'll hear the clicks stop)
4. You'll reach a low enough rpm that the injectors begin to fire again. This happens as the engine needs to keep turning, and the rolling momentum can longer sustain the resistance of the engine turning.

Important note: You use 0 fuel when engine braking. It's just how it works folks.
Yup, exactly what I was hearing, and how I was hearing it. Good science-ing. Didn't quite line up with RPM for me but I bet that's because the ECU is faster than I am.

type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
So I just got my new 2018 Si today, and I notice that i hear that ticking when its stopped, which i know is normal, but when I am going through gears 1-3 it sounds almost like a diesel or something, its like another sort of deeper clicking when accelerating in gears 1 through 3......is that normal?

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
So I just got my new 2018 Si today, and I notice that i hear that ticking when its stopped, which i know is normal, but when I am going through gears 1-3 it sounds almost like a diesel or something, its like another sort of deeper clicking when accelerating in gears 1 through 3......is that normal?
read #4 from Doc's post.. "4. You'll reach a low enough rpm that the injectors begin to fire again. This happens as the engine needs to keep turning, and the rolling momentum can longer sustain the resistance of the engine turning."

is this what's happening to you?

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One think I can't understand: how can you hear the engine / ticking at idle? In mine, there is no audible indication in regard to whether it is on or off at idle.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Even before DI, Hondas ticked.

- The rockers ride right on the valve stem with some clearance between them
- Port injectors clicked too (not as loud as DI)
- VTEC motors have lost motion assemblies that let the VTEC rocker float

Typewriter clicking is normal in a Honda.

Clacks and knocks aren't normal though so those would need a trip to the dealer/shop.

type_r_wannabe

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
read #4 from Doc's post.. "4. You'll reach a low enough rpm that the injectors begin to fire again. This happens as the engine needs to keep turning, and the rolling momentum can longer sustain the resistance of the engine turning."

is this what's happening to you?
Sort of? I'm not sure how to explain it. i just sounds like a deeper, sort of studdering building sound from gears 1-3. it may very well be normal and I'm just not used to it. It sounds like it could be normal.

Nighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The DI shuts off when the RPMs are in decline. You can test this by driving close to the wall of a building.

1. Roll down your window and have the building close to your driver's side.
2. Start accelerating.
3. Shift to 2nd gear and let off the gas. (you'll hear the clicks stop)
4. You'll reach a low enough rpm that the injectors begin to fire again. This happens as the engine needs to keep turning, and the rolling momentum can longer sustain the resistance of the engine turning.

Important note: You use 0 fuel when engine braking. It's just how it works folks.
Can you explain how it uses 0 fuel when engine braking? Just curious how it works.
Thanks

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Can you explain how it uses 0 fuel when engine braking? Just curious how it works.
Thanks
The injectors never open. The click you hear is the injectors pulsing, and if you don't hear any clicks then the injectors are not opening. Not opening = 0 fuel being dispensed into the cylinders.

The vehicle knows that you don't have any throttle input, ie tps is at 0%. The RPMs are not at idle as you're moving and in gear. The engine will continue to rotate as the vehicle's momentum is forcing it to rotate through the drivetrain. The DI system "shuts off" and the engine essentially becomes an air pump. Drawing air in, compressing it, then pushing the air out w/o any combustion.

Last edited:

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
One think I can't understand: how can you hear the engine / ticking at idle? In mine, there is no audible indication in regard to whether it is on or off at idle.
i'm not sure if this is only isolated to Si's.. i don't hear it on other models.. although i did see a hatch sport the other day that made ticking sounds.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the outside all of them have the DI ticking but on the inside both mine and the one I testdrove, a Sedan with CVT were dead silent at idle. Maybe the SI’s DI is a bit more..loud?

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drawing air in, compressing it, then pushing the air out w/o any combustion.
Which, apart from the obvious fuel economy benefits, it is also beneficial for the engine as it helps removing heat and carbon build-up.

