Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Do you flash back to stock on hotter days?
No. Obviously not. But I do take it easier in this type of heat.

When I load a new tune I spend a few days putting it through it's paces and then do a detailed write up here.

It would be kind of moronic to push it on 100 degree, humid days and base my review on that. Smarter to wait.
Sponsored

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So just got back from a long test drive from the 1.5R tune.

My my my. It's quite different from the TSP tune.

Immediately I noticed the higher idle (800rpm) that is smoother than TSP's (700). So it feels less grumbly. Also maybe because of that the exhaust note sounds a bit different.

Driving wise is where it gets interesting.

TSP I felt like had more punch in the mid range and then didn't do so well up top. However, with the 1.5R tune, it kept carrying even up top. A very weird sensation because I've been with the TSP tune for 1.5 years.

Spirited driving characteristics are quite different. The 1.5R tune hits differently (maybe a bit harder) and carries through.

Another point that is quite different than the TSP, but this may depend on the driver, is I normally drive the TSP tune so boost hits and I feel it even in normal driving. However, the 1.5R doesn't hit. It's normal. I don't get any jerking like from what I got from the TSP.

All in all, the 1.5R is worth it and is quite different compared to the TSP. As gtman had said, the 1.5R tune feels more refined in all aspects.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
All in all, the 1.5R is worth it and is quite different compared to the TSP. As gtman had said, the 1.5R tune feels more refined in all aspects.
Straight up, here's the thing. Derek is a great guy and an amazing tuner. He did a customized version of the TSP 1 for me. And I used that tune until I switched to the Phearable 1.5 tune. I thought the TSP tune was amazing. My only minor gripe was some occasional jerkiness when going heavy on throttle down low and the softer than KTuner Starter low end response. But overall an amazing tune.

John Vega's specialty seems to be smoothness. The Phearable tune took away any jerkiness I felt with TSP. At first it feels almost too smooth, especially down low. But drive it more and you understand how the power build up works and how to modulate the throttle a bit differently. It's a near perfect OTS tune.

Can't wait to upload the even better 1.5R.

Here's the perfect scenario to explain the difference in the way John's tune is setup. I have a big hill that I turn into leading up to my street. With the KTuner and TSP tune, I make the left hand turn and then I love to blip the throttle at about 40% to get a surge of power up the hill. Feels awesome. First time I did it with the Phearable tune, it was smooth but I didn't get the surge of power I expected.

The next time I gave it just a bit more throttle and I hit that surge... but good. It felt stronger than the other tunes, too.

Last edited:

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wanted to put an update pertaining to my situation earlier in this thread. Nearing the bottom of my tank of gas and will be trying a different station in hopes of solving the mystery I had. With that said, the tune feels absolutely amazing. Car feels much more refined than stock, and sportier than even Ktuner. Car does seem to be a bit "laggy" under 3,000 rpm, but it isn't exactly an issue to me. I still manage around 40mpg when not heavy on the throttle and when I get on it, car does not feel like a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder. It feels more powerful than our 2007 Mustang 4.0 (I mean the Civic makes close to 40 more torque, and close to 30 more HP than the v6 Mustang), like it's a true v6 motor and not a turbo 4cyl. Absolutely incredible sensation only going half throttle to pass someone in map 2/3 and just jumping 20mph in 3 seconds.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Straight up, here's the thing. Derek is a great guy and an amazing tuner. He did a customized version of the TSP 1 for me. And I used that tune until I switched to the Phearable 1.5 tune. I thought the TSP tune was amazing. My only minor gripe was some occasional jerkiness when going heavy on throttle down low and the softer than KTuner Starter low end response. But overall an amazing tune.

John Vega's specialty seems to be smoothness. The Phearable tune took away any jerkiness I felt with TSP. At first it feels almost too smooth, especially down low. But drive it more and you understand how the power build up works and how to modulate the throttle a bit differently. It's a near perfect OTS tune.

Can't wait to upload the even better 1.5R.

