First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have a sport touring hatch with a +6 hondata tune. it was pretty dramatic the difference in power after the tune. i’m wondering if adding a takeda downpipe and a bigger intercooler from PRL or Mishimoto will also result in a dramatic increase in power. also curious to hear if anyone had CEL issues after changing to aftermarket parts. if anyone has any better ideas for next mods for power also open to hearing them. thanks!
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
i have a sport touring hatch with a +6 hondata tune. it was pretty dramatic the difference in power after the tune. i’m wondering if adding a takeda downpipe and a bigger intercooler from PRL or Mishimoto will also result in a dramatic increase in power. also curious to hear if anyone had CEL issues after changing to aftermarket parts. if anyone has any better ideas for next mods for power also open to hearing them. thanks!
The IC you’ll be fine.. the dp you’ll get a check engine light, your secondary o2 sensor, but that can be turned off with hondata

OP
OP
thewestisblue

thewestisblue

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The IC you’ll be fine.. the dp you’ll get a check engine light, your secondary o2 sensor, but that can be turned off with hondata
Thanks Jay. I spoke with another person who said that it won't be a significant change in power with a new downpipe and IC, so it isn't worth the trouble with the codes and/or passing inspection in NYC. What do you think? Did you notice any appreciable gains on the highway? I'm not driving on a track so it would have to be a real world difference

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks Jay. I spoke with another person who said that it won't be a significant change in power with a new downpipe and IC, so it isn't worth the trouble with the codes and/or passing inspection in NYC. What do you think? Did you notice any appreciable gains on the highway? I'm not driving on a track so it would have to be a real world difference
A IC I recommend, even if you don’t track the car if you only do spirited driving or taking the car to some curvy roads the stock IC gets heatsoaked pretty bad after a few hard pulls. If you want to hear your turbo spool and hear the waste gate dump the unneeded boost when You left off the throttle.. PRL CAI highly recommend also. A dp allows the turbo to spoil up faster and more efficiently, but I don’t like the catless sound because it moves it into the raspy side of things (not my personal taste since I have a GReddy exhaust). Does free up some hp and tq though. I would focus more on trying to get the air cooler faster for the engine to make power more efficiently and without losing power because of heat soaking since these engine bays run extremely HOT. Number #1 on my list when I bought the car was a tuning device though and I do not regret it at all. I would look into two step performance and pick up a TSP Stage 1 tune (highly recommend), pair it up with a prl IC and a PRL race CAI... and it’s perfection

OP
OP
thewestisblue

thewestisblue

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool thanks man. I am curious about the intake/ intercooler/ downpipe, but i wouldn't go catless because i don't like the sound and i want to be able to pass emissions.

What is two step performance and TSP stage 1 tune (versus Hondata +6).

My understanding is that these parts (intercooler, downpipe, cold air intake) allow you to tune more aggressively, is that part of it?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cool thanks man. I am curious about the intake/ intercooler/ downpipe, but i wouldn't go catless because i don't like the sound and i want to be able to pass emissions.

What is two step performance and TSP stage 1 tune (versus Hondata +6).

My understanding is that these parts (intercooler, downpipe, cold air intake) allow you to tune more aggressively, is that part of it?
Not too sure about NY emissions, but in Ca we have pretty strict emissions and even a performance catted dp won’t pass emission. Which if we’re being honest half of car mod parts for performance gains aren’t going to pass emissions in Ca ?.
Two step performance TSP Stage 1 tune:
https://www.twostepperformance.com/products/tsp-stage-1-tune-for-2017-honda-civic-non-si
It’s an incredible tune, pulls faster and better than the +6 base tune. I recommend waiting if your going to purchase a PRL race CAI though since it asks what size MAF you are running. I loved it, that is until I went flex fuel, but I remember someone dynoed the TSP tune vs the +6 psi flex fuel tune and the TSP power band came relatively close to it. Which for regular pump gas is pretty incredible, although E85 is still king when it comes to these cars, it just LOVES high octane

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you get an intercooler get it with stock pipes. Larger pipes just add turbo lag on stock turbo. A dp will give you less lag for a more responsive car.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you get an intercooler get it with stock pipes. Larger pipes just add turbo lag on stock turbo. A dp will give you less lag for a more responsive car.
the lag is pretty minimal considering how small our turbos are stock.

FMIC will not add any power but will let you hit your power a longer time before heat robs the car of power.

DP definitely helps but bolt ons aren't adding too much power without it being dialed in with a custom/pro tune.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I definitely recommend an Intercooler. You won’t see a performance gain but as Joshua said, you’ll be able to hold the power a little longer. I added the PRL Intercooler to my CVT civic a few days ago and kept the stock pipes and it runs the same with the exception of the charged air temp. Much cooler and I can actually punch it and hold it much longer than before. For some reason, my knock control is actually much better as well. It doesn’t sky rocket like before. Same tank of gas from before installing the FMIC.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the lag is pretty minimal considering how small our turbos are stock.
When I got my intercooler my turbo lag went from about one second to 2 seconds. When I added my dp the lag went from 2 back to one. I made the mistake in getting an intercooler with aftermarket pipes.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I got my intercooler my turbo lag went from about one second to 2 seconds. When I added my dp the lag went from 2 back to one. I made the mistake in getting an intercooler with aftermarket pipes.
Did you get retuned after the install or are you running a base map/OTS tune.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll add my personal quote from after installing a Depo Racing Intercooler.
"
So I got to the track late and managed to get 3 runs in. As I suspected, my take offs from a dead stop was slower than pre-intercooler. I was hoping to get 2.1? 60ft times. My 60ft times on the dragstrip were in the 2.3 range with a worst of 2.4. I have to work on a way around this to get it back to the 2.1 range. To be continued.

The good news is that my 1/4 mile traps speeds were the fastest they have ever been. Temp was in the 61f-65f range outside. My highest trap speed ever was 100.64mph. With most of all my other 1/4 mile runs in the 97-100mph range. Tonight, I ran a 102.45mph, 102.84mph and 102.49mph. I'm averaging 2.5mph more than I usually run, even when I ran with temps in the 35f-45f range before. This is AWESOME! The car is making power. "

From this thread ---> Post #19

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I'll add my personal quote from after installing a Depo Racing Intercooler.
"
So I got to the track late and managed to get 3 runs in. As I suspected, my take offs from a dead stop was slower than pre-intercooler. I was hoping to get 2.1? 60ft times. My 60ft times on the dragstrip were in the 2.3 range with a worst of 2.4. I have to work on a way around this to get it back to the 2.1 range. To be continued.

The good news is that my 1/4 mile traps speeds were the fastest they have ever been. Temp was in the 61f-65f range outside. My highest trap speed ever was 100.64mph. With most of all my other 1/4 mile runs in the 97-100mph range. Tonight, I ran a 102.45mph, 102.84mph and 102.49mph. I'm averaging 2.5mph more than I usually run, even when I ran with temps in the 35f-45f range before. This is AWESOME! The car is making power. "

From this thread ---> Post #19

What temps are you seeing with that intercooler?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What temps are you seeing with that intercooler?
My intake temps are usually no more than +10f, no matter the weather condition. I've seen the my intake temps be as low as +2f more than ambient while driving on the highway.
Sponsored