New si making ticking sound

ARod1982

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
guys

Not sure if this is normal but when i turn on my si there is a pretty well defined fast ticking sounds coming from the top of the engine. My 9th gen did the same thing (like plugs firing) but not that loud. It only does it at ideal once i give it gas in gear or in neutral it goes away up until the needle comes down to idel then it ticks again. Hopefully this is normal just want to see if its happening to anyone else. If i have my windows up and ac blasting i csn barely hear it just for example. Maybe im just paranoid but thanks for any help you guys can give
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm pretty sensitive to noises and I haven't notice anything like that in mine. There's a vacuum solenoid used by the EVAP system that can tick audibly at idle, but I've never heard one inside a vehicle before. You usually only hear that with the hood up. Can you make a video and post it on YouTube?

OP
OP
ARod1982

ARod1982

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sensitive to noises and I haven't notice anything like that in mine. There's a vacuum solenoid used by the EVAP system that can tick audibly at idle, but I've never heard one inside a vehicle before. You usually only hear that with the hood up. Can you make a video and post it on YouTube?
With the hood open u can really hear it. With it closed you still hear it but not as loud. Thanks for the quick reply ill try and post a vid tomorrow

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2015 Hyundai Sante Fe Sport, 2002 Duramax, Sold 1999 Civic Si
Country flag
It sounds like it might be the typical direct injection tick that all the DI engines seem to have today. They are like mini-diesels with the way they sound. Just a thought.

H23civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
It sounds like it might be the typical direct injection tick that all the DI engines seem to have today. They are like mini-diesels with the way they sound. Just a thought.
What he said. It's the injectors for di. All of our jukes at the nissan dealership make the exact same ticking noise. They're direct injected as well. Usually loudest at cold start, when they're using more fuel.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
It's because of direct injection . It was concerning to me at first . It's very audible . Especially in areas that tend to echo .

No worries tho .

OP
OP
ARod1982

ARod1982

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's because of direct injection . It was concerning to me at first . It's very audible . Especially in areas that tend to echo .

No worries tho .
Damn i didnt think of the echoing. It was more notice able in my garage. Thanks everyone for your help!

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
On some Honda engines, the new Earth Dreams engines, they were putting little shrouds around the injectors to keep noise down. It does not appear that Honda is using them on the Si.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
I hear it ALOT sitting in traffic next to mid lane barriers .it goes away at a certain rpm.

akirarex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic
Country flag
The fuel pressure on the new Earth Dreams direct injection engines use like 2,500 - 3,000 psi working pressure. So those injectors turn on and off very fast to keep the correct flow. In comparison, the old engines used to use around 42-45 psi working pressure. You can see that the need for a "snappy" injector is needed under those significantly higher pressures.

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Necro-post, I know!

But seriously, I'm still wondering something.... just like most folks on here, I can hear the injectors better sometimes than other times. But how come sometimes the sound disappears altogether? In a relatively confined space like a parking garage, it sounds so obvious when I'm idling up to a turn with my windows down and the radio off. But then I blip the throttle to put it in gear/accelerate through the turn, and the clicking seems to completely disappear. In a tight space it's like someone hit the mute button, and all you can hear is a PFI engine at slightly above idle. Why is that? A trick of the ear because they're going so fast, or something else going on?

Any scientistey/engineerey types care to explain?

delsorbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si sedan '18
Country flag
I have only seen one other Si at low speeds / idle and it also made that sound. However I have seen numerous other Civics that do not make that sound at all. aren't all civics DI or is there something different happenign with Si's?

DyM

First Name
Dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not all civics are DI. Historically, not all Si's have been DI either. For instance, the 2015 Si (2.4L VTEC) was port injected. Most non-turbo, non-Si Civics are port injected as well, if I'm consuming my research correctly. DI was mostly for the performance line.

I have only seen one other Si at low speeds / idle and it also made that sound. However I have seen numerous other Civics that do not make that sound at all. aren't all civics DI or is there something different happenign with Si's?

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
My '17 SI has always had the ticking, sewing machine-like sound at idle. Recently however, it has sometimes started chirping at idle and very low RPM's. It sounds like a very fast chirping cricket, and seems to occur more once the engine has warmed up. It is also not a constant sound, and seems to cut out every few seconds before returning. Honda technicians claim that they can't hear anything wrong, so maybe it's just normal?

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Necro-post, I know!

But seriously, I'm still wondering something.... just like most folks on here, I can hear the injectors better sometimes than other times. But how come sometimes the sound disappears altogether? In a relatively confined space like a parking garage, it sounds so obvious when I'm idling up to a turn with my windows down and the radio off. But then I blip the throttle to put it in gear/accelerate through the turn, and the clicking seems to completely disappear. In a tight space it's like someone hit the mute button, and all you can hear is a PFI engine at slightly above idle. Why is that? A trick of the ear because they're going so fast, or something else going on?

Any scientistey/engineerey types care to explain?
The DI shuts off when the RPMs are in decline. You can test this by driving close to the wall of a building.

1. Roll down your window and have the building close to your driver's side.
2. Start accelerating.
3. Shift to 2nd gear and let off the gas. (you'll hear the clicks stop)
4. You'll reach a low enough rpm that the injectors begin to fire again. This happens as the engine needs to keep turning, and the rolling momentum can longer sustain the resistance of the engine turning.

Important note: You use 0 fuel when engine braking. It's just how it works folks.
Sponsored

Reactions: DyM