First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
  • Banned
My first post here, been lurking for awhile, just picked up a 2018 Civic Si Coupe, like it a lot, the most surprising thing about the car is the highway mileage, the trip meter is telling me 51 MPG on the highway, is this real? Thanks.
Sponsored

Deleted member

Yep it's real- the Si is fantastically economical. It's the perfect combination of fun to drive factor and practicality. :drive:

OP
OP

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
  • Banned
Ty, aside from the incredible highway gas mileage, the other thing I was very impressed with was the ride comfort, very smooth and quiet for a compact. Great suspension and not too much road noise, well insulated. Very impressed with this car.

SiTurbo269

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
My first post here, been lurking for awhile, just picked up a 2018 Civic Si Coupe, like it a lot, the most surprising thing about the car is the highway mileage, the trip meter is telling me 51 MPG on the highway, is this real? Thanks.
I been lurking awhile too, I pick up my 18 si coupe tomorrow

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Welcome to the both of you:thumbsup:

Christo69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI Sedan, 17 Lexus NX 200T
Country flag
I may end up answering my own question but, can someone please help me understand why I'm only getting 34MPG? My driving habits are as follows: I like to drive my car, not like I stole it, but definitely spirited. Highway speeds here are around 65-80, I'm mostly in the 70's to 80's, RPM's around 3K, I live at altitude (7000ft), and I use 91 octane routinely. I'm probably on the highway 75% of the time and hardly ever in stop and go traffic. Starting from a stop, I usually shift at between 3K and 4.5K rpm in gears 1-5, 5th to 6th is always less than 3K RPM. This car was built to be fun to drive and I take advantage of that feature. ;) I've tried to slow down on the highway to see if that makes a difference but most traffic is hauling a$$ and I don't want to be "that guy". Lastly, my daily drive to work is a 1000ft drop in altitude and, OFC, the trip home is back uphill.

I just want make sure that my MPG is most likely based on my driving habits/altitude and not related to any issues with the car.

TIA

hondadroid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t , 2015 dodge ram
Hey I'm from Canada so I measure fuel consumption in liters per 100kms of driving. I have a 2017 si coupe . This is my 4th tank of gas and this tank I am averaging 5.6 liters per 100kms. Amazing. I came from a 2016 civic ex-t. And on that car I usually got about 5.3 liters per 100kms. So for being a si this is amazing fuel mileage

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I may end up answering my own question but, can someone please help me understand why I'm only getting 34MPG? My driving habits are as follows: I like to drive my car, not like I stole it, but definitely spirited. Highway speeds here are around 65-80, I'm mostly in the 70's to 80's, RPM's around 3K, I live at altitude (7000ft), and I use 91 octane routinely. I'm probably on the highway 75% of the time and hardly ever in stop and go traffic. Starting from a stop, I usually shift at between 3K and 4.5K rpm in gears 1-5, 5th to 6th is always less than 3K RPM. This car was built to be fun to drive and I take advantage of that feature. ;) I've tried to slow down on the highway to see if that makes a difference but most traffic is hauling a$$ and I don't want to be "that guy". Lastly, my daily drive to work is a 1000ft drop in altitude and, OFC, the trip home is back uphill.

I just want make sure that my MPG is most likely based on my driving habits/altitude and not related to any issues with the car.

TIA
That sounds about right I averaging anywhere from 38-42 mpg on Hills, going about the same speed, but my altitude is a lot lower. What is your tire PSI at?

Christo69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI Sedan, 17 Lexus NX 200T
Country flag
That sounds about right I averaging anywhere from 38-42 mpg on Hills, going about the same speed, but my altitude is a lot lower. What is your tire PSI at?
Checked Pressure about a week ago and it was 33-34 all the way around.

hashsi99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Checked Pressure about a week ago and it was 33-34 all the way around.
My overall (2 tanks) is 34.8. The 41.5 was just one trip and I was hypermiling.

So we are about the same. I think its pretty good.

DoodleDave

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

TIA
I usually speed to my cruising speed when I drive mine. Then I throw it in Cruise Control. I don't drive over 75 mph. I honestly don't see the point if the speed limit doesn't go up to 80. Generally doing this I can average around 38 to 40 mpg. But generally NC is pretty slow unless you live in a major city so the speed limit almost everywhere is 55. I go a safe 7 miles over and usually get 42 mpg. In the city (if i am spirited driving I don't do this) I don't generally wait until 3000 rpm to shift. I'll shift at like 2200. City is weird sometimes I get 28 mpg other times 35. Really depends on how spirited I am and traffic. In my opinion try not to shift at such high RPM's IF you are trying to conserve MPG's.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

TIA
I bought mine in June of 2017. On the drive home I was getting 48 MPG. It was a very long highway downhill section back to my house. After that it settled in the 36-38 MPG, but as soon as winter hit I immediately fell to 34 at best. It's been getting warmer here lately and my MPG has cropped back up to 36. My lower mileage is due to letting it warm up longer before taking off when it's really cold, and as well all know, as you sit there to let it warm up you are getting 0 MPG.

Another neat trick to increasing your MPG with newer cars is to downshift and coast for as long as possible. The injectors shut off and do not spray any fuel into the cylinders as being in gear and moving is keeping the engine rotating. Essentially just making the engine an air pump. Sucking air in and pumping it out. Once you hit a low enough rpm or you push in the clutch, the injectors start spraying again as energy is needed to rotate the engine. A fun way to test this is to listen to the injector clicks. Drive close to a wall or building and stop and listen to the injectors ticking away. Take off in first and then engine brake. You'll hear the clicking stop when you let off the gas pedal. Then, push in the clutch and magic ticks reappear.

You'll see a tad bit more MPG using this method.

OP
OP

aldo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
my overall mpg is 35 but i was testing out the cruise control, set it at 60 MPH and drove on the highway for 20 miles and the MPG just kept climbing to 51 MPG. I live in Ohio and its flat as a pancake, the highways are pretty smooth as well. So this was a test, not normal driving, but for long halls this car is going to get extremely good gas mileage, very pleasantly surprised.
Sponsored