new here. new car soon

CIVicALIZED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda NC750X DCT motorcycle. 2016 Honda Civic EX-HS MSM
Country flag
hello everyone. been reading here the last few weeks.

in the market for a new car. Been researching since end of May. Been looking at many cars and brands. I at first considered Nissan Micra. Ford Fiesta. Chevrolet Spark, Sonic, Cruze. Settled on the Honda Fit for a little while.

thru my research i came to realize that one thing i do not want is a car that has GDI (direct injection)
I plan to keep the car for a while so that narrowed my choices alot.

My last 3 selections were btwn the Honda Civic. Toyota Corolla and Mazda 3. But the Mazda is out due to GDI. Toyota is boring and ancient even with the revamped 2016.

So with the Civic the only choice is the 2.0 engine so the max level i can go is to the EX HS.
That is pretty much where i am now. I am now researching dealers to find the best one both with sales and service. Got pricing from just about every dealer in the area.

Was scary for a bit reading about the big recall for the circlip on piston. Almost decided to abandon Honda because of that.

The next couple of weeks i will settle on a dealer and work out some pricing. Pretty sure i am going to get the EX-HS in MSM. Went out on a test drive last week and loved it. In April i got a new 2016 Honda NC750X DCT motorcycle so be nice to stay with Honda.

On one level i love the tech of the EX HS but part of me is leary of the new tech. More gizmos to break and maintain. I have not seen many reports of it but have there been any false positives for the collision mitigation system? Like will the car decide it has to stop NOW even tho there is no reason to?

love the blind spot and back up cameras. Going to take the car out again on a couple more test drives for longer and get a feel for the HS stuff. Watched a you tube of it in action and it was pretty darn cool. Maintaining cruise control speed and safe follow distance while going around a bend on the hwy at 70mph with no hands on steering wheel. too cool !!

well back to my reading. will post pix when i get the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

CIVicALIZED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
thanks. so exciting to get a new car.

something else i forgot to ask. The Lane keeping assistant. What happens if you have to make an emergency maneuver like having to swerve suddenly to miss an object on the road.
Will you have to fight the lane keeping system to move out of the lane? (without signaling) Will lane keeping make this quick change impossibly hard by making steering response slow
and force you to stay in the lane?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks. so exciting to get a new car.

something else i forgot to ask. The Lane keeping assistant. What happens if you have to make an emergency maneuver like having to swerve suddenly to miss an object on the road.
Will you have to fight the lane keeping system to move out of the lane? (without signaling) Will lane keeping make this quick change impossibly hard by making steering response slow
and force you to stay in the lane?
No, not at all. You can easily override when it shakes the wheel and tries to tug you back into the lane without much force, and with an emergency maneuver it probably won't react quick enough to intervene.

jbender4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G35
hello everyone. been reading here the last few weeks.

in the market for a new car. Been researching since end of May. Been looking at many cars and brands. I at first considered Nissan Micra. Ford Fiesta. Chevrolet Spark, Sonic, Cruze. Settled on the Honda Fit for a little while.

thru my research i came to realize that one thing i do not want is a car that has GDI (direct injection)
I plan to keep the car for a while so that narrowed my choices alot.

My last 3 selections were btwn the Honda Civic. Toyota Corolla and Mazda 3. But the Mazda is out due to GDI. Toyota is boring and ancient even with the revamped 2016.

So with the Civic the only choice is the 2.0 engine so the max level i can go is to the EX HS.
That is pretty much where i am now. I am now researching dealers to find the best one both with sales and service. Got pricing from just about every dealer in the area.

Was scary for a bit reading about the big recall for the circlip on piston. Almost decided to abandon Honda because of that.

The next couple of weeks i will settle on a dealer and work out some pricing. Pretty sure i am going to get the EX-HS in MSM. Went out on a test drive last week and loved it. In April i got a new 2016 Honda NC750X DCT motorcycle so be nice to stay with Honda.

On one level i love the tech of the EX HS but part of me is leary of the new tech. More gizmos to break and maintain. I have not seen many reports of it but have there been any false positives for the collision mitigation system? Like will the car decide it has to stop NOW even tho there is no reason to?

love the blind spot and back up cameras. Going to take the car out again on a couple more test drives for longer and get a feel for the HS stuff. Watched a you tube of it in action and it was pretty darn cool. Maintaining cruise control speed and safe follow distance while going around a bend on the hwy at 70mph with no hands on steering wheel. too cool !!

well back to my reading. will post pix when i get the car.

May I asked what was your reasoning to avoid GDI?

OP
OP

CIVicALIZED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
May I asked what was your reasoning to avoid GDI?
a google search for GDI carbon will answer... some quotes

"And a big one has to do with carbon deposits. We’ve heard rumblings that blackened buildup on the backsides of intake valves is a major problem and something that could be disastrous for motorists in the coming years"
“One of the biggest problems with direct injection is that the fuel is no longer being sprayed onto the backside of the intake valves,”

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/ask-an-engineer-gdi-problems-in-a-nutshell/

If you trade for a new car every 2 or 3 years it will be no issue for you. But if you keep car longer or buy used it could be a big problem. Port injection sprays detergent gas onto the backsides of the intake valves keeping them clean.
GDI does not. May be it is a non issue sky is falling thing but i am not taking a chance with it.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

"And a big one has to do with carbon deposits. We’ve heard rumblings that blackened buildup on the backsides of intake valves is a major problem and something that could be disastrous for motorists in the coming years"
“One of the biggest problems with direct injection is that the fuel is no longer being sprayed onto the backside of the intake valves,”

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/05/ask-an-engineer-gdi-problems-in-a-nutshell/

If you trade for a new car every 2 or 3 years it will be no issue for you. But if you keep car longer or buy used it could be a big problem. Port injection sprays detergent gas onto the backsides of the intake valves keeping them clean.
GDI does not. May be it is a non issue sky is falling thing but i am not taking a chance with it.
I'm not an expert, but I think this was a valid point with engines a few years ago when DI was just becoming widespread. While there's no evidence to say that Honda has mitigated the issue, they've been one of the latest car makers to adopt DI, so their design *may* have worked around the carbon buildup issue.

If you check the driveaccord forums, people with 3+ years and 100k+ miles on their Accords have not reported any issues.

jbender4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti G35

Yes, I have seen these articles. I'm in the same boat, need to get a new car soon and I tend to keep them for a long time. So I'm looking for assurance with reliability. I'm leaning toward the EX because I believe this is engine been around since 2001 verses the new turbo.

OP
OP

CIVicALIZED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well....

I put down a deposit on a 2016 MSM Civic EX-HS today. Pick it up in a few weeks. Did not have it in stock. Are bringing one in for me. One of the conditions i put on the
sale is that the manufacture date cannot be between November 2015 to February 2016 ( the recall range for the engine) Should be ok. Most of the other EX HS they had were
made from May onward (only had white and black in stock). I took the white one out on a nice test drive. Will post pix on NCD (New Car Day)
Sponsored