New Product Tease: Wunderladen Racing Catch Can!!

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Hey folks, we've been testing this on our development car for a few weeks now and we're happy to report it's been working great!

Our catch cans use a combo of a diverter plate and triple baffle design to effectively filter oil vapors from the air being pulled back into the intake. It's a sealed can setup but if someone wanted to run a non recirculated can it can also accommodate a vent filter at the top.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Product Tease: Wunderladen Racing Catch Can!! cutaway.PNG

Normally we don't design with other companies' aftermarket parts in mind but we understand that many people do run ethanol sensors so they can utilize flex fuel so one of our goals was to make it compatible with kits that mount on the firewall like the PRL kit. We also wanted it to be located in an area that would be convenient for installation/removal and easy to drain. Lastly, we wanted it to be compatible with all 10th generation Civics, we're still waiting on our Type R tester to come back to confirm fitment with our final revision bracket but I'm fairly sure it'll fit no different there!

And here's what we came up with! It mounts using one of the bolt locations for the coolant expansion tank putting the can right next to the passenger side strut tower. This makes the can easy to install and remove and also gives good access for reaching the drain petcock on the bottom of the can!

Honda Civic 10th gen New Product Tease: Wunderladen Racing Catch Can!! catch can

Expect to see them on the site in the coming weeks. Let us know what you guys think!

Last edited:

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Nice. Love that it has a drain petcock, as that is always something that I look for in an OCC. Makes service very simple. The baffles look fine, but a steel or brass mesh would also help improve the filtration, or so I like to think.

Something that I like to do, and would also recommend to others, is to fit a barb to the petcock and place a length of hose routed down to the bottom of the engine compartment. This allows for easy draining into a used oil basin or separate container for inspection during an oil change, further simplifying maintenance.

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Nice. Love that it has a drain petcock, as that is always something that I look for in an OCC. Makes service very simple. The baffles look fine, but a steel or brass mesh would also help improve the filtration, or so I like to think.

Something that I like to do, and would also recommend to others, is to fit a barb to the petcock and place a length of hose routed down to the bottom of the engine compartment. This allows for easy draining into a used oil basin or separate container for inspection during an oil change, further simplifying maintenance.
Adding a mesh filter isn't a bad idea; there's two reasons we don't use it. 1: it slightly reduces the volume of the can. 2: the baffle design we use already works fantastic. This can is a part our sister company has been selling very successfully in other platforms for over 10 years :)

We completely agree about the barb and hose to make draining easier, that's we why include it with our kits! It's not shown because I'm still working on finding the most convenient hose routing to document for our install guide.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
FYI we'll be announcing this tomorrow and it'll be on the site for purchase! The install guide will also be live on the site as well :)

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I did this exact thing to my catch can. The Mishimoto have a drain plug in the bottom which is a specific thread that I can’t remember this second. I just got a petcock from Lowe’s with a barbed hose end on it and ran the drain down the wheel well to the ground. I attached the hose with hose clamp screws. Pop the hood and flip the switch! No more shitty oil/gas on my manifold!

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Austin, the catch can looks good. What are your thoughts on running one for the CCv side?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to add a catch can there but I don't think it'd make as large of an impact. With the way the L15 is setup the rear valve cover port draws directly from the bottom of the crankcase through a sealed passage that goes through the head. The bottom of the crankcase where the rotating assembly is where most of the crankcase pressure comes from. The CCV (front port on the valve cover) is drawing from the top of the engine by the valvetrain which doesn't see as much pressure and blow by as the bottom of the crankcase where the rotating assembly is. But more filtration is never a bad thing and if we see a need or demand for CCV side can then we will look into producing one.

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX, 2022 Honda Navi
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Interesting. I appreciate the fact it's vented. The mounting location isn't what I expected, but I like the idea. I'd be curious to see how it fits with a strut tower bar installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Interesting. I appreciate the fact it's vented. The mounting location isn't what I expected, but I like the idea. I'd be curious to see how it fits with a strut tower bar installed.
It is sold as a sealed configuration but we can offer a vent for the top if someone wanted to run it as a vented configuration, though I don't think that is really needed for 99% of people. The sealed configuration should fit under most strut bars without issue, the can is lower than the brake fluid reservoir, but I am not sure about if it had a vent on it.

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It is sold as a sealed configuration but we can offer a vent for the top if someone wanted to run it as a vented configuration, though I don't think that is really needed for 99% of people. The sealed configuration should fit under most strut bars without issue, the can is lower than the brake fluid reservoir, but I am not sure about if it had a vent on it.
Dumb question. Would there be any harm in installing a vent filter AND recirculating back into the intake manifold? Using it as sort of a crankcase pressure vent while also extracting oil? I'm assuming for 99% of us, using it as designed as perfectly fine. Was just curious since I've always heard the "catch can is useless unless vented" argument but never any tangible evidence as to why.

Having the petcock and hose will make draining it 10x easier than my Mishimoto with a 27Won bar installed. I'm just too lazy to uninstall the bar to then install a catch can.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Dumb question. Would there be any harm in installing a vent filter AND recirculating back into the intake manifold? Using it as sort of a crankcase pressure vent while also extracting oil? I'm assuming for 99% of us, using it as designed as perfectly fine. Was just curious since I've always heard the "catch can is useless unless vented" argument but never any tangible evidence as to why.

Having the petcock and hose will make draining it 10x easier than my Mishimoto with a 27Won bar installed. I'm just too lazy to uninstall the bar to then install a catch can.
I would definitely not configure it for vented and recirculated. Since the engine uses a MAF to measure airflow it would run lean under vacuum due to the unmetered air it would pull in from the catch can's filter and would create a boost leak as well.

Sealed and recirculated cans definitely have their place, it's normal that once people build their bottom ends they see more blow by and a catch can becomes more of a necessary part. More people opt for a vented set up in those situations because there is zero ability for the oil vapors to get into the intake tract and sealed cans aren't always a great option for engines that have a lot of blow by. But for OEM engine internals a sealed and recirculated can is a safe and easy way to make the system that much cleaner.

slwkrt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I would definitely not configure it for vented and recirculated. Since the engine uses a MAF to measure airflow it would run lean under vacuum due to the unmetered air it would pull in from the catch can's filter and would create a boost leak as well.

Sealed and recirculated cans definitely have their place, it's normal that once people build their bottom ends they see more blow by and a catch can becomes more of a necessary part. More people opt for a vented set up in those situations because there is zero ability for the oil vapors to get into the intake tract and sealed cans aren't always a great option for engines that have a lot of blow by. But for OEM engine internals a sealed and recirculated can is a safe and easy way to make the system that much cleaner.
Thank you for the explanation.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Figured I'd share this here. I drained the can on our development car yesterday and got about 1-1.5oz of oil/water crap mixture. This is after a 7-8k mile oil change and pretty consistent with what we've seen since installing the OCC.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Product Tease: Wunderladen Racing Catch Can!! oil
Sponsored