thill123919

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Hi! Brand new to this forum so wanted to introduce myself quickly. My name is Taylor and I'm from the Salt Lake City area in Utah. About a month ago, I traded in my blue 2016 Touring Coupe for a pearl white 2019 Touring Sedan. So far I am loving it. The 2019 refresh basically addressed the minor problems I had with my 2016, so in my mind it's like the perfect car. My favorite things about the 2019 are definitely the 18" rims from the Si, the new black grille on the front looks so much better than the old chrome, chrome trim around the fog lights, not nearly as much black plastic on the front or rear bumper. I also love the volume know and fan controls being physical rather than on the touchscreen interface. This one also has HomeLink built into the rearview mirror and my last didn't, love that as well.

Anyways, have just about 1,300 miles on it now and haven't done much to it yet. I did get ceramic tint installed all around - 20% in the rear and 35% in the front (darkest as legally allowed in our state). I also have clear bra installed all over - entire front bumper, headlights, entire hood, both front fenders, side view mirrors, door jams, door edge guards, below the trunk opening on the rear, and behind the door handles. Don't ask how much that cost... haha.

My one main concern / complaint about the 2019 is the driver's seat. Since the first day I bought it (bought with 2 miles on the odo. btw) it has gotten these dents / stretched looking leather in the driver's seat. I didn't think much of it at first, but it's been driving me insane. On my 2016 touring, that never happened even up until the point when I traded it in with about 37k miles. The other thing is that this seat kills my lower back. After maybe 10 minutes of driving it hurts so bad, I also never experienced this in my 2016. I'm at a loss here and not quite sure what to do. Something to take back to the dealer and complain about? It's almost as if they didn't put enough padding in the seat in the factory. Can't decide what to do, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Here are some photos:
New 2019 in front of my old 2016 at the dealer.
Honda Civic 10th gen New Here - Introduction and Question IMG_5275

Driver's seat with the issue...
Honda Civic 10th gen New Here - Introduction and Question IMG_5613

GKCB

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Hi! Brand new to this forum so wanted to introduce myself quickly. My name is Taylor and I'm from the Salt Lake City area in Utah. About a month ago, I traded in my blue 2016 Touring Coupe for a pearl white 2019 Touring Sedan. So far I am loving it. The 2019 refresh basically addressed the minor problems I had with my 2016, so in my mind it's like the perfect car. My favorite things about the 2019 are definitely the 18" rims from the Si, the new black grille on the front looks so much better than the old chrome, chrome trim around the fog lights, not nearly as much black plastic on the front or rear bumper. I also love the volume know and fan controls being physical rather than on the touchscreen interface. This one also has HomeLink built into the rearview mirror and my last didn't, love that as well.

Anyways, have just about 1,300 miles on it now and haven't done much to it yet. I did get ceramic tint installed all around - 20% in the rear and 35% in the front (darkest as legally allowed in our state). I also have clear bra installed all over - entire front bumper, headlights, entire hood, both front fenders, side view mirrors, door jams, door edge guards, below the trunk opening on the rear, and behind the door handles. Don't ask how much that cost... haha.

My one main concern / complaint about the 2019 is the driver's seat. Since the first day I bought it (bought with 2 miles on the odo. btw) it has gotten these dents / stretched looking leather in the driver's seat. I didn't think much of it at first, but it's been driving me insane. On my 2016 touring, that never happened even up until the point when I traded it in with about 37k miles. The other thing is that this seat kills my lower back. After maybe 10 minutes of driving it hurts so bad, I also never experienced this in my 2016. I'm at a loss here and not quite sure what to do. Something to take back to the dealer and complain about? It's almost as if they didn't put enough padding in the seat in the factory. Can't decide what to do, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Here are some photos:
New 2019 in front of my old 2016 at the dealer.
IMG_5275.jpg

Driver's seat with the issue...
IMG_5613.jpg
Yup welcome to the cold weather and leather seats. I’m new to the civic si club but all my Bmw’s did the same think. I agree it’s bs and drove me nuts as well. My guess is they used a better more pliable leather than you previous car and if it’s a softer compound that’s exactly what happens. That’s just my experience anyways.

I’m super confused though... how did you get leather on your SI? In Canada leather is not an option.

Interesting comment on the lower back complaint. I test drive one for 20 minutes and found my lower back was sore. I never thought much about it but hearing you bring it up, I wonder.

Geez it’s hard on this forum. So many complaints about this car. I’m supposed to sign my paperwork on Tuesday but now I need to put more thought into it. Looks like I need to ask more questions about some outstanding issues and drive it again and for much longer.

