Crystax

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Factory pads are metallic based and won’t easily overheat like ceramics. People like to recommend ceramics because of less noise and dust at cost of performance. Brembos always squeal.
Thanks for the explanation. Are there other brands of pads that are metallic based which are better than brembo? Or is brembo a top of the line brand?
Sponsored

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
EBC Redstuff, Hawk 5.0, or Paragon/Winmax P2, StopTech Street, and StopTech Sport will be good street options for you to consider if the stock pads are noisier than you'd like. I'm currently running StopTech Sport on my 2020 as well, and they have not squealed at all. My summer Paragon/Winmax R5 street and track pads however announce my arrival at every stop/light ?

I've got a comprehensive list of pads and other braking parts, all with confirmed fitment listed on my site for the CTR: https://unity-performance.com/collections/2017-civic-type-r?pf_pt_product_type=Braking

CTRnFun

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you looking for good quiet low dust pads, Duralast Max Ceramic Brake Pads DGC1001 very good front pads for DD. The rear pads are Duralast Elite Copper-Free Ceramic Brake Pads DE1878. I no longer have any brake squeal now and the dust is very light after initial break in. These are not for performance but the car still stops on a dime. They will probably wear the rotors faster than the stock. They will continue to be my pad of choice unless I see some negative results after more time on them. I paid no more than $120 for the pads, brake fluid, and a spreader tool. Fronts are so easy I thought I missed something at first. The rears are a different story. The EPB must be off. You don't need the tools that turn the hydraulic brake pistons or the electronic devices that allow you to use a service mode. The easiest way is to remove the EPB devices from the calipers, then slowly turn the now revealed EPB gear connection point until it stops. I forget the direction but I think it is clockwise. Lots of info on this out there. If you have the tools and a viable place to do it, you will never pay for pad installation again when you see how easy it is.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
FWIW my stock brembo pads never squeaked. That was with probably 50ish autocross runs and 14k+ miles on them

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
my stock brakes dont squeak at all. unlike the mustang which was embarrassing.

OP
OP

Crystax

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I’ve been using Girodisc SS pads (street/track) for fronts and Girodisc Magic pads for rears for about 2.5 years.

Work great, no noise, low dust and good stopping power. They seem to last about 20k miles or so, with some track days included.

Reasonably priced also. Can buy direct from Girodisc.

The noise could also be due to brake dust or a rock getting stuck between the rotor and dust shield (a common problem for the FK8)

I also have Girodisc front rotors and never have had a brake/rock/noise issue, since the upgrade.
After reading your comment I decided to see if brake dust build up could be the issue. I took my hose and went to town. Took it out for a drive and, low and behold, the brake squealing was reduced by 90%!

I have learned over the past few months that performance brakes can cause a lot of dust, but I figured it was just a cosmetic annoyance and didn't think it would stick to the disks and cause increased noise.

Thanks a lot for bringing up that brake dust could be the issue. Now moving forward i will make sure to clean the brake disks in addition to cleaning my rims :)
Sponsored