I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
Long Story Short: Oil drain plug loosened and came off on the highway @ 70mph. Exited the freeway immediately but engine was already knocking by the off-ramp. Dealership concluded it was engine starvation due to likely negligence from the last (Honda) dealership that performed my oil change two weeks prior - drain plug not torqued to spec. The responsible dealership's business insurance covered the long block & turbo replacement ($14k).

What should I know about this new engine? Should I still plan to break it in over 600 miles sub-4k RPM? Anything I should be hyper vigilant about? Waiting to hear from the service manager if he knows if it was a crate engine or a rebuild.

2018 CW FK8 USA (31k miles, 100% stock internally, no tune, purchased new FYI)
Sponsored

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Long Story Short: Oil drain plug loosened and came off on the highway @ 70mph. Exited the freeway immediately but engine was already knocking by the off-ramp. Dealership concluded it was engine starvation due to likely negligence from the last (Honda) dealership that performed my oil change two weeks prior - drain plug not torqued to spec. The responsible dealership's business insurance covered the long block & turbo replacement ($14k).

What should I know about this new engine? Should I still plan to break it in over 600 miles sub-4k RPM? Anything I should be hyper vigilant about? Waiting to hear from the service manager if he knows if it was a crate engine or a rebuild.

2018 CW FK8 USA (31k miles, 100% stock internally, no tune, purchased new FYI)
Gratz on their mess up for your brand new engine! Defs pain in the ass but free new car is free.

I'd break it in exactly same as old engine. Just my 2 cents.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I think you've got the right idea.

Daily checks:
Oil or any fluid leaks
Check oil level and coolant level
Be easy for the first miles to let the rings break in to the cylinders - don't hold it at a single RPM for a very long time
After the first couple weeks I'd start driving it as you intend to.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Gratz on their mess up for your brand new engine! Defs pain in the ass but free new car is free.

I'd break it in exactly same as old engine. Just my 2 cents.
It's not "free new car is free" when it shows on the carfax and you lose resale value, but I digress, you are right.

19typer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
This probably will because it was a warranty repair but just keep your documentation. I would break it in exactly as you did when you bought it

OP
OP
spyder93090

spyder93090

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This probably will because it was a warranty repair but just keep your documentation. I would break it in exactly as you did when you bought it
per my service advisor, this isn’t a warranty repair since it wasn’t a manufacturer’s defect.

apparently it’s a retail repair and because of that, my engine gets an additional 36k/3-year warranty.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It's not "free new car is free" when it shows on the carfax and you lose resale value, but I digress, you are right.
I'm not sure how a BRAND new 14k engine decreases value...

There would be zero decrease to value - maybe even an increase. :)

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Aren't the complete engines destined to be installed in a new car off the assembly line "run-in" prior to being sent to the assembly plant? If so wouldn't there be a different break-in protocol for a long block built in the field to replace a damaged engine in an existing vehicle. Just wondering out loud.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Aren't the complete engines destined to be installed in a new car off the assembly line "run-in" prior to being sent to the assembly plant? If so wouldn't there be a different break-in protocol for a long block built in the field to replace a damaged engine in an existing vehicle. Just wondering out loud.
I assume it would be off the same assembly line in Ohio… if the motors that go into the Type R aren’t broken in from factory, why would the other motors be broken in?

OP
OP
spyder93090

spyder93090

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: Per the service manager, my replacement is a brand new crate engine (not a rebuild).

530 miles to go with <3-mile daily commutes ...

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Imagine that 14K being on your dime for a bad tune....

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
That is not at all how that works. You like the idea of your performance car having major surgery? I can tell you the resale market won't care for it much. (doesn't matter that the OP did absolutely wrong either, the dealer completely screwed him on this one)
It's not "free new car is free" when it shows on the carfax and you lose resale value.
This^
Sponsored