New engine smell

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
How long should that "new engine smell" last on a new car? I am approaching 1,000 miles and I still smell it when I get out of the car after I pull into the garage after a drive. It is that "burning oil" type smell - components getting hot and out-gassing, etc. Just wondering how long that should last before suspecting a problem.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How long should that "new engine smell" last on a new car? I am approaching 1,000 miles and I still smell it when I get out of the car after I pull into the garage after a drive. It is that "burning oil" type smell - components getting hot and out-gassing, etc. Just wondering how long that should last before suspecting a problem.
If you're driving more than 10 miles or 20-30 minutes at a time and still have a "burning oil" smell after a 100 miles, you have a problem - take it in.

OP
OP

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you're driving more than 10 miles or 20-30 minutes at a time and still have a "burning oil" smell after a 100 miles, you have a problem - take it in.
I generally drive very short trips to work and back. Today was the warmest day of the year so far and I drove it for about 25 minutes (part of that uphill). The smell was very strong in the garage and when I opened the hood, the engine was obviously extremely hot. It is like a "hot metal/plastic" smell, but very strong. It also smells like any car does after an oil change. I figured by now that would have worn off. If I take it in for service, they will probably roll their eyes and say it is normal.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
There are lots of plastics, sealants, and similar under there that can out-gas when hot for a long time. Like months. You say "the engine was obviously extremely hot" but was the water temperature needle outside the usual center of the band? I'm thinking that if they were to roll their eyes and say it is normal they would likely be correct. They smell a lot more new Hondas hot under the hood than any of us do.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
The only smell I've ever noticed from mine is the horrid leather seat smell (worse than most) which is finally starting to dissipate after 2 months. I always park in a garage and immediately close the door as it's winter. Never had an engine smell.

OP
OP

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
There are lots of plastics, sealants, and similar under there that can out-gas when hot for a long time. Like months. You say "the engine was obviously extremely hot" but was the water temperature needle outside the usual center of the band? I'm thinking that if they were to roll their eyes and say it is normal they would likely be correct. They smell a lot more new Hondas hot under the hood than any of us do.
Yes, the temperature gauge was in the normal range. By extremely hot, I meant that when I opened the hood, I could feel a blast of heat emanate from the engine compartment. I guess it is normal - I just don't want to burn something up if there is something wrong. That said, it is under warranty, so Honda will have to fix it if it does...

OP
OP

PS3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The only smell I've ever noticed from mine is the horrid leather seat smell (worse than most) which is finally starting to dissipate after 2 months. I always park in a garage and immediately close the door as it's winter. Never had an engine smell.
Hmmm... That is interesting. You have never smelled the "fresh oil change" smell after getting out of the car in your garage? Maybe it has been driving cool because of the Ohio winter? Today was 70F outside for the first time today and I drove it on the interstate shortly before parking it. I'm just going to ignore it for now.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
With my old car, I changed my own oil for the last 40K miles and yes, for a day or two I'd smell the fresh oil smell, but that's because I could never start a perfect pour on that five quart oil bottle.

It is cool in Ohio, and I actually find this car to run cooler than my Jetta, which surprised me. My Jetta would warm the garage for a couple of hours after getting home. This one isn't nearly so warm... which will be great in the summer if it holds true, but disappointing in the winter as I was used to my garage getting some free heat.

Dsgstp8d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 335 coupe, '17 hatch sport
Country flag
Glad I found this thread because I was very alarmed by the smell of the car after getting home from the dealership. First brand new car I've ever bought and had no idea what to expect. I have noticed quite a bit of what just seems to be condensation coming from the exhaust but was under the impression that after the car warms up you shouldn't see it anymore. After about a 15 minute drive, condensation was billowing out. Granted it was also about 45° outside, still fairly alarming. I took it for another drive today and could still see it although not quite as bad and the weather was a bit warmer. Is this another byproduct of a brand new engine or could there be something potentially wrong with the car?

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I remember there was a new owner on here that smelled this and he found out they didn't put oil in his car :headbang:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Glad I found this thread because I was very alarmed by the smell of the car after getting home from the dealership. First brand new car I've ever bought and had no idea what to expect. I have noticed quite a bit of what just seems to be condensation coming from the exhaust but was under the impression that after the car warms up you shouldn't see it anymore. After about a 15 minute drive, condensation was billowing out. Granted it was also about 45° outside, still fairly alarming. I took it for another drive today and could still see it although not quite as bad and the weather was a bit warmer. Is this another byproduct of a brand new engine or could there be something potentially wrong with the car?
Nah, keep it running and don't shut it off until it reaches half up the temp gauge. Best for the motor, esp when new.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Might be a stupid suggestion, but look under your car to make sure you didn't run over a plastic bag.

My previous car smelled like death, and when I took it to the shop they put it on the hoist and found a Safeway bag had fused itself to the top of the muffler, and was just burning/melting as it got hot.
Sponsored