New Long Block: What should I know?

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That is not at all how that works. You like the idea of your performance car having major surgery? I can tell you the resale market won't care for it much. (doesn't matter that the OP did absolutely wrong either, the dealer completely screwed him on this one)

This^
I work for insurance.

I handle claims with replacement engines occasionally.

Based on my experience with this matter WE as the insurance company would pay you more for your 2017 with a brand new engine.

This is simply because we would largely expect to receive a greater amount back on salvage.

If OP trashed the car with the new engine within a month I guarantee we get 12k of that 14k back from salvage. Plus whatever the car was worth.

Resale market won't care for it? That's just not true at all.
Sponsored

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I work for insurance.

I handle claims with replacement engines occasionally.

Based on my experience with this matter WE as the insurance company would pay you more for your 2017 with a brand new engine.

This is simply because we would largely expect to receive a greater amount back on salvage.

If OP trashed the car with the new engine within a month I guarantee we get 12k of that 14k back from salvage. Plus whatever the car was worth.

Resale market won't care for it? That's just not true at all.
What something pays out on insurance often has very little to do with what it obtains on the secondary market in cases of damage/major replacement.

Here is an example for you:

Two identical vehicles, same year, mileage, service records.

Car A has nothing but those service records in it's history, car B has a full engine replacement. When buyers run a carfax to potentially consider purchasing a used vehicle, which of the two do you think they are more likely to pay top dollar for?

Even if the backstory for the replacement is good (as the OP's is, it clearly does not show abuse), what do you think potential buyers are going to think about having that large of a replacement completed? You think they are going to view that as a positive? Perception is everything.

Furthermore, a Honda dealer could not even torque a drain plug on properly, so now we should have a ton of confidence in a dealer performing a full on long block replacement? Again, buyers pause over this, and to try argue otherwise is flat out silly.

Any way you slice it, this is bad news for the OP. (Unless he is planning on keeping the car forever, in which case it does not matter)

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
agreed, I would be happy about the new engine but unhappy the dealer made the change

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
What something pays out on insurance often has very little to do with what it obtains on the secondary market in cases of damage/major replacement.

Car A has nothing but those service records in it's history, car B has a full engine replacement. When buyers run a carfax to potentially consider purchasing a used vehicle, which of the two do you think they are more likely to pay top dollar for?

Even if the backstory for the replacement is good (as the OP's is, it clearly does not show abuse), what do you think potential buyers are going to think about having that large of a replacement completed? You think they are going to view that as a positive? Perception is everything.

Furthermore, a Honda dealer could not even torque a drain plug on properly, so now we should have a ton of confidence in a dealer performing a full on long block replacement? Again, buyers pause over this, and to try argue otherwise is flat out silly.

Any way you slice it, this is bad news for the OP. (Unless he is planning on keeping the car forever, in which case it does not matter)
Do you work in insurance and know how claims are paid out?

We pay Actual Cash Value and again everything you said is what we consider including secondary market. And if you assume we're going to give you the worst price than OP will still come out ahead everyday of the week.

Meaning I answered your question - Yes you pay more for the one with a new engine. There is no other way about it. Dealer no dealer Jesus himself installs the engine.

I mean considering that it was literally only an oil drain plug and the WHOLE ENGINE AND TURBO are being replaced... I'd be pretty happy to pay above average value for OPS car and I guarantee he wouldn't have any problems finding anyone to do the same.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
Do you work in insurance and know how claims are paid out?
Extremely well, do you know how the used car market works, specifically in the performance car market?

... I'd be pretty happy to pay above average value for OPS car and I guarantee he wouldn't have any problems finding anyone to do the same.
You are the extreme minority of performance car buyer then. (Seriously)

A huge portion of my life has been spent buying and selling only performance vehicles privately , and I’ve worked in the auto industry for nearly 20 years for a number of brands, you can take what I am saying to the bank. This is a detriment, not a blessing.

The OP may get lucky and this does not hit the carfax (doubtful) or it is possible that he finds a buyer that simply does not care, but that is not where the smart money is. I get everyone wants to soften the blow for this guy, I just figured he needed to hear the truth.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag

Myself and many others will take the one with the new motor every time. Why wouldn't you?

OP
OP
spyder93090

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
FTR, I’m foreseeably keeping this car indefinitely but I do appreciate seeing both sides of the argument on its value as it was something I was considering and completely naive about outside of a strictly consumer perspective.
Sponsored