New LX owner, having 2nd thoughts about trim

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I have owned many cars and one thing I can tell you is that you never think you have enough horsepower.

Aside from the Civic EX, I also own a 280hp Q5, a 300hp 335 and a 315hp Boxster S and continue to wish I have a 450hp 911, but that only gets you from one red light to another a couple of seconds faster than the other guy. Then a guy pulls up beside you in a sub 4 second Ferrari and you say, damn I which I had more hp. It never ends....

I love the EX. It is roomier than my BMW, way better on gas mileage and has more tech than my BMW and Audi combined for less than half the price of what I paid for either of them.

My advice is not to think too much about it and enjoy your new ride.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thank you guys for all the replies! Today I feel much better about my LX purchase. And honestly- I already went out of my comfort zone as far as payments with the warranty and service plans, so I wouldn't feel good about paying an extra $40 (possibly more) on my car payment as well as an increase to my insurance.

I definitely wouldn't "buy a Nissan" as Raw suggested, just because I couldn't get the top of the line Civic. I wanted another Civic for a reason, no shame in getting the base model. It's an awesome car and this is an awesome community, thank you all again.

Froggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX (Energy Green Pearl), 2018 Civic Hatch (Rallye Red)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi - LX Coupe owner here. :wave: Nice to find a fellow coupe owner and welcome. I got mine in the "safety color" of Pearl Energy Green. Love it! What color did you get yours in?

I think buyer's remorse is very common and that's what you're experiencing now. The base model is a HELLUVA car and still offers plenty of innovations to keep owners happy (e.g., backup camera, brake hold function, Sport mode, Econ Mode, remote locking/trunk, INCREDIBLE amount of room in the trunk for a coupe). You have to ask yourself if some of the 'doodads and fripperies' are worth it. For instance, I really liked the push-button start and got a kick out of it, but at the end of the day it wasn't a deal-breaker. Same with the sunroof.

The toughest thing I had to let go of was the idea of having a turbo engine; I test-drove different engines extensively and decided that there was plenty of zoom in the 2.0L engine for me to have fun driving. Would I like a turbo engine? Sure! But this trim level offered me the most of what I wanted at an incredible price. And it's a Honda, so great reliability and resale value (not like I'm going to resale anytime soon!).

I decided that, while I loved the ACC, the CC was more than acceptable because I was coming from a car that had no cruise control. (And, indeed, I am having a blast trying out the cruise control on the freeway - what a treat!) It probably matters what car you're coming from; I was coming from a 2003 Ford Focus.

As far as the engine is concerned: It has taken me at least 2 weeks of driving and experimentation to get to know the engine and how to get the most fun out of it. It takes time to develop your appreciation for the engine and what it's capable of doing.

Buying a car is very personal and full of compromises and you have to accept that no car will have everything you want. And what's important to me may not be important to the next driver.

What's done is done; my advice is to drive it, enjoy it, get to know the engine because you can still have alot of fun with the 2.0, and know that in a few years' time you can trade up to the next level trim (or whatever level you want).

LX is still a helluva car. Well done, Honda.:headbang:

2006civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 civic coupe
Country flag
I honestly don't understand the allure of push button start. I drove a car for a week that had it and I found I don't like the feeling of keys jammed in my pocket as I drive. So I would take them out, but then I had to remember to grab them again, which is more hassle then using keys to start the car in the first place.

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. Bought my LX Coupe yesterday; I did not even test drive or consider the higher trims due to price. Once I got home and realized how much I had invested to being with, I began having second thoughts about not getting the EX-T.

I called the dealer; I'm in California and there is no cool down period. They said since it's already registered I cannot exchange it. Bummer because I think I would after everything I've read.

LX owners- have any of you grappled with this issue? I like the car but am really missing out on a lot of extra features and the quicker engine.
I found the LX P to be perfect for me. Small payments and the only thing I really want that it doesn't have is the leather steering wheel. Thankfully it isn't very hard or expensive to get the leather wheel swapped in. I'm amazed the LX P has options on it that even high end models of other Hondas don't have. Bought my wife an Exl navi Hrv and she doesn't even have remote start! Had a loaner 2016 Crv from the dealer and it even lacks auto climate controls. Honda should probably update the other cars they have.