I hope you figure out a resolution :)

Greg

OP
OP
thill123919

thill123919

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Yup welcome to the cold weather and leather seats. I’m new to the civic si club but all my Bmw’s did the same think. I agree it’s bs and drove me nuts as well. My guess is they used a better more pliable leather than you previous car and if it’s a softer compound that’s exactly what happens. That’s just my experience anyways.

I’m super confused though... how did you get leather on your SI? In Canada leather is not an option.

Interesting comment on the lower back complaint. I test drive one for 20 minutes and found my lower back was sore. I never thought much about it but hearing you bring it up, I wonder.

Geez it’s hard on this forum. So many complaints about this car. I’m supposed to sign my paperwork on Tuesday but now I need to put more thought into it. Looks like I need to ask more questions about some outstanding issues and drive it again and for much longer.

I hope you figure out a resolution :)

Greg
Greg - thanks for the input. I used to have an old 3 series and the leather on that even at 135k miles always looked great... could be the cold weather and that's a good point about it potentially being a different kind of leather from the previous car.

And I should clarify - I don't have the Si, I have the touring, but instead of the 18" rims on previous touring models, the 2019 touring has the same 18" rims from the Si. The new Sport trim also has these 18" rims, but they are all black whereas the Touring ones are silver with dark grey. I like them a lot.

And also I have almost no complaints about this car other than what I mentioned, which is fairly minor and I'm sure there's a fairly simple fix. I did a lot of research before I bought this and I am still very happy with my decision, wouldn't have gone with anything else. I'd still sign the paperwork and get it if I were you :)

OP
OP
thill123919

thill123919

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Greeting from Farmington :) that's from Performance Bountiful right?
Yes it is! They've always treated me well here - get all my service done here and feel like I got a pretty good deal as well. No complaints. Where did you buy yours?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
That’s news to me. I’ve owned mine for about a year and other than the crap armrests and thin Honda paint, I have zero complaints with my Si. In fact it’s the best car I’ve ever driven in. Also seats are super comfortable for me, and I have a bad back

GKCB

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
That’s news to me. I’ve owned mine for about a year and other than the crap armrests and thin Honda paint, I have zero complaints with my Si. In fact it’s the best car I’ve ever driven in. Also seats are super comfortable for me, and I have a bad back
Sweet. That’s great to hear. I think I was getting caught up with the rear suspension clinking and fuel appearing in the oil lol.

It’s so hard when you’ve never owned an si and filter out the overly dramatic threads from the good old honest truth.

GKCB

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Yeah I’ve found any white car with metallic flake is thin and seems to flake off lol. I’m pumped that someone with a bad back can claim comfort. Did you ppf it or just leave it?

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sweet. That’s great to hear. I think I was getting caught up with the rear suspension clinking and fuel appearing in the oil lol.

It’s so hard when you’ve never owned an si and filter out the overly dramatic threads from the good old honest truth.
Ah but to be honest, I don't ever drive mine in the winter or too cold. But those 2 issues have been well documented for many civics, not just si. The oil dilution problem may just have a fix out by now, but the rear suspension clunking in cold looks not to have been remedied as yet judging by the comments. BTW i've never encountered neither of those problems

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I’ve found any white car with metallic flake is thin and seems to flake off lol. I’m pumped that someone with a bad back can claim comfort. Did you ppf it or just leave it?
I PPF my hood and door sills. The entire car including the hood has also been Ceramic Pro'd. Although I may try to have some more PPF coverage on other areas of the car. Just gotta see if it can be applied over my existing Ceramic Pro.
And my back is pretty bad, just not as bad as some others and I don't take any pain meds. Landed on my head years ago and slipped a disc last year. But the seats are like I said, super comfortable for me, although i've never taken a trip over a couple hours in them though

GKCB

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
I PPF my hood and door sills. The entire car including the hood has also been Ceramic Pro'd. Although I may try to have some more PPF coverage on other areas of the car. Just gotta see if it can be applied over my existing Ceramic Pro.
And my back is pretty bad, just not as bad as some others and I don't take any pain meds. Landed on my head years ago and slipped a disc last year. But the seats are like I said, super comfortable for me, although i've never taken a trip over a couple hours in them though
So with all that ppf are you still dealing with other problem areas? If so where. Usually if the entire front is done the paint is well protected.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm getting paint chips for no apparent reason on my doors and one on my A pillar. The car is always parked alone, garaged at home and work and not been on the highway as yet. No paint chipping anywhere else, but we'll see what comes this season

GKCB

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
I'm getting paint chips for no apparent reason on my doors and one on my A pillar. The car is always parked alone, garaged at home and work and not been on the highway as yet. No paint chipping anywhere else, but we'll see what comes this season
That’s brutal. What color do you have. Please don’t say platinum white pearl.
Sponsored