New CTR owner! Help!

mbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Ah i see. Mine is only 4th gear issue, only happens on one of my CTR and I have 2. I know for a fact it is not drivers error. It started off as irritating and now it’s just not safe. 4/10 it’s not going into 4th. I can be at 6500rpm and shift or at 3200rpm and shift. Doesn’t matter up, down it just does it when it feels. I figured out to get it to replicate going about 30-45 in 5th and downshifting into 4th it was about 8/10 it wouldn’t go in.
My ‘19 CTR does the exact thing! I’m working with the dealer to diagnose it. We already recreated it with the master technician on a ride along, and I am back at the dealership for the master mechanic to run the car through what the Honda tech line needs. What number is yours? I’m 29,657, so not sure if there’s a bad set of alsynchros out there.
Sponsored

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If this is at all helpful, my dad bought a Camaro SS new in 2014 and it did a similar thing intentionally where if you go into high rpms in 1st the car would force you to shift to 4th and lock out 3rd and 2nd. Apparently it was some sort of fuel saving thing, which he took in and got rid of it within the first week because it was infuriating!

Could they have some similar system in the newer CTRs that instead locks out 4th? I know it's supposed to be the top of the line performance but I wouldn't put it past Honda to throw in some feature to save fuel in any way possible when they can.

Mat8754

First Name
Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
If this is at all helpful, my dad bought a Camaro SS new in 2014 and it did a similar thing intentionally where if you go into high rpms in 1st the car would force you to shift to 4th and lock out 3rd and 2nd. Apparently it was some sort of fuel saving thing, which he took in and got rid of it within the first week because it was infuriating!

Could they have some similar system in the newer CTRs that instead locks out 4th? I know it's supposed to be the top of the line performance but I wouldn't put it past Honda to throw in some feature to save fuel in any way possible when they can.
So the feature you are talking about is skip shift and affects up shifts and you row through the gears. This issue with the CTR generally occurs when you are downshifting from 5th to 4th. I took my car out yesterday to do some testing at various speeds and rpms down shifting from 5th to 4th and was not able to get it to happen. It used to happen to me almost every downshift from 5th to 4th so that has me convinced the transmission needed some breaking in.

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I had some (weirdly) 1st gear lock outs when i first got the car. But over time the issue just went away. Only happened like 4 times. Hopefully over time it goes away, but sorry to hear that man.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

Actually the 2nd gear lockout and 1->4 force shifting should only occur if you're giving it less than 25% throttle if I'm not mistaken. It's done for fuel efficiency reasons, but if you're giving it a lot of gas and not early shifting it will allow you into 2nd. CTR has no such feature fortunately and the 4th gear lockout/popout occurs sporadically on both up and downshifts.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I had some (weirdly) 1st gear lock outs when i first got the car. But over time the issue just went away. Only happened like 4 times. Hopefully over time it goes away, but sorry to hear that man.
This is common with manual transmissions in general. 1st and reverse happen more often. Mine tended to go away with time, but I'll still get them. Easiest way to deal with this is to shift into another gear, then immediately shift back into 1st without ever engaging the other gear. You're basically making stuff align better when you put it into a different gear (without engaging it).

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Ironically just had the 4th gear lockout when downshifting from 5th. I was roughly 3200 rpms and I was not shifting aggressively at all. Mine is a 2018 and has about 8200 miles on it. Looking forward to hearing your outcome. I really hate dealerships and I've only had it once so not likely to be reproducible on demand unfortunately. Ugh

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Ironically just had the 4th gear lockout when downshifting from 5th. I was roughly 3200 rpms and I was not shifting aggressively at all. Mine is a 2018 and has about 8200 miles on it. Looking forward to hearing your outcome. I really hate dealerships and I've only had it once so not likely to be reproducible on demand unfortunately. Ugh
As ironic as it seems, I got the lockout more often because I wasn't being forceful enough with the shifter vs not. I got the grind more often when I was being too quick with my shifts. Both went away with time though.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
As ironic as it seems, I got the lockout more often because I wasn't being forceful enough with the shifter vs not. I got the grind more often when I was being too quick with my shifts. Both went away with time though.
That makes sense as I'm usually fairly deliberate in my throws. I was just being lazy I suppose. I will definitely be more attentive to notice any patterns now though. Thanks for the info

m@TR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R [CW]
Country flag
I haven’t taken mine in to the dealership because I don’t want employees joy riding my new car only to tell me they’ve found nothing. I’m hoping to take it in for a transmission flush as I’ve read the replacement fluid is much better than the garbage the use at the assembly line. I’m at 4400 miles and had it happen 3x today after not driving it for a week or so and letting it sit. Following that someone can get resolution here.

mbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The Honda tech line told the master technicians to be deliberate on the downshift from 5 to 4. Basically don’t half ass it and use some speed and force. I haven’t driven much after my visit last week, but I will be trying this new method to see how it works.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
The Honda tech line told the master technicians to be deliberate on the downshift from 5 to 4. Basically don’t half ass it and use some speed and force. I haven’t driven much after my visit last week, but I will be trying this new method to see how it works.
I have had this issue on both slow and fast downshifts from 5th to 4th. It feels like something is blocking it or in the way of shifting as even using moderate force to push it in, nothing happens unless I lift the clutch a little and press it back down.

EDIT: I haven't read the entire thread, but have you tried driving without the Rev Match and seeing if the behaviour is any different?

mbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have had this issue on both slow and fast downshifts from 5th to 4th. It feels like something is blocking it or in the way of shifting as even using moderate force to push it in, nothing happens unless I lift the clutch a little and press it back down.

EDIT: I haven't read the entire thread, but have you tried driving without the Rev Match and seeing if the behaviour is any different?
Yeah I confirmed it with the dealer with and without rev match. Same symptoms, so we know it’s not dependent rev match.

Tkellyho

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R 2019 F350
Country flag
Mine does it only when I’m downshifting from 6th to 4th and on occasion when I’m driving spirited

19 with only 2600 miles

Tkellyho

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R 2019 F350
Country flag
Anyone find out anything on maybe getting the issue fixed??
Sponsored