• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

New Owner Observation / Stories

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
Ill chime in.

I can understand why so many people get upset with cars getting heavier every generation and why so many talk about the joy of a light sport cars.

The biggest observation so far that I notice is the difference in weight with the CTR compared to my GT350. Noticed the weight difference with my previous car (Scion tC) but I really couldn't feel it in terms of driving dynamics because the tC is just so slow and poor at handling (not sure if that makes sense?)

With the CTR I can really feel the weight difference in terms of driving dynamics because I can go through the same corners as my Mustang and feel how light the car is. Its definitely not as loud or rambunctious as the Mustang but it feels fun it its own right because its so light and quick. It doesn't suffer from the 4cyclinder anemia that the GR86/BRZ and Miata have.

When I really push the car, it feels so nimble and I get what people say now about it feeling like a go kart.
Yep, a badass go cart. That’s a good way to sum it up.
Sponsored

M!!!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5, GR Yaris, FJ Cruiser, Jimny, NA and ND Miata
I just realized that the FL5 has a tiny fuel tank lol. Just 47 liters / 12.4 gallons, about the same as a much smaller (and more economical) ND Miata.

Oh well, a trivial matter in the greater scheme of things I guess

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Random hate...

Fixation on numbers...

Mentioning two VW products...

Boostlag is that you?
The fact is lot of people act like this 13.7-14.2 car is a super car when it’s far from it. It’s also not even close to a go kart, maybe a few people need to go drive an Ariel Atom or Lotus Exige before making such a comparison.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
The fact is lot of people act like this 13.7-14.2 car is a super car when it’s far from it. It’s also not even close to a go kart, maybe a few people need to go drive an Ariel Atom or Lotus Exige before making such a comparison.
Take it to a new thread please. Nobody is taking the bait.

OP
OP

mbaapk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pacifica
I just realized that the FL5 has a tiny fuel tank lol. Just 47 liters / 12.4 gallons, about the same as a much smaller (and more economical) ND Miata.

Right it’s funny, i fill up more often but spend less to fill up. Somehow psychologically it seems more acceptable even though its the same amount of money lol.

ElDuder

First Name
El
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Take it to a new thread please. Nobody is taking the bait.
Facts aren’t bait. It’s a fun car but not as mythical as everyone likes to make them. This is probably why there’s so many low mileage FK8s sitting on used lots. I’m also saying this as an owner of 4 Hondas lol.

madbikes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5 CTR

That is a perfect excuse for bathroom breaks, especially having a lead foot on road trips.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Always wanted to drive the Tail but I have heard that there are so many people on it now that it may not be as much fun as you would expect. But still worthwhile no doubt if you have the patience - it is a long drive.
I would love to drive down Angeles Crest - looks great in all the Everyday Driver videos - or maybe Road America or VIR, etc. True joy if I ever get to drive the 'Ring. Got to have something to look forward to. There are some fun twisty roads here in AZ as well, with amazing scenery as a bonus.

polishedmetalctr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
According to C&D the FL5 runs a 13.5 at 106. The trap speed is pretty high for this time which shows that once the car is rolling it’s pretty quick.
Its plenty quick, and the 2021 LE even ran a 13.3 @ 110. 2020 Type R also ran a 13.4 @108. I find it odd the new one is slightly slower but its still very quick. Excited to try new one.

DarthTrizzle

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe
Always wanted to drive the Tail but I have heard that there are so many people on it now that it may not be as much fun as you would expect. But still worthwhile no doubt if you have the patience - it is a long drive.
I would love to drive down Angeles Crest - looks great in all the Everyday Driver videos - or maybe Road America or VIR, etc. True joy if I ever get to drive the 'Ring. Got to have something to look forward to. There are some fun twisty roads here in AZ as well, with amazing scenery as a bonus.
Depends on when you go. We went in October last year on a Tuesday morning and it was pretty sparse. If you go on an event weekend it will be packed. Definitely worth the drive and there are many roads nearby that are great drives with amazing views. Cherohala is nearby and great as well.

Rad Ray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FL5
I grew up in NC and not far from "The Tail." At one time, and when it was relatively new and had a more "grippy" surface (i.e., rough), it was a lot of fun to dirve. Over time the area's scenic beauty rightfully drew larger numbers of travelers and the congestion became a major drag - no pun intended. I've ridden it many times on a motorcycle and always knew to avoid the fall when slippery leaves were a danger and during the winter when tires were harder and ice would remain in shady areas even into April. Then the police stared patrolling after complaints of recklessness - a good thing. My favorite times were in early August around dinner time when most of the tourist were chowing down elsewhere and the cops were changing patrols. Still, I got ticketed a few times - rightfully so too - LOL!

CTRifecta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Agree that it's odd the new FL5 is slower in the 1/4 then the fk8. Not by much but still interesting given the HP/tq are slightly increased and weight overall the same

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
Agree that it's odd the new FL5 is slower in the 1/4 then the fk8. Not by much but still interesting given the HP/tq are slightly increased and weight overall the same
Do not underestimate the impact of the final drive ratio change.

Obscure_Worship

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Honda Civic
Ding, ding, ding. 4.1 down to 3.8 final drive.
Still waiting for a brave FL5 owner to put a FK8 final drive into their new car. I'm guessing that is the difference. I would suspect the FL5 would be as fast, if not faster than FK8. It would probably end up being slower around most technical circuits because of all the extra shifts going into corners etc. I suspect thats why they opted for a longer final drive. Sacrifice straight line acceleration for more track flexibility.
Sponsored