Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I just don’t understand how people just ignore this? It drives me completely insane and isn’t something a brand new car should be doing. It should not lock you out of a gear for 8k at least and then just fix itself.
I'm not sure at what mileage it completely stopped doing it. I figured the transmission maybe needed a little bit of breaking in which seemed to be the case. I was also going to change out the transmission fluid if it didn't get any better. I never even considered taking it in and leaving it at the dealer to be honest, I've had too many bad experiences and there's no way I'd leave my car overnight.
Sponsored

josh8604

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR BBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Basically yes. Using it as a daily. Only option they gave me to even think about getting it fixed. I apparently am the only Type R owner who cares to figure out what the 4th gear lockout is all about.
I am sorry but that is ridiculous. You have a Type R, not a standard civic. They should treat that car with priority and be more caring about the fact that it is happening in the first place. Do you think if you took one of their techs for a test drive you could replicate it in front of them?

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R, 2018 civic Type R
Country flag
I am sorry but that is ridiculous. You have a Type R, not a standard civic. They should treat that car with priority and be more caring about the fact that it is happening in the first place. Do you think if you took one of their techs for a test drive you could replicate it in front of them?
Just left the Honda dealership with my car! When’s on a test drive and got it to do it twice with all computers plugged in and ready to capture any data possible. After doing it twice we went back and data has been sent to Honda National Techs. Hopefully will know next week!

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Basically yes. Using it as a daily. Only option they gave me to even think about getting it fixed. I apparently am the only Type R owner who cares to figure out what the 4th gear lockout is all about.
No it's not that. I think you're jumping on the issue a little fast. Most people understand the engine and transmission needs to work itself in. Seemingly more with the 2019s. Seems like they may have had tighter tolerances out the gate. Just gathering this from posts from different sources and is my opinion. I'm going for another drive now. See if it happens at all. I am going to change out the transmission fluid for the AMS Oil Synchromesh because Honda transmission fluid has never been very good. Most likely around 5-8k miles.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No it's not that. I think you're jumping on the issue a little fast. Most people understand the engine and transmission needs to work itself in. Seemingly more with the 2019s. Seems like they may have had tighter tolerances out the gate. Just gathering this from posts from different sources and is my opinion. I'm going for another drive now. See if it happens at all. I am going to change out the transmission fluid for the AMS Oil Synchromesh because Honda transmission fluid has never been very good. Most likely around 5-8k miles.
Almost getting hit from behind because you go to downshift and your car simply doesn’t go into gear isn’t something I just want to let break in. I would understand letting it go if i was in a situation where it happens once or twice a month. Mine is about 4/10 going into 4th.

OneSickFK8

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM FK8
Country flag
Almost getting hit from behind because you go to downshift and your car simply doesn’t go into gear isn’t something I just want to let break in. I would understand letting it go if i was in a situation where it happens once or twice a month. Mine is about 4/10 going into 4th.
Ahh well that seems extremely high. I've only had 4-5 in three months. Hopefully the dealer takes care of it.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I find it hard to believe there are no other reported cases of this. Even if there were no "official" reported cases Honda ain't stupid. They know their trannies are fucking up.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Mine happened maybe a handful of times total while I had the car (4-5 times total). I did have a 2nd gear grind as well, but again only a handful of times (4-5 times). After 12-15k all of it stopped completely. The one thing that I did notice is that I never had any issues getting into gear if I wasn't shifting aggressively/quickly. The only gear I had issues with when not shifting aggressively/quickly was 1st and reverse from a stop sometimes (though I've had other manual cars with this issue as well). That being said, in every case, there was a chance that it was driver error.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Just left the Honda dealership with my car! When’s on a test drive and got it to do it twice with all computers plugged in and ready to capture any data possible. After doing it twice we went back and data has been sent to Honda National Techs. Hopefully will know next week!
Just asking but. You left car with dealer. People drove it for couple days, various people, and they couldn't replicate it. You get in drive it and do it twice? Am I reading that right? So it does not happen when anyone else but you drives it? Hummm

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Just asking but. You left car with dealer. People drove it for couple days, various people, and they couldn't replicate it. You get in drive it and do it twice? Am I reading that right? So it does not happen when anyone else but you drives it? Hummm
The OP says he owns a 17' which it never happens in. I can attest to the fact it's not driver error, it used to happen to me quite regularly and I've never had the issue before with any car coming from a 2017 GT350 and a 2010 SI along with multiple other manual cars. No matter how slowly I downshifted into 4th with the clutch all the way depressed it just wouldn't go into gear, a quick shift into third then 4th would let me into gear though. The more I drove the less it happened making me think the transmission needed some breaking in. I do find that the transmission definitely does have its quirks.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well if you read you can see I have 2 CTRs. Only one does it. No, it’s not that I only got it to do it because I was driving. I’ve read for 3 days post of people saying when theirs does it, how to best get it to replicate and could not get a pattern. I finally got in the car drove all around until I could figure out how to make it do it. If you go from 5th to 4th between 30-45mph it was locking me out so they could capture data. This is clearly not a drivers error as everyone else has mentioned also.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I find it hard to believe there are no other reported cases of this. Even if there were no "official" reported cases Honda ain't stupid. They know their trannies are fucking up.
Exactly my point! I think it’s because I’m a female too they just look at me like it’s a girl, what does she know? Lol ... If everyone is saying it, even on here HONDA KNOWS! How is it now, I’m going to become the test dummy because I first reported it... I am coming up with the fact that a lot of people just let it break in which I understand but I think mine might be a little more excessive. Happens about 4/10 times now.

OP
OP
Casstyperawr

Casstyperawr

First Name
Cassidy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mine happened maybe a handful of times total while I had the car (4-5 times total). I did have a 2nd gear grind as well, but again only a handful of times (4-5 times). After 12-15k all of it stopped completely. The one thing that I did notice is that I never had any issues getting into gear if I wasn't shifting aggressively/quickly. The only gear I had issues with when not shifting aggressively/quickly was 1st and reverse from a stop sometimes (though I've had other manual cars with this issue as well). That being said, in every case, there was a chance that it was driver error.
Ah i see. Mine is only 4th gear issue, only happens on one of my CTR and I have 2. I know for a fact it is not drivers error. It started off as irritating and now it’s just not safe. 4/10 it’s not going into 4th. I can be at 6500rpm and shift or at 3200rpm and shift. Doesn’t matter up, down it just does it when it feels. I figured out to get it to replicate going about 30-45 in 5th and downshifting into 4th it was about 8/10 it wouldn’t go in.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Well if you read you can see I have 2 CTRs. Only one does it. No, it’s not that I only got it to do it because I was driving. I’ve read for 3 days post of people saying when theirs does it, how to best get it to replicate and could not get a pattern. I finally got in the car drove all around until I could figure out how to make it do it. If you go from 5th to 4th between 30-45mph it was locking me out so they could capture data. This is clearly not a drivers error as everyone else has mentioned also.
Didn't mean to offend I was going only off your last post before my comment. I was confused and why I put question marks. It did sound that way from the way you worded it sorry. Also your thread title says new CTR owner...obviously you are not so... maybe your wording could be cleared up a bit?
Hope you get it worked out. And just asking does it do it weather rev match is on or off? have you tried it both ways? just curious. Perhaps rev match is getting in the way?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
You have a paper trail now with the dealer. Might just take it getting worse for them to finally replace something. Good luck!

Also, can you get it on video? Do you have a dash cam in the car that you can put to see if the dealer tech is able to replicate as well?
Sponsored