Here's the perfect scenario to explain the difference in the way John's tune is setup. I have a big hill that I turn into leading up to my street. With the KTuner and TSP tune, I make the left hand turn and then I love to blip the throttle at about 40% to get a surge of power up the hill. Feels awesome. First time I did it with the Phearable tune, it was smooth but I didn't get the surge of power I expected.

The next time I gave it just a bit more throttle and I hit that surge... but good. It felt stronger than the other tunes, too.
I really think so after using this tune... It's... Almost too smooth compared to TSP's tune. Before with TSP's tune you know when you're in boost... But now... I mean I know but my body doesn't? It's a very different experience.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really think so after using this tune... It's... Almost too smooth compared to TSP's tune. Before with TSP's tune you know when you're in boost... But now... I mean I know but my body doesn't? It's a very different experience.
I think that smoothness may be a key to long term reliability... hopefully.

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that smoothness may be a key to long term reliability... hopefully.
Okay that too... I will have to admit, after seeing those power figures... My foot was a bit nervous to go WOT. For as long as I've been on this forum I've been told 250tq is where the limit of the CVT is... But now it's 270+. I'm hoping and praying nothing goes boom.

But man oh man... When you do go WOT... hehe, you just smile. I'm just excited for lower temps to see how much better it'll be. My IATs were about 107F so... heh oops. It's hot here in TX.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Car does seem to be a bit "laggy" under 3,000 rpm, but it isn't exactly an issue to me.
I don't think it's "lag" exactly, more so that power delivery/response down low is just a lot less lively than when you put your foot into it. :cool:

bmfontdevila

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can't wait to get the 1.5R for the hatch end of the month. I was planning on getting the 1.5 already but this thread has me very excited.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
T
I don't think it's "lag" exactly, more so that power delivery/response down low is just a lot less lively than when you put your foot into it. :cool:
That puts it way better. If I floor it from low speed it doesn't miss a beat, but if I ease into it like i try to do at highway speeds, it isn't as responsive. As you like to say, it's all in your right foot!

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
Considering these are likely tested on vehicles with the L15B7

Would it be wise to stay away from specific tunes/maps?

even on a ktuner base map, i don’t think I’ve had the balls to max the settings. On my old ex-t and Si, that wasn’t a problem but this damn fk7 motor and it’s weaker rods/head makes it meh, i should just be prepared to blow this motor, or be prepared to make it last with a minor basemap tune until the time to r&r.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
@gtman you talked up phearable 1.5 so much you made me buy it... ended up getting 1.5R since I have E85 down the street sohopefully it comes in faster than the 2-3 business days. Regardless, I have to take my car in to the body shop because someone scraped my bumper after running a light :/

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Considering these are likely tested on vehicles with the L15B7

Would it be wise to stay away from specific tunes/maps?

even on a ktuner base map, i don’t think I’ve had the balls to max the settings. On my old ex-t and Si, that wasn’t a problem but this damn fk7 motor and it’s weaker rods/head makes it meh, i should just be prepared to blow this motor, or be prepared to make it last with a minor basemap tune until the time to r&r.
I mean if you wanna check out gtman's signature there is data on how many people are tuned and those that have had problems. From what I can see just running the aggressive tune doesn't lead to blown motors/transmission. A host of other factors + a custom tune running too much hp/tq usually causes it.

Smellycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic
Country flag
I mean if you wanna check out gtman's signature there is data on how many people are tuned and those that have had problems. From what I can see just running the aggressive tune doesn't lead to blown motors/transmission. A host of other factors + a custom tune running too much hp/tq usually causes it.
yeah I’ve only seen 1 failure that caught my eye in the thread but as you said
It’s usually a sub 25 year old running more than 23-24psi abusing the shit out of it
Or those running random bov etc

ill Have to get the pherable and see what I’m missing out on, I’ll do a nice update on that thread

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
Definitely keeping my eye on this tune. But only having 91 with no E85 around and pretty consistent temps over 100 make me a bit hesitant.
Sponsored