OP
OP

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi - LX Coupe owner here. :wave: Nice to find a fellow coupe owner and welcome. I got mine in the "safety color" of Pearl Energy Green. Love it! What color did you get yours in?
As far as the engine is concerned: It has taken me at least 2 weeks of driving and experimentation to get to know the engine and how to get the most fun out of it. It takes time to develop your appreciation for the engine and what it's capable of doing.
Thanks Froggie, I agree with a lot of what you said. I think I'd have had some remorse no matter what I got, since it's such a big purchase and this was my first car. I got the Crystal Black Pearl (can't wait to tint the windows- a bit opposite of your safety color, but I like yours a lot! Did not see any on the lot to appreciate.) And what you said about waiting to get to know the engine reminded me that I in fact HATED driving my manual transmission '04 the first few months. It took half a year to truly learn and appreciate it. I should have realized I won't go from that car to a brand new CVT without some decent time to adjust. Thanks again! I can't wait for a reason to hop in it today.

I honestly don't understand the allure of push button start. I drove a car for a week that had it and I found I don't like the feeling of keys jammed in my pocket as I drive. So I would take them out, but then I had to remember to grab them again, which is more hassle then using keys to start the car in the first place.
I could see myself doing the same thing, often. Even though my ignition recently went out on my '04 Civic, I like having the key.

I have owned many cars and one thing I can tell you is that you never think you have enough horsepower.
My advice is not to think too much about it and enjoy your new ride.
Great point! Good to know, especially comparing your other rides. Thanks Dan.

craigm1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey & Inifiniti Q50
Next year I'm thinking of getting either an ex-t or a touring. Is the stereo and the headlights worth the extra money that's all I really care about.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't wish I had gotten another trim level, but that's mainly because I didn't want push button start or any of the other upper model crap. To each his own. You could trade it and take a hit, up to you.

I love my LX Coupe.

No Regerts!

Last edited:

DokZayas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Caravan, Aveo5
I been shopping for the civic since March. I went from a EXT to a EXl to a touring...I am going with a touring cause I don't want any Regrets... I want the turbo, hid lights,sensing and nav. I will not have second thoughts a week from now or a year. It will eat you up in side. Trust me I been there. If you trade it in you will take a 3 to 4K bath. For that you could have got a touring model for that price. If my mother where going to buy a new civic she would pick a LX model. She's 70. Lesson learned... This is tuff love
Quick correction: The Touring has LED headlights, not HID.

JJT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXL with navigation
After a few minor glitches I can say that I love the choice of the EX-L with navigation.

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
Thanks Troy. I should mention- I've been driving the base model 2004 Civic with manual transmission the last 9 years. Although its considerably dropped in power over the years, I really enjoyed the feel of the manual transmission. I miss that most.

I took the new one for a drive after posting, and I am starting to feel better about the CVT. Although I would enjoy the power of the turbo, I don't think it would would be the cure-all to my missing the manual shifting.

You are right, it is a great car and an upgrade over my old ride in every other way. Appreciate the encouragement! First time car buyer, so I'm sure I'd have 2nd thoughts no matter what I went with (ie, stress over higher payment/insurance on a higher trim.)
Yea you got a great new car no matter what. :) Congratulations

nicoled985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L Sedan
Country flag
People are trying to save money ( penny smart pound foolish) but in the long run it costs them more when they trade it in for a higher model.

For example People buy a EXL for 22500 ballpark number. Cause that's all they could swing in payments. But the next week go and spend 1500 for touring rims cause they like the way they look. He/she could have just payed the few dollars more a month on a touring instead of the EXL. And got all the bells the touring comes with...

That's all I'm saying if your having seconds thoughts on the 2nd day you made the wrong decision.
Aren't they different by 1 inch? Lol it's the same design of rim that's for sure. I have an EX L with Nav.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Hey guys. Bought my LX Coupe yesterday; I did not even test drive or consider the higher trims due to price. Once I got home and realized how much I had invested to being with, I began having second thoughts about not getting the EX-T.

I called the dealer; I'm in California and there is no cool down period. They said since it's already registered I cannot exchange it. Bummer because I think I would after everything I've read.

LX owners- have any of you grappled with this issue? I like the car but am really missing out on a lot of extra features and the quicker engine.
Your dealer is correct - if you bought a used car with a purchase price of less than $40K, the dealer is required to offer you a contract cancellation option agreement. Since you bought a new car, it doesn't apply in your case.

I think you made a good buy - we bought the EX sedan, which also has the 2.0 engine like yours. I think it has plenty of grunt for such a small engine.
Sponsored