First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the car this last week with 5mi on the odometer. I do around 65mi/day of highway and stop and go. So, around 22k mi a year. For my first oil change I am considering the following:

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 OR Liquimoly 2208 0W-20 Special Tec AA
Fram Ultra Guard (also consider M1 filter)
LiquiMoly Cera Tec Friction Modifier

I will be installing a catch can this week. If I see a fair amount of oil in the can when it comes time for the oil change, I may do intake and PCV cleaning:
SeaFoam on intake and vacuum or Liqui Moly 2033 Pro-Line Intake System Purge

I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time. Before it, I had a 1993 Camry for 13 years.
I did see something curious though, when using the oil finder on Mobil's site... it recommended 0w-20 or 0w-30. Thoughts?
Sponsored

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
You are correct! Fuel additives like that, especially when used as an intake or fog style, rape a turbocharged direct injected motor. See YouTube for a brilliant Ford techs explanation of what cleaners do to these motors. FordTechMakuloco.

While it covers their ecoboost platform, the base idea is the same.

1. Knocking carbon deposits loose that don't burn completely have the potential to damage fins on the turbine wheel.

2. Increase of chemical contents can wash the bearings in the turbo, increasing heat exponentially, and basically burning it up from the inside out.

The OP has a naturally aspirated engine on his EX model, so that doesn't apply there. But, for turbo owners,

do not do this under any circumstances!!!!!
Apparently seafoam is a no no on direct injection cars.
And just use the manufacters reccomended 0-20.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I did see something curious though, when using the oil finder on Mobil's site... it recommended 0w-20 or 0w-30. Thoughts?
You'll want to stick with 0W-20. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobile 1 Extended Performance are both very good. For oil filter, use Honda 15400-PLM-A01.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll want to stick with 0W-20. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Mobile 1 Extended Performance are both very good. For oil filter, use Honda 15400-PLM-A01.
Thanks for the reply. From what I read about the 15400-PLM-A01, it is difficult to reliably get. Say I have holy oil and pristine driving habits, and maintenance minder doesn't make a peep for over 12 months. How good are the Honda filters for? Is there a resource where I can check the 20 micron efficiency rating?

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
Thanks for the reply. From what I read about the 15400-PLM-A01, it is difficult to reliably get. Say I have holy oil and pristine driving habits, and maintenance minder doesn't make a peep for over 12 months. How good are the Honda filters for? Is there a resource where I can check the 20 micron efficiency rating?
Available here https://www.handa-accessories.com/15400-PLM-A01.html & here https://www.amazon.com/Honda-15400-PLM-A01-Oil-Filters-Case/dp/B009K4H42Y

I buy in bulk to stock up for future oil changes.

The A01 revision is made by Filtech while the current A02 is made by Fram, which features lower quality materials. I don't know where you can check the 20 micron efficiency rating, maybe someone else can chime in?

Last edited:

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Yep, the ones from Mower Partsman are legit A01. I also got mine from Handa Accessories, they only sell A01. A01 is the way to go.

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
+1 for Mower Partsman on Amazon. I ordered one from him and got an A01, while "B2C Auto Parts" on Amazon incorrectly sent me an A02 instead.

FWIW, the factory one that came off of my car at my first oil change was an A02, and it did ok - here is my UOA from using the A02 for 125 miles beyond 0% on the Maintenance Minder.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you all for your replies and thoughts! I have decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and a Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter. Still, this is months away for me.
I don't feel any allegiance to strictly adhere to OEM parts, so I won't be going with a Honda Filter, but the reservations against filters like those below Fram ToughGuard enlightened me to the state of sub-par filters. Per the oil, I have researched and feel that Mobil 1 touts AFE benefits solely in respect to higher weight and viscosity oils, holds no benefit against better and purer synthetics base stocks, and that their advertised advantage does not apply to comparable synthetics of the same weight and viscosity. My wish is to preserve the healthiest condition of the powertrain on my new vehicle to provide years upon years for my own use, and/or maintain the best condition for honest resale many years from now onto a delighted buyer.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
I just did my first oil change after 11 months last week...Dealership had a deal going for $40 for Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic so went with that. Could have forked an extra $30 for the Platinum Ultra with free tire rotation but decided against it for this time. Maybe the next one.

For people looking for oil change deals, check your local Honda dealership webpages for service specials and someone has some deal going.

$40 for a full syn oil change isn't shabby at all

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used Wix filter for my 1st change, #57356XP. Anyone else use Wix?

hawk02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
The list of "real" 100% synthetic oils is kind of short, Amsoil SS, Motul, Total Quartz, RedLine, Torco and maybe 1 or 2 others. These are true Group4/5 PAO/Ester based synthetics not Group3 hydrocracked "regular" oils with high additive packages,,,,,just food for thought BUT Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum is a great oil. As for filters they ARE you get what you pay for items, Fram ultra is pretty good for a commercially available filter.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I used Wix filter for my 1st change, #57356XP. Anyone else use Wix?
Same here, will be using wix filter on my first oil change, I just found out that they got bought out by Mann, 1 of my favorite oil filter brand.

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda full synthetic 0w-20 oil and Honda filter......I don't own the turbo but I am confident that Honda's turbos won't suffer the same woes as the German DI turbos do in terms of carbon on the intake etc.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda full synthetic 0w-20 oil and Honda filter......I don't own the turbo but I am confident that Honda's turbos won't suffer the same woes as the German DI turbos do in terms of carbon on the intake etc.
that's just a problem endemic for DI. I already have a catch can so I'll still have to get cleaning done, just later.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
As for Honda Oil and Honda filter...someone has to be making it for Honda and even dealerships rarely use Honda oil per se and I don't see any distinct advantages to using a Honda branded engine oil over Pennzoil or Mobil (not like Honda adds some secret sauce in its oil for its engines).

As long as you stick to the oil weight recommendation from Honda, any brand oil should be good at 0w20. You can use full synthetic despite it is not mandatory but always preferred for better performance.

Chances are the oil you put in there is more than adequate for most people's driving patterns and mileage unless you rack up way over average mileage or drag race your car.

A decent full synthetic oil at 0W20 should be more than sufficient. Even a synthetic blend (which is what the dealer had it on when I bought mine) will be fine.
Sponsored