FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Hey guys so I currently have a 2016 Honda Civic EXT and i love the car just wish it had more driver engagement which is why I wanna move over to a Civic SI

I’ve never driven a manual been in the car with plenty of manual drivers including my dad(im 22)

Would learning on a newer civic SI screw up the clutch or transmission or do you think I’d be fine?
Sponsored

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Watch a few YouTube videos to get some idea. I know quite a few people who have never driven a manual, bought a brand new Si and drove home. Struggled for sure but did it.

Only way you will learn is to drive one daily. It will take you a week to two to get the hang of things. Don't panic if you stall, just turn on the hazards and start up again.

Also the si has brake hold, Rev hang, clutch delay valve. So as you are learning you can leave brake hold engaged so when you are stopped on an incline the car won't roll back. Great feature to have.

I been cars for almost 20 years and every single one I owned was manual.

Good luck!

OP
OP
FrankTheTank21

FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Not an Si, but I drove manual for the first time when I picked up my Type R.
I didn't have anyone to help me learn at all except for a bunch of YouTube videos.

You'll be fine.
I was actually looking into type Rs and my local dealership does 0 mark up how’s your experience with them and how many miles?

OP
OP
FrankTheTank21

FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
Watch a few YouTube videos to get some idea. I know quite a few people who have never driven a manual, bought a brand new Si and drove home. Struggled for sure but did it.

Only way you will learn is to drive one daily. It will take you a week to two to get the hang of things. Don't panic if you stall, just turn on the hazards and start up again.

Also the si has brake hold, Rev hang, clutch delay valve. So as you are learning you can leave brake hold engaged so when you are stopped on an incline the car won't roll back. Great feature to have.

I been cars for almost 20 years and every single one I owned was manual.

Good luck!
Appreciate the advice just don’t wanna screw up a new clutch or tranny in the my first few years with the car

L-Dragon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R #32686
Country flag
I was actually looking into type Rs and my local dealership does 0 mark up how’s your experience with them and how many miles?
Man, 0 markup would've been nice.
I had to deal with a $4K markup and that was the lowest in the area.

I only have about 3K miles on it (bought it back in March). Would've loved to drive it more, but due to Covid, I'm staying inside a lot more than usual.

The car is an absolute dream. Nothing like I've ever driven before. (It kinda scares me how hard it pulls)
However, first thing I did when I got the car was switch the 20" wheels for 18" ones. Lot of potholes around where I live due to harsh winters.

Thusee

First Name
Thusee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appreciate the advice just don’t wanna screw up a new clutch or tranny in the my first few years with the car

Only way to learn. Don't be afraid once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
We need more people like you! In addition to manual tutorial videos, also make sure you learn the right places to shift/accelerate so you aren't lugging your engine

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I learned on my CTR with the help of my dad and YouTube, and over 2 years later there is no sign of clutch issues. And I made SO MANY mistakes to where it took me over a month to learn how to drive relatively smoothly.

OP
OP
FrankTheTank21

FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
I learned on my CTR with the help of my dad and YouTube, and over 2 years later there is no sign of clutch issues. And I made SO MANY mistakes to where it took me over a month to learn how to drive relatively smoothly.
Appreciate the feedback man it’s definitely helping me ease my mind about screwing up lol I love the CTR I’m really thinking about grabbing one

OP
OP
FrankTheTank21

FrankTheTank21

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
We need more people like you! In addition to manual tutorial videos, also make sure you learn the right places to shift/accelerate so you aren't lugging your engine
Lol thanks man I love cars and the feeling of driving one I know manuals will bring it to a new level I see my friends who have an Si and one has a Golf R and both of them say they drive longer routes sometimes to enjoy the car

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys so I currently have a 2016 Honda Civic EXT and i love the car just wish it had more driver engagement which is why I wanna move over to a Civic SI

I’ve never driven a manual been in the car with plenty of manual drivers including my dad(im 22)

Would learning on a newer civic SI screw up the clutch or transmission or do you think I’d be fine?
Yes.
Hondas are the easiest manuals to learn to drive.
The shifters are buttery smooth and the clutch engagement is very smooth and intuitive.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've told this story before but I'm an oldtimer so forgive me for repeating myself.

Back in the early 80's I bought my first new Honda... a CRX. My previous cars were automatics but I really wanted this CRX bad. Anyway I drove my Trans Am (yeah I traded a Trans Am for a CRX) to the dealer to trade it in and pick up my manual CRX.

I hopped in my new red CRX and drove it home. It was a bit of an adventure but I only stalled it once. Within a day or two I almost felt like a pro. Honda manuals are terrific and these newer ones are easier to drive than ever with hill hold and such.

OP, you'll be fine.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I had a 2017 Si before my current Type R, The Si and R have to be perhaps the easiest cars to learn stick on. I taught my 16yo niece how to drive stick with the Si and she picked it up very quickly.
after a lecture on the basics and brief driving instructions maybe 45 minutes later she was able to drive the Si home without a single stall or issues, then again using brake hold is like using a cheat code. Your not going to have any issues with an Si

I learned on a 87 Mustang GT That is NOT the car to learn on.
Sponsored