BMoney718

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I installed a Sony XAV-AX5000 HU in my 2017 civic sport which led to a bunch of headaches. First issue is my backup camera. The camera functions as intended when I'm in reverse but if I just select backup camera on HU when parked I get "no video signal". Second is the steering wheel controls, but after reading thru threads that seems to be a common problem so I'm not going to attribute that to the HU. Third problem is that my traction control and tire pressure lights are on now after I completed the install which wasn't the case prior. I don't see how they would affect one another but someone else might know better than me. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hopefully, someone can help you with your problems. My only advice is rather drastic.... return the unit, save 50% and buy a navifly M400 and have none of these issues.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As far as the vsa and tpms lights, drive around a bit and see if they go off by themselves. I noticed the same thing installing my HID relay harness.

I haven't looked into a wiring diagram of the backup cam, but logic tells me the backup cam may need a signal to turn on, too. Dunno if the HU provides that signal.

OP
OP
BMoney718

BMoney718

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As far as the vsa and tpms lights, drive around a bit and see if they go off by themselves. I noticed the same thing installing my HID relay harness.

I haven't looked into a wiring diagram of the backup cam, but logic tells me the backup cam may need a signal to turn on, too. Dunno if the HU provides that signal.
Do you think that disconnecting my battery during the install could be the cause?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Back up camera turns on when it’s in reverse if it’s not in reverse it’s not on, hence no signal when not in reverse. Tire pressure just recalibrate and drive around to reprogram it (save it for a long drive I say 15min of driving at least)

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you think that disconnecting my battery during the install could be the cause?
95% sure that is what caused those lights to turn on. Just make sure your battery connections are good and snug and drive around a bit. @jayy_swish kinda confirmed my thought process behind the backup cam

OP
OP
BMoney718

BMoney718

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Back up camera turns on when it’s in reverse if it’s not in reverse it’s not on, hence no signal when not in reverse. Tire pressure just recalibrate and drive around to reprogram it (save it for a long drive I say 15min of driving at least)
have you heard of any workaround to get signal to camera besides in reverse?
95% sure that is what caused those lights to turn on. Just make sure your battery connections are good and snug and drive around a bit. @jayy_swish kinda confirmed my thought process behind the backup cam
Any way to rewire the camera to have constant power that you have heard of?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
have you heard of any workaround to get signal to camera besides in reverse?

Any way to rewire the camera to have constant power that you have heard of?
Find the harness for the radio, with a multimeter see which wire receives power when in reverse, get an extra pair of wire and either:
1. Cut the camera power wired and splice it with something that receives constant power
2. T-tap it with something that receives constant power

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
Find the harness for the radio, with a multimeter see which wire receives power when in reverse, get an extra pair of wire and either:
1. Cut the camera power wired and splice it with something that receives constant power
2. T-tap it with something that receives constant power
DON'T DO THIS.

If the camera isn't designed to be powered all the time don't try to do so. If you do it can lead to premature camera failure because the cameras can overheat and burn out. I don't know if Honda cameras do this but I know Toyotas DO.

Also don't use T-Taps. Ever. They're trashy and lead to bad connections.

Second is the steering wheel controls, but after reading thru threads that seems to be a common problem so I'm not going to attribute that to the HU.
To retain the SWC you need a module for it. It's a simple enough install normally but Hondas can be tricky depending on the trim level sometimes requiring going into the steering column to grab the analog button wires.

Also, final note. if you don't ground the BIT1 wire for the camera control the image will default back to the fisheye mode as that's the cameras natural state. Not the end of the world, just annoying.

And just my .02, return the Sony and buy a decent brand head unit. I've seen countless short and long term failures to the point I actively try to talk customers out of them.

OP
OP
BMoney718

BMoney718

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
DON'T DO THIS.

If the camera isn't designed to be powered all the time don't try to do so. If you do it can lead to premature camera failure because the cameras can overheat and burn out. I don't know if Honda cameras do this but I know Toyotas DO.

Also don't use T-Taps. Ever. They're trashy and lead to bad connections.

To retain the SWC you need a module for it. It's a simple enough install normally but Hondas can be tricky depending on the trim level sometimes requiring going into the steering column to grab the analog button wires.

Also, final note. if you don't ground the BIT1 wire for the camera control the image will default back to the fisheye mode as that's the cameras natural state. Not the end of the world, just annoying.

And just my .02, return the Sony and buy a decent brand head unit. I've seen countless short and long term failures to the point I actively try to talk customers out of them.
how do i go about grounding bit1?