New CTR owner! Help!

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
Took mine into a dealership and regretfully let a technician beat on it to replicate it. He was able to duplicate the 5-4 downshift lockout and I made an official claim for lemon law purposes. I paid to have the transmission fluid drained and replaced. It significantly helped but still getting 5-4 lockouts. I think it’s a design flaw of some type at this point.
Sponsored

Tkellyho

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R 2019 F350
Country flag
That’s crazy to have to change the trans fluid on a new car already,I guess I’m gone try to take mine to a dealer and see what happens

Anyone in Georgia know a good Honda dealer in state that won’t bs you with the service cause the few I live around haven’t even seen a CTR

CTR-19418

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
For me I have experienced 4th gear lockouts on my 18 type r as well as the occasional 2nd gear grind. Not a good feeling. Anyone having the same issue?

CTR-19418

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Took mine into a dealership and regretfully let a technician beat on it to replicate it. He was able to duplicate the 5-4 downshift lockout and I made an official claim for lemon law purposes. I paid to have the transmission fluid drained and replaced. It significantly helped but still getting 5-4 lockouts. I think it’s a design flaw of some type at this point.
I agree, it’s too bad Honda hasn’t addressed this with the type r. I drove my car all summer and it gets annoying fast. I’m curious about the New 2020.. wonder if it will be the same.

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
I agree, it’s too bad Honda hasn’t addressed this with the type r. I drove my car all summer and it gets annoying fast. I’m curious about the New 2020.. wonder if it will be the same.
Considering all of the changes were for added safety, suspension, and looks both externally and internally, I wouldn’t count on it. there just haven’t been enough sales to statistically warrant an official notice and even if there was, they don’t currently have a solution to the problem. I think it’s the ECU dragging ass or false gating the downshifts to overprotect itself from overrev. It’s a nanny feature that’s overreacting and causing problems. I’ve noticed it most when I lug 5th and downshift quickly to 4th - the algorithm calculates it ahead of time incorrectly and causes a hang. Every time I get the lockout, I’m in low RPMs and mph 5th, in need of quickly downshifting to 4th. It’s aggravating but thankfully the fluid change has eliminated 5-4 lockout at highway speeds and I have not experienced a grind since then. Big improvement but not a solution at all.

CTR-19418

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Considering all of the changes were for added safety, suspension, and looks both externally and internally, I wouldn’t count on it. there just haven’t been enough sales to statistically warrant an official notice and even if there was, they don’t currently have a solution to the problem. I think it’s the ECU dragging ass or false gating the downshifts to overprotect itself from overrev. It’s a nanny feature that’s overreacting and causing problems. I’ve noticed it most when I lug 5th and downshift quickly to 4th - the algorithm calculates it ahead of time incorrectly and causes a hang. Every time I get the lockout, I’m in low RPMs and mph 5th, in need of quickly downshifting to 4th. It’s aggravating but thankfully the fluid change has eliminated 5-4 lockout at highway speeds and I have not experienced a grind since then. Big improvement but not a solution at all.
Thanks, really good info. I will be doing this as well on my Type R. And I’ll compare the before and after. It would be nice to get similar results. What is the fluid you used on your car? What is the mileage?

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
Thanks, really good info. I will be doing this as well on my Type R. And I’ll compare the before and after. It would be nice to get similar results. What is the fluid you used on your car? What is the mileage?
5500 miles, trans fluid change at 4400. OEM replacement fluid as to not void the factory warranty in case of needing to invoke lemon law. The OEM fluid does feel much more thick than what is used in the factory at assembly. It feels much more solid - a definite improvement.

CTR-19418

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
5500 miles, trans fluid change at 4400. OEM replacement fluid as to not void the factory warranty in case of needing to invoke lemon law. The OEM fluid does feel much more thick than what is used in the factory at assembly. It feels much more solid - a definite improvement.
On my 18 CTR, I currently have about 10000km(6kmiles) so it would be a wise decision at this point. Considering the severity of the issue I agree that for the cost of fluid and labour theres no thinking about it. Like you said its not a solution but hopefully will help in the long run. Ill definitely be adding it to my build thread as part of maintenance. I appreciate your input
Sponsored