Crystax

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hey Everyone, first time on this forum. :)

I recently purchased a 2020 CTR, but noticed that my OEM breaks are really loud and squeaky when I break at low speeds. It's gotten to the point I am embarrassed to drive in town because I turn heads when I brake.

I don't know if I will ever get to take this thing on a track, so I am looking for some good daily drivers that are quiet. I don't mind spending more for something that is better performance, but it needs to not squeak and drive me crazy. I would love some recommendations as I am new to this car scene :) Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Credit to fatherpain for pointing out that brake dust could be causing increased noise. I had been cleaning my rims but never once thinking to wipe/spray down the disks. Sure enough there was a decent amount of brake dust built up. Once I cleaned the disks the brake squeal decreased by 90%, back down to a normal level.

Thanks for all the brake pad recommendations. When it comes time to swapping my pads I now have the info in this thread to fall back on :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Quip

First Name
Paper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rallye Red
Country flag
You sacrifice performance with quieter pads. OEM pads are great for day to day driving.

Akebono, Hawk are also another option.

OP
OP

Crystax

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
You sacrifice performance with quieter pads. OEM pads are great for day to day driving.

Akebono, Hawk are also another option.
Yeah I know there will be some performance loss, but these OEM's are just too loud. Do you experience this as well?

Any brakepads in particular from those brands you recommended?

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
(I don't own a type R but I am currently using wilwood BBK)
I had similar experience as OP.
Dashcam of the noise when braking:

I probably received a defective brake pads when upgrading to BBK, Whenever it comes to a stop, the left brake just SCREAMS louder than car horn and was very embarrassing. I brought to my shop and they grinded the pad but it was still screaming. so I just got project mu PS street pads. And Im in love with how smooth it feels.

For OE brakes there was virtually no noise. And most street brake pads should fix the extreme loud noise. (I think you maybe fine with a new set of OE brake pads if it is embarrassingly loud) But almost all street spec pads will be fine.

carrot_chaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Never had an issue with my OEM brake pads squeaking, are you sure they arent worn out?

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve been using Girodisc SS pads (street/track) for fronts and Girodisc Magic pads for rears for about 2.5 years.

Work great, no noise, low dust and good stopping power. They seem to last about 20k miles or so, with some track days included.

Reasonably priced also. Can buy direct from Girodisc.

The noise could also be due to brake dust or a rock getting stuck between the rotor and dust shield (a common problem for the FK8)

I also have Girodisc front rotors and never have had a brake/rock/noise issue, since the upgrade.

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
If you are sure that the noise is not coming from some debris, you need to focus on the type of material that the pads are made out of. Do a google search for low noise brake compound and that should teach you how to shop for your next set of pads.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Hey Everyone, first time on this forum. :)

I recently purchased a 2020 CTR, but noticed that my OEM breaks are really loud and squeaky when I break at low speeds. It's gotten to the point I am embarrassed to drive in town because I turn heads when I brake.

I don't know if I will ever get to take this thing on a track, so I am looking for some good daily drivers that are quiet. I don't mind spending more for something that is better performance, but it needs to not squeak and drive me crazy. I would love some recommendations as I am new to this car scene :) Thanks in advance!
Welcome.

Since I assume your car was purchased used...are you positive a previous owner did not swap out the pads already? You may not have OEM pads installed and its as easy as checking and swapping back to OEM pads? Just a thought...

OP
OP

Crystax

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Welcome.

Since I assume your car was purchased used...are you positive a previous owner did not swap out the pads already? You may not have OEM pads installed and its as easy as checking and swapping back to OEM pads? Just a thought...
Good thought. Perhaps I am incorrect is assuming I have OEMs. I will have to take a look :)

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
Good thought. Perhaps I am incorrect is assuming I have OEMs. I will have to take a look :)
pretty sure you don't have oem pads if not a rock stuck in the dust shield. Stock car just so quiet that I don't like. Use those loud track pads so you don't need to horn at someone moving slow anymore?.

Firthy13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Welcome, I have an '18 with 35000KMs and still on the original OEM pads (I do alot of highway driving). I have never had a single noise out of my brakes other than a few squealing rocks caught in the rock guard. Might be worth picking up a new set of OEM front pads and swapping them out. It's easy to do yourself, heaps of YouTube videos. Maybe your pads got contaminated with oil or other fluids.

SpoonFK8R

Alright let's try to turn this into a positive conversation. I am clearly new to the world of cars, but I am eager to learn. You keep throwing the term "Ceramics" around. Assuming i actually have OEM brakes, are they not ceramic? What type of brakes are there and what are they made from?
Factory pads are metallic based and won’t easily overheat like ceramics. People like to recommend ceramics because of less noise and dust at cost of performance. Brembos always squeal.