Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
As most of you know our stock clutch doesn't hold much added power. Some get lucky and it lasts for a while, but mine did not. Went with the FX400 and lightweight flywheel. Pretty happy with it. Obviously keeping it under 3500 rpm and no WOT for the break in is a bummer. I'm not the most patient person but this is a must from what I've heard. The clutch grabs hard but is not as hard to drive as I thought it might be. It's the 8 puck sprung disc. There is definitely a new feel to it, and taking off in first from a dead stop will take some getting used to but it doesn't seem to be an issue. Seems like I will have to relearn the pedal feel for rev matching as well as the lighter flywheel accelerates at a much higher rate, it is far more sensitive now. I will do another review after breaking it in, but so far I definitely recommend this to anybody looking for a more powerful clutch kit and does not have the money or availability to get the retrofit.
Sponsored

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Interested in hearing how this works out. CTR retro is a bit steep for me, but if I'm investing in a new clutch I only want to do it once, so I'll go for quality.

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
Did the work yourself? I hope it holds up for you. I had a fx350 with the stock flywheel and It was ok. What really made me upset was as soon as I got 30000 miles it started slipping. It's not my idea of fun changing the clutch every 30000 miles so I'm staying away from Clutchmasters.

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Did the work yourself? I hope it holds up for you. I had a fx350 with the stock flywheel and It was ok. What really made me upset was as soon as I got 30000 miles it started slipping. It's not my idea of fun changing the clutch every 30000 miles so I'm staying away from Clutchmasters.
No I had a family member install it for me. I wanted an ACT organic disc but it was 2 weeks out from being available to the best of my knowledge and I needed my car back asap. I took a risk going this route but so far so good. I'm definitely hoping mine lasts more than 30K. Good or bad, i'll throw up an update down the road.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i also had a fx350 that burned out after 35/40k miles. A lot of highway miles no launching or track time. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone with the fx400 saying this but I know a bunch with the 350 who burned out. Maybe the fx400 will actually last :hmm:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
FX400 will last about as much or less than an FX350. These clutches are aggressive and are intended for performance not longevity. It's like that old expression: Fast, Cheap, Reliable, you only get two. You can be Fast and Reliable, but it won't be cheap, or you can be Cheap and Fast, but won't be reliable.

methan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan - MSM
Country flag
Hey everyone - Not to thread-jack but just looking for some advice. My FX350 with 25,000 on it is slipping a bit in 6th when resuming speed in cruise control (even just a few mph). It was pretty "grabby" in 1st from a stop, and would bang/clunk hard when reengaging from a walking speed. I actually had a new motor-mount put in under warranty to try and quiet things down. Mods are Vit-Tuned Stage 1 (25psi in Sport mode). I rarely beat on it as I'm worried about making it worse.

From your posts, it looks like these start to slip after ~30k (which I didn't know when I had it installed!). - Any other clutch recommendations that can hold some extra power and be decent for every day driving? Should I just drive it to failure? (What did you guys do?)

Travon151

First Name
Travon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Hey everyone - Not to thread-jack but just looking for some advice. My FX350 with 25,000 on it is slipping a bit in 6th when resuming speed in cruise control (even just a few mph). It was pretty "grabby" in 1st from a stop, and would bang/clunk hard when reengaging from a walking speed. I actually had a new motor-mount put in under warranty to try and quiet things down. Mods are Vit-Tuned Stage 1 (25psi in Sport mode). I rarely beat on it as I'm worried about making it worse.

From your posts, it looks like these start to slip after ~30k (which I didn't know when I had it installed!). - Any other clutch recommendations that can hold some extra power and be decent for every day driving? Should I just drive it to failure? (What did you guys do?)
Hey I was wondering did u ever find a clutch that worked for u??