Also, in addition, the injection shut-of happens everytime you lift your foot of the gas pedal and the rpm is above a certain threshold which varies from engine to engine (my previous Toyota had it at ~1500 rpm).
Having a weak engine break in this engine helps you achieve very good fuel efficiency when in town if you anticipate the traffic ahead a bit. Basically, when knowing / assuming that you will have to slow down or stop, you can lift your foot off the gas early and let the car roll under inertia, preferably in a higher gear (for example 4th at 2000 rpm or more). The car will loose speed slowly and you will be travelling for free :).

Last edited:

mpir413

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si 2018
Country flag
Hey guys,I'm fairly new to the forum. Please excuse my long post but I wanted to be as thorough and detailed as possible. My new SI that I drive about 45-50 miles a day is making me nervous because it has developed a rather louder than what may or may not be normal ticking sounds. Having a 2nd Gen Acura Integra for years, I knew this very well could be a Honda thing. It definitely goes away when the RPS are coming down. However During the first couple of weeks + the engine ticks were whisper quite. They were there but not very audible. During these first couple of weeks of owning the car I absolutely babied her to give her a smooth break in, up to about 650 miles. During this time I did absolutely NO launches, only revved to about 3500 RPM and I barley even hit boost, 1-3 IBS tops and if I saw boost was coming on I backed off right away.
At the end of the break in period I decided to ordered a Ktuner V2 to jazz her up a bit. For the next week after patiently completing the break in of 650 miles, I started to engage in some spirited driving and by No means " beating " . For the next 350 miles or so (still waiting for my Ktuner unit to arrive) I occasionally and moderately sped up from 1st-4th gear rolling my foot into the throttle maybe revving her out to 4500-5500( some WOT on the highway) but no redline no rev-limiter no tire cherpping and I still haven't launched the car to this day, (meaning dumping the clutch from like anything over 1000 RPM). SO Still up to this point(about 1000 miles) whisper quite ticking/ clicking from most likely the injectors and or lifters, like you could barely notice it. It was there but you had to listen for it, but it wasn't sticking out in anyway.
Skip to 6 days ago My Ktuner V.2 shows up Friday and I have about 1000 miles on car. Of course I could barely contain myself and I had to install it and flash it as soon as I got home from work. I went with the normal/23 base flash and didn't mess with an other settings. That night I drove around did some data logging and didn't notice anything out of the usual ( <14 AFRs , .49-.53 knock learn and knock count went up something like 20 that night over a few mile drive) except the car moved like a bat out of hell when you got on it... :) .... For the next three days the car seemed fine. I drove to and from work mostly in normal mode and would pop it in and out of sport on the way home.(man that boost feels good) I even sent some data logs to a well known tuner that gave me the thumbs up and said the car was running safe and the tune was good.
However, when I went out to start my car 2 days ago and warm it up, this is when I noticed that there was some rather louder than normal ticking almost buzzing noise going on. I didn't think much of it because it sounded like a loose washer or heat shield, and with a tiny blip of the throttle the sound seemed to vanish. So with a stressful day at work I sort of forgot about it, until the next day when I heard it again and investigated a bit further. Holding the throttle doesn't make it go away, but on the down rev it seems to vanish. This leads me to the very first time popping the hood and being confronted with the nosiest newest engine iv'e ever heard in my life. I'm not gonna lie, this made my heart flutter. I immediately flashed the ECU back to stock to see if the top end would shut the heck up and stop what nearly sounds like chattering. After the flash back to stock, I started the car and proceeded to go and have a good listen under the hood. Bringing my head close to the valve cover, I can hear the noisy injectors (don't sound too loud) but moving my head closer to the drivers side of the valve cover there is another noisy ticking /clicking maybe even tapping/ clacking noise. Please tell me I haven't bent a valve. I've run nothing but shell V Power 93 octane and even add a bit of octane booster from tank to tank which I've only filled like 4 times now.
I've called my sales man and hes trying to get me a service appointment/loaner car asap. I'm thinking I shouldn't drive it until its checked out.
If anyone is reading I'll let you know the results as soon as I find out. fingers crossed

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
You modified your car. It wasn’t designed for that. You don’t deserve a loaner car or pity from a dealership.

You done fucked up. It’s pay to play I hope you have a good job.
Sponsored