New Member, New Car!

mgnexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Mike and I started shopping for a new car a couple of months ago. Originally, I was looking at the 2016 Toyota Corolla, since I currently owned the 2003 S model and I figured it was a good upgrade. Well, after reading about how generally incorrect I was (and how utterly bland the 2016 model looked), I stumbled on the unveiling video for the Civic and was pretty much set on it from day one. After knowing what my next car would be after 12 years, I noticed that this site consistently brought the goods, and I've been lurking ever since.

Happy to say I just grabbed mine this past Saturday. I got the Lunar Silver EX-T. I originally wanted the Wing Spoiler instead of the Deck Lid variety, but after seeing the Wing Spoiler in person on the silver...it made me like the Deck Lid version more for whatever reason, and went with that instead. Now that I'm an owner, I thought I'd come out of the shadows and join the conversations.

I thought I loved this car when I test drove it, but all the little things it does beyond it's initial 15 minute impression continues to make me happy with my purchase.

I just completed a 5 hour round trip drive to San Francisco while it was pouring down rain, but the car never felt like it was anywhere close to out of my control. Credit new tires sure, but my Corolla had nearly brand new all-season tires, and did not handle nearly as well. I was also pretty shocked to see that while my windshield was being pelted with rain, my back window was almost completely dry. Go go gadget aerodynamics? Impressive.

The ride was also smooth in comparison and the seats did not leave me or my wife hurting when we got out. She has a rare nerve condition that affects her back down to her feet, so this was a huge deal for her.

The sound system disappointed me at first, but it seems like it just needed a little warming up, because it sounds amazing now.

It's also some of the little things that count for me. The auto unlock and walk away lock make me particularly giddy (my Corolla was on the tail end of the "No Cool Tech in Cars" era so I'm spoiled now. Android Auto works pretty flawlessly, and the voice recognition was accurate in all but 2 cases on the way down.

In a quick moment of embarrassment I'll share...when we finished up at the dealer, it was dark. I clicked the headlight lever up 1 notch from off, thinking that was the full headlights, but apparently that was a wrong assumption, and I got a few people on the freeway flashing me with their lights, warning me to turn mine on. Woops :)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and give my initial thoughts on the car. If you've read this far...can anyone tell me what the 2 long lights at the top of the center portion of the display mean? They seem to transition between green and white, but I've not been able to make heads or tails of it, and the manual does not seem to point them out at all.

Also, pics.

Honda Civic 10th gen New Member, New Car! 2016 Civic Front

Honda Civic 10th gen New Member, New Car! 2016 Civic Back

Last edited:

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Welcome to the owner's club Mike, congrats! I love reading new owner first impressions because it lets me relive mine :) It's too bad I never get to see my own tail lights because they're gorgeous every time I see them lit up in pics!

BTW the green and white lights int he cluster tell you how efficiently you're driving. If the green light comes on, car is telling you you're driving very efficiently and getting optimum MPG. White tells you you're not driving as efficiently as possible :)

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you've read this far...can anyone tell me what the 2 long lights at the top of the center portion of the display mean?
They let you know if you are driving "green". It's supposed to nudge you towards better gas mileage. If you notice, they go more white the harder you are accelerating. Congrats on the car. I am surprised how much I still like it each time I get in and drive it. Can't wait for a nice long trip.

OP
OP
mgnexus

mgnexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Ahh, I suspected that might be it, but never fully put 2 and 2 together. Thanks for the info you two :)

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad to hear you are happy with the tires. They seem to be questioned by some.

2006civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic coupe
Country flag
This is such a tough car to pick a color on. The more I see the lunar silver, the more I consider it way towards the top of the list. Anyway, Congrats on the car! Hoping we dont see you down in the audio threads in the near future.

OP
OP
mgnexus

mgnexus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
This is such a tough car to pick a color on. The more I see the lunar silver, the more I consider it way towards the top of the list. Anyway, Congrats on the car! Hoping we dont see you down in the audio threads in the near future.
You know, I'm a sucker for the "gun metal gray" look. It's the color of my last car. For this model, I just wasn't feeling it. It seemed to "dull" the attitude of the car too much. I really took a liking to the White, but my Wife kept trying to steer me towards Silver. Once I saw the Silver in person...it was all over, and I do not regret my decision in the slightest. It just looks sharp from every angle.

So far so good on the audio bit, so I hope not either =)
Sponsored