NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
ive been following this thread heavily and ready every comment. i have had a p0420 code for 1 year now. The CEL goes off and on depending on fuel tank amount and air temp and well the ecu not liking the prl catted downpipe. I originally had fabspeed defouler, worked for 1.5 years then CEL started. I basically just lived with it for 1 year now. Yesterday i tried to install the spark plug defouler trick. My o2 sensor doesn't even fit the spark plug defouler and the vibrant j style defouler is to long to just screw on the dp. Dp has to be removed before the vibrant defouler is installed. I am going back to the fab speed due to easy 2 piece install then ill add the vibrant j style defouler. I need to nip this in the bud. Absolutely sick of this CEL. I check with honda about the DI fuel trims
Yeah you can just turn it off unless they check your computer for readiness like the awesome state I live in which is connecticut. I understand a lot of other places in the North East are the same way.

We can figure this out together my friend. The J style wide open with no insert for me was still showing lean.. so that wont work at all. It seems to be easier to run rich and pull it back. On the other hand if your lean and its tightened all the way with no insert you cant get it closer or more open then that.

This shit is still confusing me a bit but my understanding is if you're rich you need a longer O2 Spacer or a bigger opening. Too much the other way you are running lean you need to tighten it more or use a smaller or more straight spacer.

Chandler92

First Name
Chandler Boyer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
T
Yeah you can just turn it off unless they check your computer for readiness like the awesome state I live in which is connecticut. I understand a lot of other places in the North East are the same way.

We can figure this out together my friend. The J style wide open with no insert for me was still showing lean.. so that wont work at all. It seems to be easier to run rich and pull it back. On the other hand if your lean and its tightened all the way with no insert you cant get it closer or more open then that.

This shit is still confusing me a bit but my understanding is if you're rich you need a longer O2 Spacer or a bigger opening. Too much the other way you are running lean you need to tighten it more or use a smaller or more straight spacer.
Hats so crazy that littke adjustments like that alter it so much

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
So I ended up finding a generic defouler on ebay after trying damn near everything. It worked for a few months worth of driving at this point. Then Some girl hit me at an intersection and my car got hit mostly on suspension parts on the front left, along with the bumper but nothing in the front. I was told the frame didnt even move. I finally got it home and drove for a few days and the light came on. I noticed that the mileage was reset so I'm sure they probably had to clear the codes.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
How long have you kept the CEL off? It's great you found something.
A long time .. whats weird is when I first put it on I did so with no insert .. and that worked for a few months until it got colder. Then I put it the middle insert and its been off ever since. I am pretty happy my hard work payed off and I found something.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Im still messing with this thing and fighting rich/lean codes. Does anyone know of a defouler that works a bit better? I had this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-Oxygen-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 with the medium insert and it worked all summer until it got really cold and it ran lean. I then took out the insert and put in a slightly more open insert .. still lean. Then I took the insert out completely and its rich. This thing is really a pain in my ass. I heard the catless are actually easier to trick, I wish I went that route. I also tried loosening it a turn or two and still seems to pop a code either lean or rich depending on how I tightened it. I know im basically right there since it takes a while to pop. Im wondering if there is a better defouler.

Mburkey

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si coupe
Country flag
Where is this defouler at I tried the link but it didn't work
Sponsored