New FK8 Owner requesting seasoned advice about modding!

Pracis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R
Country flag
Good Morning!

I'm looking for advice/experience on things that the TypeR needs. I daily drive mine about 60 miles a day in LA County. I'm not really looking for performance upgrades (although I can't say that I'm not against smooth sounds) but essentially things that you veterans feel provide the best experience. So far I've read about some owners having heatsoak issues. So I've been looking at radiators, intercoolers, etc.

My concern is that once I jump into this rabbit hole per say, there's no going back. So.. what do you think our beloved cars need to be "perfect"?

Thanks for any responses!
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Honestly, I thought I'd want to mod it - then I got it - and love it how it sits. Maybe upgrade the speakers and tint? The more you mod the more you will encounter heat issues - stock it's not as bad as people say - unless you push it hard / continuously on the track.

OP
OP

Pracis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R
Country flag
Honestly, I thought I'd want to mod it - then I got it - and love it how it sits. Maybe upgrade the speakers and tint? The more you mod the more you will encounter heat issues - stock it's not as bad as people say - unless you push it hard / continuously on the track.
That really does seem the case. I not gonna track the car. Maybe some spirited driving on occasion but really that's it. Man I guess I am in mid life crisis..

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
No significant mods needed. As a daily driver it's 98% perfect. I have added a catch can, personal preference, a few minor cosmetic items, stone guards to protect the paint. Relax and enjoy the great day-to-day driving experience, as-is..

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
That really does seem the case. I not gonna track the car. Maybe some spirited driving on occasion but really that's it. Man I guess I am in mid life crisis..
I modded so many cars over the years, but only to address an issue. 2008 STi - horrible tune from factory / borderline dangerous. 2014 EVO X MR - Modded due to stumble at ~5-6k RPM's under load. Etc..

This car? Pulls hard all the way to redline, and just feels balanced as it sits. Traction is already an issue, so if you add power 2nd gear becomes even more of a challenge to keep things going. Dunno - it just feels ideal as it sits. I even thought I'd want to change out the exhaust but really like it. Is it winning awe from my fellow drivers? No, but I think it sounds badass and I guess that's all that really matters.

Drive for a bit, then see what YOU want to change. But I can't imagine driving this for a bit, really pushing it, and going 'Man I wish this thing had XYZ'. Frankly this is one of the best out of the box cars I've ever owned or driven.

Boring on your bank account due to lack of impetus to start buying a bunch of stuff for the car - but fun because you can just enjoy the car without pushing it going 'Man I can't wait until I tune it to fix this thing that annoys me then this thing will really be fun!'

Fun out of the box = Type R

OP
OP

Pracis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R
Country flag
I modded so many cars over the years, but only to address an issue. 2008 STi - horrible tune from factory / borderline dangerous. 2014 EVO X MR - Modded due to stumble at ~5-6k RPM's under load. Etc..

This car? Pulls hard all the way to redline, and just feels balanced as it sits. Traction is already an issue, so if you add power 2nd gear becomes even more of a challenge to keep things going. Dunno - it just feels ideal as it sits. I even thought I'd want to change out the exhaust but really like it. Is it winning awe from my fellow drivers? No, but I think it sounds badass and I guess that's all that really matters.

Drive for a bit, then see what YOU want to change. But I can't imagine driving this for a bit, really pushing it, and going 'Man I wish this thing had XYZ'. Frankly this is one of the best out of the box cars I've ever owned or driven.

Boring on your bank account due to lack of impetus to start buying a bunch of stuff for the car - but fun because you can just enjoy the car without pushing it going 'Man I can't wait until I tune it to fix this thing that annoys me then this thing will really be fun!'

Fun out of the box = Type R
I like the way you think.. :) I really do!

So far.. I share ya'll sentiments. Technically I haven't even driven the car yet. I'm still in the break in period. I can't wait to hear VTEC once more! I'm going to be using the stock rims so I am definitely going to be switching out the tires soonish.

Thanks for all the responses!

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If I were to get one thing for this car, it would be an intercooler. No matter how you feel about your current power level, the intercooler is insufficient even at stock. It's tiny. Even just driving it around town it will prove to be insufficient. Other cooling mods like a radiator or oil cooler are overkill for streeting, but an intercooler is most definitely not.

Our ECUs pull power after even 100F intake temps, especially so on the stock tune. You will lose power up top significantly, especially in California weather and LA traffic. For me in Florida I'll start heatsoaking after ambients pass 76F or so unless I get on the highway.

So, if you like everything about the car, adding an intercooler will only prolong how long it stays fun on your drives, and it shouldn't affect any emissions laws or require a tune.

For the same reasons, adding an intake like PRL's high volume intake will increase power longevity due to the IAT2 boost compensation table. Our ECU takes into account both the pre and post intercooler temperatures for boost reduction. However, this is a very obvious mod and may not work for you in Cali. But damn does it sound good..

JESFromASC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2015 Silverado, 2007 Rabbit
Country flag
DON'T
Well, except for going to 18" wheels and tires.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I would keep it simple too. A drop in K&N with the PRL intake tube is the cheapest power you will find on the FK8. Living in a warm climate the PRL intercooler would definitely be a great addition to keep the car running well in the heat. Finally I went with some 18X9.5" lightweight Rays Volk TE37SL's because I have always loved those iconic wheels. Lost a bunch of rotational weight and also gained A HUGE AMOUNT of traction.....something you will find a significant lack of! I went with 265-35-18's Bridgestone RE71R's. I am 100% happy with the car now! :thumbsup: I added a JLT oil separator to keep the intake tract and intake valves free of oil since I plan on keeping the FK8 for a long time!

Honda Civic 10th gen New FK8 Owner requesting seasoned advice about modding! 5DD4B84E-CA58-4D41-977C-70E9273D17C7

Honda Civic 10th gen New FK8 Owner requesting seasoned advice about modding! 7ECF6D05-C717-4C69-AB40-3D40B02DB12C

Honda Civic 10th gen New FK8 Owner requesting seasoned advice about modding! D9BE48E8-BA2E-4758-85E8-9BA0771F962F

OP
OP

Pracis

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type R
Country flag
If I were to get one thing for this car, it would be an intercooler. No matter how you feel about your current power level, the intercooler is insufficient even at stock. It's tiny. Even just driving it around town it will prove to be insufficient. Other cooling mods like a radiator or oil cooler are overkill for streeting, but an intercooler is most definitely not.

Our ECUs pull power after even 100F intake temps, especially so on the stock tune. You will lose power up top significantly, especially in California weather and LA traffic. For me in Florida I'll start heatsoaking after ambients pass 76F or so unless I get on the highway.

So, if you like everything about the car, adding an intercooler will only prolong how long it stays fun on your drives, and it shouldn't affect any emissions laws or require a tune.

For the same reasons, adding an intake like PRL's high volume intake will increase power longevity due to the IAT2 boost compensation table. Our ECU takes into account both the pre and post intercooler temperatures for boost reduction. However, this is a very obvious mod and may not work for you in Cali. But damn does it sound good..
Actually I am interested in getting an IC. Oh and an Eventuri... something about that intake really caught my eye. But that's it! :fingerscrossed:

@hpbyhermann very nice FK8 you got there!
Sponsored