New Clutch Time...

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I just broke 40k miles on my '19, about 12k tuned, anddd i finally got some clutch slippage.

Kinda knew this was coming sooner or later, which is why I haven't installed the RV6 DP sitting in my garage lol, and I'm prepared to order a new clutch.

After some research, I'm looking at ordering the following:

ACT - Street (sprung) Clutch kit (I'll never touch 363 torque)
PRL SS Clutch Line
New OEM Throw out bearing
KzCMC
Get a CDV delete when its installed

Looks like Unity offers this in one package with a long lead time. Anyone have any experience with them for this package? I've never dealt with a clutch replacement before, so I was hoping to get some feedback on this and see if I'm missing anything.

Side note: I recently got the AWE Touring triple chrome tip exhaust installed. I'm gonna put a vid together and post that in a separate thread sometime soon. I'm a huge fan of it. Absolutely zero buyers remorse for that price-tag.
Sponsored

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wassup buddy, I see you're in NJ

I'm actually selling my Eman's Type R Retrofit Clutch + KZCMC + steel braided line if you're interested, I'm in Fort Lee

I can also recommend you to a 10th gen specialty shop near me for your clutch install/cdv delete, I've routed a bunch of members here to this shop and they all have had good reviews

madchiller

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have the same setup minus the cdv delete but i do have the prl turbo kit. i dont find the cdv delete necessary at all. i would suggest not doing it at first and see how you like it before jumping on it right away.

KOIVUN1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si CBP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wassup buddy, I see you're in NJ

I'm actually selling my Eman's Type R Retrofit Clutch + KZCMC + steel braided line if you're interested, I'm in Fort Lee

I can also recommend you to a 10th gen specialty shop near me for your clutch install/cdv delete, I've routed a bunch of members here to this shop and they all have had good reviews
hey man, not sure if you're selling local only but my clutch is slipping in 2nd on map 1. if sperry doesn't want it, i'd be more than willing to pay shipping + extra. im in chicago area

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
Definitely the way to go… it will be the route I go. Crazy 4-6 month lead time!

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
i have the same setup minus the cdv delete but i do have the prl turbo kit. i dont find the cdv delete necessary at all. i would suggest not doing it at first and see how you like it before jumping on it right away.
Only thing is Idt id want to pay someone to get in there and do the CDV delete on its own. From what I heard it’s either do it when you change the clutch or not at all.

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I did the CDV delete myself and couldn't tell the difference in engagement. For as much of a pain in the ass it was to pull the little part out, I wouldn't do it again. If you are drag racing and need every fraction of a second to beat the next guy, it might be something to consider, but for the street, not worth the effort in my opinion. The stainless clutch line may also fit this category. I change my rubber line out also, but can't feel much difference on engagement. I can feel the throw out bearing in the pedal, but can't sense any improvement in engagement. Looks cool when the line is clean, but not worth the effort for the street.

I have the CM FX350 with aluminum flywheel. Nice package, but takes a bit to get used to when easing into first gear and reverse for public roads. Most people will find it annoying if they are expecting a factory feel. However, when you rev the bitch up, the clutch is very smooth and grabs just fine. I autocross my car, so I launch it at most races. That's where this clutch is most useful. An organic disc is what you want for the street.

icemansi

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2009 Fit Sport
Country flag
I did the CDV delete myself and couldn't tell the difference in engagement. For as much of a pain in the ass it was to pull the little part out, I wouldn't do it again. If you are drag racing and need every fraction of a second to beat the next guy, it might be something to consider, but for the street, not worth the effort in my opinion. The stainless clutch line may also fit this category. I change my rubber line out also, but can't feel much difference on engagement. I can feel the throw out bearing in the pedal, but can't sense any improvement in engagement. Looks cool when the line is clean, but not worth the effort for the street.

I have the CM FX350 with aluminum flywheel. Nice package, but takes a bit to get used to when easing into first gear and reverse for public roads. Most people will find it annoying if they are expecting a factory feel. However, when you rev the bitch up, the clutch is very smooth and grabs just fine. I autocross my car, so I launch it at most races. That's where this clutch is most useful. An organic disc is what you want for the street.
I Oftenwondered if you could really feel a difference with SS line and CDV delete… thanks for that answer!!! ?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I have the CM FX350 with aluminum flywheel. Nice package, but takes a bit to get used to when easing into first gear and reverse for public roads. Most people will find it annoying if they are expecting a factory feel.
Why? Because it supplies so much more torque to the wheels when launching?

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
There is chatter when taking off easy. Sometimes you need to push the clutch in and rev past 2,000 rpm and slip it for a smooth, but aggressive start. Not that great in stop and go traffic. I have learned to slip it just above idle until I get rolling, then let it out. Wife doesn't complain as much then. When you want to really get going, take it up past 2 grand and slip the clutch more aggressively and hope you have tires to handle it. Organic discs are much more forgiving for the street.

ergoodfellow

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag
I have a 2020 sport hatch with 44k miles. Looking to replace clutch. I noticed on twostepperformance, the ACT clutch was recently updated to say it only works with 2016-2019 civics. Anyone know why this is??

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
ACT should be shipping clutches in November last i heard.
Sounds about right. I have had a few clutches come through in August that have gone out to folks who ordered in Spring, still awaiting nearly 2 dozen kits for stock/orders.

What I've learned and have started recommending is begin saving up $ on the side for a clutch, choose your trusted shop and order 3-6 months prior to wanting/needing a clutch because this shortage will go on for another 12 months minimum. If you want to do a clutch job in late 2021-early 2022, order sooner to have it ready when you want it.

February - April I was getting daily requests for clutch kits from frantic folks who's OE clutch was on it's last legs, and they had to choose whatever any shop would push on them because they needed the car to get to work etc., not a first-choice kit like ACT, Comp Stage 2 etc.

OP
OP
SperryCTR

SperryCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Sounds about right. I have had a few clutches come through in August that have gone out to folks who ordered in Spring, still awaiting nearly 2 dozen kits for stock/orders.

What I've learned and have started recommending is begin saving up $ on the side for a clutch, choose your trusted shop and order 3-6 months prior to wanting/needing a clutch because this shortage will go on for another 12 months minimum. If you want to do a clutch job in late 2021-early 2022, order sooner to have it ready when you want it.

February - April I was getting daily requests for clutch kits from frantic folks who's OE clutch was on it's last legs, and they had to choose whatever any shop would push on them because they needed the car to get to work etc., not a first-choice kit like ACT, Comp Stage 2 etc.
So you guys got the ACT package with the KzCmc advertised as a package. What lead time am I really looking at here? 3-6 months?
Sponsored