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I also have an FX350, and recently refreshed it. I had about 30K miles, but didn't replace it for that. I lost 4th gear, so while I had the tranny out, thought it would be a good time to freshen things up on the clutch. As it turns out, the clutch disc didn't look worn as much as I thought when comparing to the new disc. I should have left it alone until it started to go on its own. You have to replace the pressure plate, disc, steel inserts if running aluminum flywheel like I am, and bearing to refresh it. Pretty much everything except the flywheel. The refreshed parts cost me $500 and were delivered in a couple of days. I race my car and daily drive it. I drive 120mi round trip every day, so the wear on the clutch has gone beyond my expectations. Difficult to daily this setup, but really shines when launching at autocross. This is where the FX350 works well, and I'm sure the FX400 will make sense, not necessarily on the street, where it's really a pain in the ass.

Given current supply issues with other companies, Clutch Masters said they usually have everything in stock to support these kits, and they are reasonably priced. No brainer for me. As for issues people are having, installation is a big variable as-is how the car is driven. Hard to validate those two things if people are relying on other people to install it for them and nobody can verify how it's broken in and how it's driven. I took about 500mi to break in the first one, and about 1000mi to break in the second one, and it engages smooth when you rev it up to about 2k and slip it. It launches very smooth and very repeatable with heat in it. Break it in very easy for several miles and gradually add heat. It has to bed in before banging on it. After my break in period, I drive the car aggressively and don't ever think about the clutch not being there. I run the car up to 120 and over 140 occasionally, and no slipping. I am also on stage 2, so I think I am putting a good load on this clutch. It's been a great product for me and has great support. I also do all my own work, so I can account for how it's being installed.

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I also have an FX350, and recently refreshed it. I had about 30K miles, but didn't replace it for that. I lost 4th gear, so while I had the tranny out, thought it would be a good time to freshen things up on the clutch. As it turns out, the clutch disc didn't look worn as much as I thought when comparing to the new disc. I should have left it alone until it started to go on its own. You have to replace the pressure plate, disc, steel inserts if running aluminum flywheel like I am, and bearing to refresh it. Pretty much everything except the flywheel. The refreshed parts cost me $500 and were delivered in a couple of days. I race my car and daily drive it. I drive 120mi round trip every day, so the wear on the clutch has gone beyond my expectations. Difficult to daily this setup, but really shines when launching at autocross. This is where the FX350 works well, and I'm sure the FX400 will make sense, not necessarily on the street, where it's really a pain in the ass.

Given current supply issues with other companies, Clutch Masters said they usually have everything in stock to support these kits, and they are reasonably priced. No brainer for me. As for issues people are having, installation is a big variable as-is how the car is driven. Hard to validate those two things if people are relying on other people to install it for them and nobody can verify how it's broken in and how it's driven. I took about 500mi to break in the first one, and about 1000mi to break in the second one, and it engages smooth when you rev it up to about 2k and slip it. It launches very smooth and very repeatable with heat in it. Break it in very easy for several miles and gradually add heat. It has to bed in before banging on it. After my break in period, I drive the car aggressively and don't ever think about the clutch not being there. I run the car up to 120 and over 140 occasionally, and no slipping. I am also on stage 2, so I think I am putting a good load on this clutch. It's been a great product for me and has great support. I also do all my own work, so I can account for how it's being installed.
Well now im nervous bout my clutch install hahah.
Crossing fingers i get used to it quickly. Because clutches are expensive as hell

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Over 50k on stock clutch with TSP Stage 1 plus. Given the results here, I'll probably just get a stock replacement or CTR retrofit when the time comes to replace mine. A 30k life on an aftermarket clutch sounds nuts to me. My 2002 WRX with 300awhp put over 80k on a Exedy Organic clutch.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
A lot of the longevity depends on your driving style and how you manage takeoffs. I normally slip my clutch just above idle and hold it for a second until I start to move, then release it all the way. It has a little chatter this way, but is better than a high rpm takeoff. The cars around me won't understand why I have to rev so high to get a smooth takeoff and sometimes the tires spin a little. A bit too aggressive for around town, but necessary at times. When I have to really get moving because I was playing on my phone at a light, I'll just rev it up and slip the clutch more aggressively and rely on traction control to get me going. I don't mind dealing with this setup, but a few people have driven my car and they say it's difficult to drive. Whatever. It does so well on the track, I'll just deal with the harshness on the street.
Sponsored